Why become a member? ×

Your favourite bass YouTubers ..

Gonzo192

I also very much like Juliaplaysgroove's channel - she's developed into a very tasteful player with consummate groove - her Dua Lipa stuff is great and very inventive.

She did a video about 5 yrs ago (thus aged 14) of GCS Hair (Larry Graham) - it actually inspired me to learn it for the first time in 45 yrs or so - seems to be a very accurate version as well unlike other on line and bass educator versions. I've also been watching various people doing Release Yourself from GCS's first album - the bass part has double thumbing...... I suppose I'll have to learn to do it to play that (one of my favourite ever Larry Graham bass parts containing just about every fill other bass players have borrowed including me (a good example is the bass breaks in Put Your Money Where Your Mouth Is - Rose Royce) - the double thumbing is a work in progress for me lol!!! But progress is being made....

Bass the world is good as is the Bass Whisperer and also, in reasonable doses, Scott's Bass Lessons - I watched the video covering Tony Levin's work on So the other night, and Scott seems to have a doppelgänger with a US accent - he also played Stingrays on the video which must be a first for SBL!!!! 😂😂

Edited by drTStingray

I'm in need of these YT channels - it's hard not to come across Scott Devine 
but I've enjoyed the clarity and emphasis on teaching (i.e. not showing off their own skills) of Yonit Spiegelman (she teaches on-line on a platform called LessonFace) : e.g.

Edited by lemonstar

On 06/12/2020 at 21:46, Dood said:

For some really good live-studio recordings I've been really enjoying guitarist Martm Miller's page: https://www.youtube.com/c/MartinMillerGuitar

He's produced some superb footage with exceptional audio playing everything from 80's mash-ups to playing through Dark Side Of The Moon live - and much more. Full band and guests.

One Million posts!!? 😛

• 1 month later...

There was some European guy on the Tube many years ago sat in a studio with a rack of vintage P's...beer belly and wearing a cardy.....My goodness could he groove on a 60's P with old flats.  I'd  never heard anything like it before or since.....cant find the darn vid now...maybe he pulled it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/11/2020 at 23:11, Reggaebass said:

I don’t think I’ve seen him before, his channel looks good, there’s some good workout exercises on there too 👍

This is how to do it...no razzamatazz like some others I could mention just good solid instruction......guys a gem, I've learned a lot recently from his site.

• Like 1

On 06/12/2020 at 21:46, Dood said:

For some really good live-studio recordings I've been really enjoying guitarist Martm Miller's page: https://www.youtube.com/c/MartinMillerGuitar

He's produced some superb footage with exceptional audio playing everything from 80's mash-ups to playing through Dark Side Of The Moon live - and much more. Full band and guests.

Yup these videos are top class, plus the band has an incredible bass player in Benni Jud. 

The whole band are incredible and also have amazing guests. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/02/2021 at 11:59, Crawford13 said:

Yup these videos are top class, plus the band has an incredible bass player in Benni Jud. 

The whole band are incredible and also have amazing guests. 

I don't know the guy's name, but the singer who was on their Queen medley video was phenomenal - if you closed your eyes, you'd swear it was actually Freddie. 

Benni Jud is fantastic too - he's also a really good singer. And I love his Marleaux Votan bass. 

• Like 1

On 07/06/2020 at 08:19, Barking Spiders said:

For me there's no doubt about it that Mark Smith's Talking Bass site is the one to go to. https://www.talkingbass.net/

Unlike some (ahem Davie 504) he's not about showing what he can do although he's a master of the instrument. He cuts to the chase and offers very clear explanations of how to learn certain techniques. His lessons on slap are excellent. 

^^ This! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/06/2020 at 13:57, Gonzo192 said:

Hello people!

I’m keen to follow more bass stuff on YouTube. Who do you recommend? 

I’m big into ‘all about the bass’ on Andertons, Scott’s Devine of Scott’s Bass Lessons is interesting to watch too, not just on the Bass Lessons front but with the interviews he does and the brand history sort of stuff - I love all that kinda thing. Adam Aarts does pretty cool gear demos, particularly of pedals to give you an idea of how it sounds on bass, which is what pushed me to buy my Walrus Audio Slö Reverb (which is nuts by the way - might do a review of that soon)  

I’d quite like to find some more interview sort of stuff cause that’s always cool to watch or stuff that engages the audience somehow, like jam tracks, posting in photos whatever! 

If anyone’s got any recommendations - put them on me! 

Cheers 😁

I also love all about the bass from anderton's. But I watch my own channel mostly. Seeing as how it's really just a place for me to keep track of the random misc things I come up with on the fly to expand on later, or to check my tone/new gear. Yes, I post videos for me, not you :) well...most of the time.

• 2 weeks later...

I think Bassbuzz / Josh Fossgreen is a good channel because he explains things well. Unlike many others he explains ideas with visuals.

Mark from Talkingbass and Scott's channel are only given half marks because of that as it makes it very difficult to see what notes are actually being played. That and other reasons is why I don't subscribe to either anymore. It would help if Mark didn't stand so far away as if he wants us to paint a landscape portrait of him - get closer man! We want to see the fretboard so we can see what's being played. SBL is too clickbaity and he waffles and waffles and waffles and waffles and waffles, and it's like an hour into the video before there's any useful content.

Ryan Madora and Greg's bass shed are good too.

Edited by TheLowDown

• 3 weeks later...