Why become a member? ×

Vintage Fenders

Reggaebass

As others have said, new pots have most likely been fitted because the old ones were knackered. Things wear out on basses: strings, pots, frets, even nuts can just split and break. Repair or chuck out? You know the answer to that. Another thought, if things have worn out, it means it’s been played - a lot, which means it’s a good one, otherwise it would be a case queen. Enjoy your new acquisition and don’t let the little things bother you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Lovely looking bass. Congratulations on a great purchase and enjoy it in good health.

I don’t know any collector types who are seriously put off by minor replacements of consumable parts that have a limited life, like frets, pots, even tuners.
Only one of my vintage Fenders is completely without repair/ replacement parts.

To me, the only things that would deter me from a purchase are refin (unless indecently cheap), modification to the wood/structure-routing etc and most important of all, it has to be a great bass, or what’s the point of having it?

As time goes by, the proportion of completely original basses, that are still fit for use, will reduce to tiny numbers. In 100 years, if there is still interest in such instruments, how many will have fully functional original electrics, even if they have been unused? Virtually none.

Another perspective is that paying a significant premium for a fully original, without minor maintenance repair, bass is a worrying liability. Your bass has changed pots, if it needs new frets, you’re not making the first repair/replacement, so not carrying the loss supposedly associated with it, although as said earlier, I don’t actually know anyone who is put off by maintenance that prevents a bass becoming simply an ornament. 
Pots. Why would you care? Other than if they didn’t work.

Edited by GuyR
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

Thank you ped, that’s the thing it feels and plays really good, I think I just need to get on with playing it and not worrying about things, excuse the messy bass room I’m moving things around 

966A16E6-5287-4B9A-A0E7-25E2646153BF.jpeg

Boom! Right there. Pots? Who cares about pots.

• Thanks 2

On 05/01/2023 at 19:22, Reggaebass said:

Thank you ped, that’s the thing it feels and plays really good, I think I just need to get on with playing it and not worrying about things, excuse the messy bass room I’m moving things around 

966A16E6-5287-4B9A-A0E7-25E2646153BF.jpeg

Many congratulations on your new purchase. I knew you were after one, so I'm really chuffed for you. It looks great too and just like my 69. Tony C.

Edited by clarkpegasus4001
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, mowf said:

Just seen this on Reverb:

https://reverb.com/uk/item/65208217-fender-precision-base-1964-fiesta-red

Seems pretty cheap if it is as described.

“Comes with original case”…. It doesn’t. Also looking at the condition of the neck compared with the body, it must be a refin. The inaccurate description is worrying, but still a reasonable price for a refin.

• Like 1

You're right, I hadn't spotted the "original case" bit in the description and it definitely looks like a refin.

I think on balance I'd prefer to pay extra and buy from a reputable dealer, just to have a little more peace of mind in the provenance. Not that I'm looking!

• Like 1

I know what they generally go for. I tried to tip off a good friend , but he passed. It’s only an hour and a half away. I don’t buy stuff to flip and mostly just buy what I might have a need for. 
Heck of a deal though …

• Like 1

2 hours ago, msb said:

I know what they generally go for. I tried to tip off a good friend , but he passed. It’s only an hour and a half away. I don’t buy stuff to flip and mostly just buy what I might have a need for. 
Heck of a deal though …

Vintage and trophey is near at anything, but not at musical instruments. There could be better sounding vintage jbass or p or new ones, the same for the price. I think it's all in eyes, hear and standart. All is in your heart, joy and happiness.

• Like 1

I have several guitarist friends that use the real tube driven Fender spring reverb. They have no interest in little pedals for that.

I picked up a Fender TreVerb pedal after buying a Squier VI. It’s perfectly fine for my limited needs. And there’s several reverbs in the Darkglass Suite for my Exponent if I want to go there.

The reissue spring reverbs often fetch around $1500 , vintage fetch double that. So $50 was a heck of a deal. It sold quickly , somebody got lucky.

• 3 weeks later...