Why become a member? ×

1 hour ago, vates said:

Lovely bass!

I've been toying with this idea of putting a TB pickup into a Fender shortie.

Got a leftover humbucker from Gibson LPDC Tribute bass.

Fully repackaged into a nickel cover, nickel baseplate and with a nickel ring.

Just don't want to ruin a Mustang bass: the model I like (JMJ) is good as-is.

Perhaps, I could find an old and previously abused MusicMaster.

Not sure if a TB pickup (plus a ring) would fit the smaller pickguard footprint.

Something to think about.

Cheers! I say go ahead - if you're interested in experimenting you could always route a neat pickup trench to accommodate a variety of pickups, then get a few scratchplates so once you have chosen your favourite you can cut out the shape on the PG to match. I've always subscribed to the notion that the location of the pickup is the most important factor as opposed to the variety of pickup itself, so I think in the same position the same mustang sound will be there plus or minus some character from the pickup.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, vates said:

Lovely bass!

I've been toying with this idea of putting a TB pickup into a Fender shortie.

Got a leftover humbucker from Gibson LPDC Tribute bass.

Fully repackaged into a nickel cover, nickel baseplate and with a nickel ring.

Just don't want to ruin a Mustang bass: the model I like (JMJ) is good as-is.

Perhaps, I could find an old and previously abused MusicMaster.

Not sure if a TB pickup (plus a ring) would fit the smaller pickguard footprint.

Something to think about.

You're unlikely to find a Musicmaster for a price your be happy with butchering.

I'd look at a more recent Squier offering, or maybe even a Bronco?

4 minutes ago, ped said:

Cheers! I say go ahead - if you're interested in experimenting you could always route a neat pickup trench to accommodate a variety of pickups, then get a few scratchplates so once you have chosen your favourite you can cut out the shape on the PG to match. I've always subscribed to the notion that the location of the pickup is the most important factor as opposed to the variety of pickup itself, so I think in the same position the same mustang sound will be there plus or minus some character from the pickup.

Thanks!

3 minutes ago, eude said:

You're unlikely to find a Musicmaster for a price your be happy with butchering.

I'd look at a more recent Squier offering, or maybe even a Bronco?

Yeah, maybe a Vista. 

I'll pass on a Bronco: need good wood and RW neck with a nice nut width to start with.

There are still plenty of abused MM basses (with their value lost for good) out there though.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, vates said:

There are still plenty of abused MM basses (with their value lost for good) out there though.

That's the way to do it - find one that's been modded already and do it again, properly. I've seen a few come up, mostly vastly overpriced, but I'll keep my eyes open for any more.

• Like 1

So for the last few months I've been gigging my Spector Bantam which I bought primarily due to the weight (7lb 8oz) but have found the ergonomics very much to my liking too as the body shape means the neck sits roughly where a 34" scale Fender would sit so I don't feel cramped at all. It's been a revelation in terms of comfort, playability and the day after a three hour gig I don't feel like I've been fighting as I have virtually no hand pain at all. 

On Saturday I was lucky enough to gig with my Spector and a Sandberg Lionel that may or may not become a long-term partnership. The electronics are great and it has a passive bypass too. Weight-wise it's 7lb 7oz and again, ergonomically to works really well for me. It gives me a real alternative sound-wise to my Spector which I find quite Hi-Fi and I really enjoyed playing it. I've sold a couple of basses recently so this one could replace those in my line up very nicely, but there is another Spector Bantam for sale at Bass Bros....

I can't see short scales ever fully replacing my 34" scale basses but they really are a joy to play. 

IMG_5668.jpeg

IMG_5669.jpeg

IMG_5710.jpeg

• Like 11

4 hours ago, Old Horse Murphy said:

So for the last few months I've been gigging my Spector Bantam which I bought primarily due to the weight (7lb 8oz) but have found the ergonomics very much to my liking too as the body shape means the neck sits roughly where a 34" scale Fender would sit so I don't feel cramped at all. It's been a revelation in terms of comfort, playability and the day after a three hour gig I don't feel like I've been fighting as I have virtually no hand pain at all. 

On Saturday I was lucky enough to gig with my Spector and a Sandberg Lionel that may or may not become a long-term partnership. The electronics are great and it has a passive bypass too. Weight-wise it's 7lb 7oz and again, ergonomically to works really well for me. It gives me a real alternative sound-wise to my Spector which I find quite Hi-Fi and I really enjoyed playing it. I've sold a couple of basses recently so this one could replace those in my line up very nicely, but there is another Spector Bantam for sale at Bass Bros....

I can't see short scales ever fully replacing my 34" scale basses but they really are a joy to play. 

IMG_5668.jpeg

IMG_5669.jpeg

IMG_5710.jpeg

It was the joy to play that got me , and so I bought some more short scales. And then began to realize that that’s what I was now mostly playing. So I have some vintage classic basses that are not getting much playing time. I just can’t see the point in selling them though because I certainly appreciate what they are. 

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, msb said:

It was the joy to play that got me , and so I bought some more short scales. And then began to realize that that’s what I was now mostly playing. So I have some vintage classic basses that are not getting much playing time. I just can’t see the point in selling them though because I certainly appreciate what they are. 

A problem which I can fully relate to.  I should really move some 34" scale basses on. Am I ever going to play X (too heavy) or Y (too sentimentally valuable) at a gig but.... 

• Like 2

I just turned my main, an 28.6" Ibanez Mikro Bass with an EMG Geezer Butler P pickup installed, from F# standard tuning, as I otherwise has it tuned to (that is 2 half steps above regular 4 string bass E standard tuning), to B standard tuning, uninstalling the low F# string and moving the others up a nudge, and then adding a thinner high D string.

Let's see how this works out...

Definitely better articulation and definition (which was a bit lacking on the low F# string, due to the increased stiffness of the strings as you move up the fretboard that comes with the shorter scale), and great for chord work, as well as that extra upper range sounds beautiful for melodic stuff, which I do like a lot, but not sure about how I feel about loosing those additional low notes.

For how I use my bass, as a solo and mainly bass and drums duo sort of thing, it does kind of makes sense though.

But if I end up liking it this way I will most likely restring it with a set of strings suited for A standard tuning, so called "tenor bass" tuning (that among others Stanley Clarke is famous for utilizing a lot), a full step down from the current B standard tuning (I just didn't have reasonable fresh strings of the correct gauge to tune it to A standard tuning).

Eventual I might get an EHX Bass9, which is capable of pitching down you signal with an impressive low latency and great tracking while sounding remarkably authentic to a real bass, for if I need to go lower.

Now I know the obvious reply as a question to that would be to why not just use the 5 string Mikro Bass, which I do own, but first of all that would require a pickup upgrade to get it to sound like I want to, plus I really like both the feel and idea of the just 4 strings.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, vates said:

Did anyone try the new shortscale bass from Ashdown?

Here's the link.

Apparently, it's in its early stages. The info on their site is lacking. Body wood unknown, no full specs, pictures show 20 frets instead of 19 etc. 

That's got a real Reverend vibe in my eyes. I really like those, especially the pink one. 

1 hour ago, vates said:

Here's the link.

Apparently, it's in its early stages. The info on their site is lacking. Body wood unknown, no full specs, pictures show 20 frets instead of 19 etc. 

They have been selling some short scale basses on Reverb. Think they might all have been the Jazz clone though. Worth a look perhaps?

2 hours ago, vates said:

Here's the link.

Looks great, and nice low price too.

That said I am probably more likely to get a the Mustang-esque Harley Benton, at about same price tag, or even more likely spend a bit more and get the new Squier Paranormal Rascal Bass, as my next bass, which spec wise is a bit more up my alley, and honestly likely slightly better quality too.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

On 14/07/2023 at 18:15, Owno said:

New bass day! Hagström hIIbn from 1975. A thing of beauty and it plays great! Surprisingly resonant and light considering it is made of birch as well. Chords sound beautiful with both pickups engaged and it sounds absolutely massive cranked up. 

IMG_8425.jpeg

Lovely bass , but the window behind it has really got me intrigued 😂

• Like 1