Why become a member? ×

• 2 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, uncle psychosis said:

Mustang fans, how close do they get to P sounds? 

For *reasons* I'd quite like something to cover that ballpark but without it being a long scale P. 

36 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Very near. As some on here may know I’m Precision mad, but had to make the change to short scale this year due to back issues and I’ve not been disappointed in any way with the sound of the Mustangs. 

I agree. My JMJ sounds so close to my old ‘63 P as makes no odds.

1 hour ago, uncle psychosis said:

Ha. 

If anyone wanted to be really, really, really, unhelpful they'd tell me which Mustang models have J necks too... 

The Japanese ones have J width necks. As do the Squier Classic Vibe 60s, which are very nice basses (I have a couple of these for gigging). Unless it’s gone our very own @FinnDave is selling one on here.

8 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

The Japanese ones have J width necks. As do the Squier Classic Vibe 60s, which are very nice basses (I have a couple of these for gigging). Unless it’s gone our very own @FinnDave is selling one on here.

Thanks, Lozz, the CV Mustang is, inexplicably, still for sale! The only time I have played it was when I tried it out in the shop.

The comparison below was posted on here earlier and is very useful. I can see myself joining the ranks of Mustang owners before long, probably with either a JMJ or Vintera ll '70s. Thomann's UK online store is a good place to compare all specs and relative pricing in one hit although interestingly the JMJ specs are the only ones that don't give the neck width at nut. I believe it's the wider 40mm+ version same as the Vintera, which is my preference. Can someone confirm this?

Mustang comparison review

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, scrumpymike said:

The comparison below was posted on here earlier and is very useful. I can see myself joining the ranks of Mustang owners before long, probably with either a JMJ or Vintera ll '70s. Thomann's UK online store is a good place to compare all specs and relative pricing in one hit although interestingly the JMJ specs are the only ones that don't give the neck width at nut. I believe it's the wider 40mm+ version same as the Vintera, which is my preference. Can someone confirm this?

Mustang comparison review

The JMJ is 40 or 41mm at the nut.

• Thanks 1

On 24/12/2023 at 22:53, uncle psychosis said:

Ha. 

If anyone wanted to be really, really, really, unhelpful they'd tell me which Mustang models have J necks too... 

If it helps at all, my Mexican PJ Mustang neck is much thinner than my JMJ. Dunno if it’s just luck, but I feel a decent difference in them side by side. 

The PJ feels the closest in neck width to my American Jaguar bass, which has a jazz neck as well I think. 

• Like 1

I’ve fallen back in love with mine. It’s a 2013 MIJ one with a jazz-width neck. I wasn’t using it much this year, as I’ve done lots of function gigs for which my active Yamahas were more versatile and better at covering a lot of different styles and sounds. 

However I took it to a gig on Friday and it fitted in perfectly. I took the Yamaha too and swapped to it halfway thru but it didn’t suit the music anything like as well as the Mustang.

I’d had a bit of a downer on it and was going to sell it but my eyes have been opened once again to its charms.

And of course, they look very cool.  

IMG_1124.jpeg

• Like 13

On 26/12/2023 at 19:52, bogleshake said:

If it helps at all, my Mexican PJ Mustang neck is much thinner than my JMJ. Dunno if it’s just luck, but I feel a decent difference in them side by side. 

The PJ feels the closest in neck width to my American Jaguar bass, which has a jazz neck as well I think. 

just measured my PJ which comes out at 38.6mm nut width. It's the ebony board FSR one, if that's relevant.

On 26/12/2023 at 19:59, Paul S said:

At the budget end of things, the Squier VM Mustang has a skinny 38mm width neck and the Musicmaster Vista Series is slightly deeper 40mm. 

The guitarist, in one of the bands I play in, also plays bass in another band. He bought one of the Squier VMs last year and has been very unhappy with the pickup set, which he describes as completely gutless. Admittedly, he is comparing it with his other bass, one of the more expensive Yamaha BBs. He said he has been unable to find a replacement set that will fit. Which gets me round to my question: is the Squier VM pickup set not the standard Mustang size?

24 minutes ago, Obrienp said:

The guitarist, in one of the bands I play in, also plays bass in another band. He bought one of the Squier VMs last year and has been very unhappy with the pickup set, which he describes as completely gutless. Admittedly, he is comparing it with his other bass, one of the more expensive Yamaha BBs. He said he has been unable to find a replacement set that will fit. Which gets me round to my question: is the Squier VM pickup set not the standard Mustang size?

Not sure, I don't have one any more to check.  But I'd probably agree with him, one reason I have never hung on to one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

Not sure but you can get nordstrand pickups for it I believe.

That's the jobbies!  I was trying to remember.  NM4.  I had a set fitted to one of the VM Mustangs and it was a massive improvement over stock.

• Like 1