Why become a member? ×

2 minutes ago, scrumpymike said:

There's been a few posts on here already from me and others about the Starstream basses. I absolutely love my A2S and consider it a steal for the £799 I paid. The original RRP was over £1300 and even then worth every penny IMHO. GLWTS if/when you get round to it.

Thanks regarding the H1. Just about to post it.

If the A2S was a steal at £799, the current price of £399 must be complete madness on Vox' behalf!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Obrienp said:

Thanks regarding the H1. Just about to post it.

If the A2S was a steal at £799, the current price of £399 must be complete madness on Vox' behalf!

They obviously need the storage space 🙂

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Aidan63 said:

I think you'll find they have all been sold out and won't be coming back into stock

Ah! I didn’t click through from the main bass page. However, there is a notify me when back in stock button. Confusing! They should update their web site really.

However, this all means my H1 is more desirable through scarcity. 😀 Now on the basses for sale listings.

Funny, I was just looking at that the other day because I wondered if they made lefty versions of their new Julietta guitar model. Odd why they would call it medium scale at 30.5"!

10 minutes ago, ped said:

This is a new one (to me at least)

Duesenberg Kavalier, 30.5" scale

About £2k though but the Triton bass they make is pretty cool sounding. Not 100% sold on the Art Deco style but I like the body shape.

https://reverb.com/uk/item/80823023-duesenberg-kavalier-bass-narvik-blue

Screenshot 2024-03-22 at 13.33.57.png

What’s a 4D bridge when it’s at home? Four dimensional? Sounds a bit sci-fi but I’m struggling to think what the fourth dimension could be.

Just looking at the body shape, I get the feeling neck dive could be a problem.

Really not sold on the looks TBH but great to have more choice in shorties though, even if it comes at a price!

On 03/12/2023 at 08:22, vates said:

Has anyone (who owns and plays both) compared a Serek and a Wilcock? Pickups configurations aside, how’s the feel and overall build quality different ? Cheers!

I've been the proud owner of a Serek MW2 5-string and a Wilcock Malarkey 4 for about a week now, so I can finally answer this question. I'll outline the similarities and differences, though ultimately I don't think anyone could go wrong with either.

First off, build quality is top notch on both (another user commented on sharp edges on the Wilcock but Viv seems to have addressed this). No high frets, no sharp edges, no gaps at the neck join (Serek is a set neck).

The necks, aside from being a 4- and 5-string, are quite different. the Serek is a much deeper C-shape (don't know about the MW 4s), while the Wilcock is just a bit shallower than my JMJ, but doesn't feel like a toy. The Serek pickups are louder, which is to be expected from Nordstrands, but input gains on amps are a thing. I've found that the Serek can get a very low action with out any 'snap' (I prefer a medium action, so my 'low' may be higher than yours), while the Wilcock will get that 'snap' more easily.

My only gripe about the Wilcock is I can't get the E string intonated perfectly (its 20-30 cents out), so I'm going to replace the screw in the bridge saddle.

I don't think anyone would be disappointed with the quality of either instrument, the only thing that will push you one way or another is your personal preference. You can easily try a Wilcock at the Bass Gallery (that's where I first played one), Sereks aren't as easy to try out, though not impossible.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, bassist_lewis said:

I've been the proud owner of a Serek MW2 5-string and a Wilcock Malarkey 4 for about a week now…

…my JMJ,

A Serek, a Wilcock and a JMJ? I have short scale collection envy.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, bassist_lewis said:

I've been the proud owner of a Serek MW2 5-string and a Wilcock Malarkey 4 for about a week now, so I can finally answer this question. I'll outline the similarities and differences, though ultimately I don't think anyone could go wrong with either.

First off, build quality is top notch on both (another user commented on sharp edges on the Wilcock but Viv seems to have addressed this). No high frets, no sharp edges, no gaps at the neck join (Serek is a set neck).

The necks, aside from being a 4- and 5-string, are quite different. the Serek is a much deeper C-shape (don't know about the MW 4s), while the Wilcock is just a bit shallower than my JMJ, but doesn't feel like a toy. The Serek pickups are louder, which is to be expected from Nordstrands, but input gains on amps are a thing. I've found that the Serek can get a very low action with out any 'snap' (I prefer a medium action, so my 'low' may be higher than yours), while the Wilcock will get that 'snap' more easily.

My only gripe about the Wilcock is I can't get the E string intonated perfectly (its 20-30 cents out), so I'm going to replace the screw in the bridge saddle.

I don't think anyone would be disappointed with the quality of either instrument, the only thing that will push you one way or another is your personal preference. You can easily try a Wilcock at the Bass Gallery (that's where I first played one), Sereks aren't as easy to try out, though not impossible.

Thanks!

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Obrienp said:

What’s a 4D bridge when it’s at home? Four dimensional? Sounds a bit sci-fi but I’m struggling to think what the fourth dimension could be.

Time is the 4th dimension, so I suppose that means it is somehow chronomatically adjustable, whatever that implies and however that is supposed to be useful on a bass. :scratch_one-s_head:

Maybe it insures that you always play in time, and can be adjusted to play respectively behind, on, or ahead of the beat?

Or perhaps it just means that this bridge is compatible with all tempos and time signatures...

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, pn_day said:

That sounds like the start of a very niche bass joke...

A Serek, a Wilcock and a JMJ walk into a bank and say, "We need all your money and don't short change us."

• Haha 4
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, bassist_lewis said:

Update on the E string intonation: I swapped it for a spare Dunlop flat I had lying around and intonation (and tone) are markedly improved! Maybe that's why they're so expensive!

On 14/03/2024 at 18:54, bassist_lewis said:

Played my first Wilcock over 2 years ago and finally placed an order last year. Arrived today. Its awesome! Only had a short noodle on it but its sounds killer, love the 'bridge' pickup, getting used the mudbucker, but overall it plays great and its PINK!

WhatsApp Image 2024-03-14 at 18.34.01.jpeg

Touch of Shergold, or Wal about the body. Nice. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, BassApprentice said:

I've noticed the Longhorn picking up a few fans recently, so this might interest you....

https://www.notreble.com/buzz/2024/03/22/danelectro-announces-the-red-hot-longhorn-bass/

image.thumb.png.e40cdfff968a2befb0efd9e1c676a1fd.png

That looks absolutely gorgeous!

Love these basses, and I regret so much being stupid enough to sell my Jerry Jones Neptune Longhorn Bass (sort of a high end boutique clone of the Danelectro Longhorn Bass that is no longer being made). 

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

3 hours ago, BassApprentice said:

I've noticed the Longhorn picking up a few fans recently, so this might interest you....

https://www.notreble.com/buzz/2024/03/22/danelectro-announces-the-red-hot-longhorn-bass/

image.thumb.png.e40cdfff968a2befb0efd9e1c676a1fd.png

Had a longhorn and foolishly sold it as I didn’t like the crème brûlée colour scheme…..but this looks awesome

Boring update from me (at least my wife struggled to feign interest). I got some longer screws for my bridge so I can intonate properly without the saddle being partially beyond the length of the screw. This necessitated a lot of research into the correct type, for which Fender were quite helpful but beaten to the punch by someone on Talkbass. 

If you look at most vintage mustangs you’ll see that the screws are not long enough to offer much adjustment, particularly in the D and G strings. Perhaps this is why the bridge is a tad further forward on reissues, who knows. 

Anyway the correct screws are Phillips UNC 6-32 2-1/2inch (or 2 inch for E and A). 

Exciting 😜

IMG_8515.jpeg

• Like 10