Why become a member? ×

Vintage Fenders

Reggaebass

Just a thought...

Recently there seems to be more Vintage Fender basses for sale for sale than usual, priced very highly as always.

I wonder if this is because a lot of owners are trying to cash in on their assests during uncertain times or has the bubble burst and there's more available because they're not selling so easily. 

Overpriced now?

Not enough money going around?

Will we see a drop in prices?

What do you think?

I`d reckon it`s possible that the owners/sellers are trying to offload whilst they think that people still have some money left. Either that or they happen to need the money themselves, or due to increase in interest rates think they may get a better return with the money invested in accounts etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, miles'tone said:

Just a thought...

Recently there seems to be more Vintage Fender basses for sale for sale than usual, priced very highly as always.

I wonder if this is because a lot of owners are trying to cash in on their assests during uncertain times or has the bubble burst and there's more available because they're not selling so easily. 

Overpriced now?

Not enough money going around?

Will we see a drop in prices?

What do you think?

Dare I suggest a lot of a certain generation are beginning to drop off the twig…?

• Thanks 1

I'm actively looking for another vintage P bass, but every single one is about £1000 or more than I paid for my '73 only in February this year, and that was from ATB Guitars who I consider to be a "high end" dealer. Take that '71 at Reidy's for instance, £3999 and the fretboard is buggered. 

Are they actually selling, that's the question?

Rob

• Like 1

Ive a 1969 precision, which I bought two years ago as it was a not a particularly exciting year for production and asking prices weren't  up to much. Fortunately its a fine instrument in its own right and plays nicely, so I got a 'vintage'bass thst looks the part yet which is still  auite useable.

A few weeks ago we did a big gig for a group of equestrian customers (alas, none were in jodphurs on the night) and one of the guests, a bass player himself, offered me exactly 2.5 times what Id paid for it.  I don't need the cash and don't want to sell, but was a little taken aback at the profit that could be made by folk that have the knack of divining market trends in advance.

7 minutes ago, Bassfinger said:

Ive a 1969 precision, which I bought two years ago as it was a not a particularly exciting year for production and asking prices weren't  up to much. Fortunately its a fine instrument in its own right and plays nicely, so I got a 'vintage'bass thst looks the part yet which is still  auite useable.

A few weeks ago we did a big gig for a group of equestrian customers (alas, none were in jodphurs on the night) and one of the guests, a bass player himself, offered me exactly 2.5 times what Id paid for it.  I don't need the cash and don't want to sell, but was a little taken aback at the profit that could be made by folk that have the knack of divining market trends in advance.

Perhaps not a surprise that a guest at a horse riding event has got that kind of cash… I doubt you’d have had an offer like that if you’d been playing to a bunch of pigeon fanciers.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Bassfinger said:

I'm surprised you got a 69 for a reasonable price... well done.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, mowf said:

Perhaps not a surprise that a guest at a horse riding event has got that kind of cash… I doubt you’d have had an offer like that if you’d been playing to a bunch of pigeon fanciers.

Yes, we do 2 or 3 gigs a year at different events for this lot and they pay very, very well indeed.

44 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Auctioneer’s estimate is crazy. £5.5k + 31% fees… You’re looking at £9,000 for a refinished guitar that’s not in its original case. And the vendor “advises is working” - thanks for that!

I’d steer clear of this at £3,000

2 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

Auctioneer’s estimate is crazy. £5.5k + 31% fees… You’re looking at £9,000 for a refinished guitar that’s not in its original case. And the vendor “advises is working” - thanks for that!

I’d steer clear of this at £3,000

Estimate is only an estimate, anything can happen on the day 

17 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Estimate is only an estimate, anything can happen on the day 

It sets expectations though, and I’ve been to enough auctions to know how it works. Looks like a piece of junk to me, and is hardly collectible in its current state.

26 minutes ago, weezergeezer said:

In desperate need of a refin any colour but natural.. possible project for someone though

Is it likely that this started life as a sunburst then received a Selmer refinish in Fiesta Red before being stripped back to natural? If so refinishing as a sunburst would be really cool. How much would it cost to do a quality refinish?