Why become a member? ×

23 hours ago, BCH said:

I gig the Torzal yesterday 2.5hr gig. 

The sound eng was happy with the powerful tone (no twisted notes..ha)

I sing so have to rely on knowing position...forgot it was different...any errors would have been made with any bass

As mentioned before going from 30" to this 34" scale..felt identical

End of gig no wrist ace...and surprisingly no splits in plucking fingers. Thingking about this afterwards...I think the way it makes you flatten your hand, makes you stroke or pluck softly

The only issue - the action was to low !

Sounds like you have got an amazing bass there. I hope other, perhaps more affordable, manufacturers adopt the design, so we can all benefit. Anything that takes the strain out of playing has got to be a good thing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In case anyone is after one, I’ve put my SBMM short scale Stingray in Olympic White up for sale here. A very fun and quality bass for sure, I’d just sooner look for lighter weight long scale options than move over to short scale. 

On 16/06/2023 at 15:55, BCH said:

34" scale feel like short scale!!!

I only play ss bases, 26.5"...30" 30.5" 

But I tried this and because of the small body and where it sits, it feels like a ss...but its 34"

https://www.torzalguitars.com/natural-twist

Its bonkers...but cured my GAS! for now...highest quality construction, design & body fit ...sounds fab

35 degree twist (25* neck & 10* body)

Picy1.jpg.865982aac3f30becf945c684047b1c30.jpg

After 10 min playing & not looking down ...you cant see the top of the neck...I feel ready to do a gig tomorrow...what could go wrong ...ha  

2019-Torzal-Guitars-Neck-Through-4-String-1.jpg.39fa02d146737bc86844f7435df9dcfa.jpg2019-Torzal-Guitars-Neck-Through-4-String-3.jpg.e0896c3aee2ee35aed820a67b9176f29.jpg2019-Torzal-Guitars-Neck-Through-4-String-2.jpg.d72e11581c949546dc649c98fcba9c95.jpg

This is the spec...which shows the twist...made in 2018 # 96

Completed_Orders_-_Copy_of_Copy_of_Richard_May_pdf.thumb.gif.34d843c49f72f36cca746b60dcf46610.gif

8 minutes ago, BCH said:

This is the spec...which shows the twist...

One of the main issues I have after 55 years of gigging is the discomfort caused by the stretch and contact with the bottom edge of the board whenever I reach across to stop the E and A strings on the lower frets. This Torzal makes a lot of sense for me but is so eye-wateringly expensive that I'm kinda wishing its twisted neck had remained below my horizon - especially as I see that custom scale lengths are available at extra cost.

Stop leading me astray Bernard! 😉

• Haha 2

Only posting this once. . . I have a ‘Gator GC-ELEC-XL extra long deluxe guitar case’ for sale, which I bought for a short scale stingray (a perfect fit) I no longer have. I’m gonna leave SS for now so need to move this on. 

I would imagine this would fit most short scale basses, please check yours will fit if interested. Not got measurements to hand but can be easily found online if needed. I will be putting it on eBay soon if not sold here 

I was just idly looking at Mustangs thinking about a backup for my Thunderstangbacker. One thing that puts me off is how the reissues have more body behind the bridge. Looks fine itself but it’ll annoy me that it’s different. But did you know the Fender Japan ‘Hybrid’ Mustang has the same dimensions as the original. Looks like they only come with P/J setup but that sounds great IME. 

Just in case anyone’s interested. Here’s a pic of one they do in natural. 

IMG_6205.jpeg

• Like 12

Obeche should make it very light. Quite surprised it’s not less than the quoted weight. I have a full size ‘51 P style with an Obeche body and it weighs about the same as my Nordstrand Acinonyx. That’s with a high mass bridge, massive vintage machine heads and the addition of a D’Addario mudbucker in the neck position.

I’m thinking neck dive may be an issue on the Trent given the length of the top horn in relation to the neck. Also it looks as though it has a pretty slabby body, which might not be that comfortable.

Edited by Obrienp
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, Obrienp said:

I’m thinking neck dive may be an issue on the Trent given the length of the top horn in relation to the neck. Also it looks as though it has a pretty slabby body, which might not be that comfortable.

Leo got it right and anything that tries to look different tends to have ergonomic issues - except this of course 😊

IMG_5696.JPG

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Kyndainverse said:

It sounded good when I saw Wet Leg last year. Would love to try one.

I saw him using a Trent with them, on the telly. Prior to the Trent, he was using JMJ Mustang.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Obrienp said:

Also it looks as though it has a pretty slabby body, which might not be that comfortable.

Having previously used a Mustang (see above), it’s probably not a big issue for him. I’ve discovered that I prefer a slabby body over a very contoured one. I much prefer my slab bodied JMJ over my HB Mustang-alike and shirty ‘Ray. Obviously, others prefer it the other way around.

• Like 2

New bass day! Hagström hIIbn from 1975. A thing of beauty and it plays great! Surprisingly resonant and light considering it is made of birch as well. Chords sound beautiful with both pickups engaged and it sounds absolutely massive cranked up. 

IMG_8425.jpeg

Edited by Owno
  • Like 16

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/12/2022 at 15:10, ped said:

Just in case you weren’t following the build thread, here’s my Thunderstangbacker

0D8CAB7C-6ACA-49F9-8704-034E7B21D731.jpeg

Lovely bass!

I've been toying with this idea of putting a TB pickup into a Fender shortie.

Got a leftover humbucker from Gibson LPDC Tribute bass.

Fully repackaged into a nickel cover, nickel baseplate and with a nickel ring.

Just don't want to ruin a Mustang bass: the model I like (JMJ) is good as-is.

Perhaps, I could find an old and previously abused MusicMaster.

Not sure if a TB pickup (plus a ring) would fit the smaller pickguard footprint.

Something to think about.