Why become a member? ×

Your favourite bass YouTubers ..

Gonzo192

I want to see a complete reset of YouTube musicians.

I’m utterly sick of fretboard gymnastics and tricks. In MY opinion we need to go back to basics, and encourage young players to learn simple grooves, a la: Tina Weymouth, Robbie Shakespeare etc….. real bass grooves, that make people smile and want to dance. Surely the whole point? It was when I started in the early 80s.

There are too many “look what I can do” musicians on social media. It never was about what you can do mate….. it’s about the song, the whole song and nothing but the song.

Sorry for the rant.

Edited by Rayman
  • Like 8

• 2 months later...
On 03/05/2022 at 09:48, louisthebass said:

Pdbass is a great channel I started to subscribe to last year - have tried to insert a link, but the site isn't allowing me to do it.

Brilliant channel.  Very informative and quite inspirational.  I couldn't imagine being a professional musician dealing with a MS diagnosis

On 14/09/2022 at 11:36, Rayman said:

I’m utterly sick of fretboard gymnastics and tricks. In MY opinion we need to go back to basics, and encourage young players to learn simple grooves, a la: Tina Weymouth, Robbie Shakespeare etc….. real bass grooves, that make people smile and want to dance. Surely the whole point? It was when I started in the early 80s.

There are too many “look what I can do” musicians on social media. It never was about what you can do mate….. it’s about the song, the whole song and nothing but the song.

Sorry for the rant.

I just came on here to recommend our very own @Bart Funk Bass. He posts some great bass lines - often quite repetitive patterns that are easy to get your head and fingers around. All very clearly presented, well worth a visit.

• Like 4

On 14/09/2022 at 11:36, Rayman said:

Sorry for the rant.

I don't mean to be mean, but don't be such a boomer 😁 

When I go to youtube, I WANT to see the odd, weird, overplayed crap I can't see anywhere else. I don't need to see the 30 year old grooves and 1-4-5-1 for the 2000th time.

It's not like you can't find the simple grooves, or the oldschool teachers.

I'll tell you a big, big secret about youtube not a lot of people know: you don't HAVE TO watch the things that don't bring you joy! You can pick other videos, because there's a LOT of them, and you don't have to rant then! :) 

There was no youtube when I actively played bass ~20 years ago, yet we were absolutely bored with the standard, simple grooves "anyone can do" (so we thought, but hey, again, this is being young) and were hunting for the odd ones, the "look what he can do" guys indeed. Young people will look for what is interesting to them, and that's fine, that's the way of life. And when they grow up and calm down, they will learn to appreciate the Carol Kaye grooves, because who doesn't. :) 

• Like 2

No-one specific these days. Usually i'm looking at gear reviews and its more about the bass than the playing.

Historically tho my favs have been (in no specific order other than how i remebered them)

MarloweDK

Bass Whisperer

Michael Manring

Stuart Clayton

Tyler Spicer

Ivanbassist

Charles Berthoud

Frederico Malaman

1 hour ago, whave said:

When I go to youtube, I WANT to see the odd, weird, overplayed crap I can't see anywhere else. I don't need to see the 30 year old grooves and 1-4-5-1 for the 2000th time.

I'll tell you a big, big secret about youtube not a lot of people know: you don't HAVE TO watch the things that don't bring you joy! You can pick other videos, because there's a LOT of them, and you don't have to rant then! :) 

There was no youtube when I actively played bass ~20 years ago, yet we were absolutely bored with the standard, simple grooves "anyone can do" (so we thought, but hey, again, this is being young) and were hunting for the odd ones, the "look what he can do" guys indeed. Young people will look for what is interesting to them, and that's fine, that's the way of life. And when they grow up and calm down, they will learn to appreciate the Carol Kaye grooves, because who doesn't. :) 

I hear you 100%

HOWEVER…. Like many young women for example, who believe that they have to have perceived “perfect” bodies, because of the way the media portrays “attractive” …. Which we all realise is nonsense….

I believe many new young bass players believe that in order to be “desirable” as a player, they have to be able to perform, frankly useless (IMO) fretboard gymnastics, when all they really need is a few root notes to get everyone up dancing.

I DO get your point, I just think that expectation for young players is going in the wrong direction, just like MANY aspects of life.

only my opinion of course, and yep, I’m old

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rayman said:

I hear you 100%

HOWEVER…. Like many young women for example, who believe that they have to have perceived “perfect” bodies, because of the way the media portrays “attractive” …. Which we all realise is nonsense….

I believe many new young bass players believe that in order to be “desirable” as a player, they have to be able to perform, frankly useless (IMO) fretboard gymnastics, when all they really need is a few root notes to get everyone up dancing.

I DO get your point, I just think that expectation for young players is going in the wrong direction, just like MANY aspects of life.

only my opinion of course, and yep, I’m old

I'm kinda with you on this but would have to add that when i was learning i was trying to copy my fav players which at that time were Jack Bruce, Neil Murray and Glenn Hughes and of course Geddy. They were the players i was aiming to be like and after a couple of yrs learning the basics from lessons and music sheets back in mid 70's i decided it was time to look at Jazz / Prog Rock players and that took me into a whole new world listening to Richard Sinclair, Tony Levin, Mo Foster John Wetton and a few others and of course Neil Murray again who can play anything. That led me into listening to players that were way out of my league like Jeff Berlin, Percy Jones, Jaco P. 

To this day i still listen to guys i cant copy but i can pick up little bits and bobs that i can use in my day to day job.

With the amount of social media and interweb the younger generation have a fast entry into how to play fancy bass licks but i worry they might be missing the basics and what's needed in typical pub band.

I know bands that have auditioned some young guys and all they wanted to do was slap and pop and couldn't hold a basic rhythm with the drummer and they obviously were over-looked for the simpler player that could hold a song together.

Most bands aren't looking for a bass soloist.

Just my own views of course.

Dave

• Like 2

On 14/09/2022 at 06:36, Rayman said:

Sorry for the rant.

So, heres the conundrum that Im having with my channel:

I originally wanted to do as you say, and started off that way but I found I get more hits on my videos with playing that has movement. I even removed my first few videos. However, I dont break out all the stops and choose to do simple lines but adding some movement - I feel this gets the best of both worlds: staying in the pocket but with some movement without going crazy with fretboard gymnastics. Plus I try to hit all the strings so the viewer/listener can hear each strings response. I also demo fingers/slap/and pick in every review I do.  I also purposely try to play longer note values - not necessarily legato but I stay away from staccato 16ths as much as possible: I feel a person can hear more definition of a bass with 8ths and bigger

My channel also goes out of its way to be (1) silly for entertainment purposes and (2) just to be different than most channels: I employ a lot of graphics and video editing. The mission statement of my channel is to be both entertaining and informative although the information I provide is really a basic gyst of an instrument without going into the menutia of a bass - this is for attention-deficit purposes for people like myself....and, by virtue, I know my channel isnt for everybody and some folks may even despise what I do. Like music itself: its hard to please everybody

I guess what Im trying to say is that - now that Im doing a channel - there is a lot of thought and feedback along the way....and folks adjust their channels accordingly to what gets more hits

Edited by Rib13Bass
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
7 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Don’t think I’ve posted this but if you use tab this guy has so many, the ones I’ve played seem pretty spot on, all different genres 

I like the format of his/her/it's videos. Full screen scrolling tab makes more than a single line of tab where you have to guess the start of the next bar because its off the screen.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

I like the format of his/her/it's videos. Full screen scrolling tab makes more than a single line of tab where you have to guess the start of the next bar because its off the screen.

There’s so many of them too, lots I haven’t heard of but I just clicked on a few random ones for fun 

On 16/11/2022 at 12:44, oakforest5961 said:

Another vote for BassBuzz / Josh Fossgreen. He explains things well and seems to have a lot of bass wisdom. He has a certain style, which will not be for everyone, but the content is excellent regardless.

He has just released this video about GAS and how to beat it.

That was brilliant!

"GAS Guy" 🤣

• Like 1

On 22/11/2022 at 09:35, whave said:

I have to say as a beginner I want to find the simple stuff so that I can find tunes I can play easily. It’s disheartening when so many bass videos start off with the person showing off with a fairly tuneless (to me anyway) slap show off session. 

• Like 2

On 16/11/2022 at 12:44, oakforest5961 said:

Another vote for BassBuzz / Josh Fossgreen. He explains things well and seems to have a lot of bass wisdom. He has a certain style, which will not be for everyone, but the content is excellent regardless.

He has just released this video about GAS and how to beat it.

Totally agree, for a person like me just starting out he seems like a natural teacher. Easy to listen to, simple and engaging. Can’t get enough of the bass buzz videos.  

• Like 1

After watching a few SBL videos I’ve become really frustrated with them and stopped subscribing. Might just be his vibe I don’t like but I’ve looked elsewheee now. 

Biggest issue is that I signed up my email to find out more about his online lessons and OH MY WORD I’ve had so much spam from them trying to get me to sign up to all sorts of courses with “last chance to sign up mega discount offer!!” emails. Really put me off, felt like I was getting bombarded by 1990’s DFS sofa adverts. 😂

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Minininjarob said:

Totally agree, for a person like me just starting out he seems like a natural teacher. Easy to listen to, simple and engaging. Can’t get enough of the bass buzz videos.  

You may have already looked but I’d recommend Mark at Talkingbass, he covers lots of theory and tips from beginner to advanced and he doesn’t waffle on like some others 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Minininjarob said:

I have to say as a beginner I want to find the simple stuff so that I can find tunes I can play easily. It’s disheartening when so many bass videos start off with the person showing off with a fairly tuneless (to me anyway) slap show off session. 

I've been playing 40+ yrs and that still annoys me when a simple "how to" vid starts with someone trying to show off. I guess they are trying to show that they are competent at what they do but for me a slap fest isn't a sign of bass competence.

I prefer the guys that just go straight into showing you how to play the song.

There are some great clips out there tho and its trying to find the people that work for you.

Dave

17 minutes ago, Minininjarob said:

After watching a few SBL videos I’ve become really frustrated with them and stopped subscribing. Might just be his vibe I don’t like but I’ve looked elsewheee now. 

Biggest issue is that I signed up my email to find out more about his online lessons and OH MY WORD I’ve had so much spam from them trying to get me to sign up to all sorts of courses with “last chance to sign up mega discount offer!!” emails. Really put me off, felt like I was getting bombarded by 1990’s DFS sofa adverts. 😂

Yep i fell into that trap too. Cant remember what i was looking for but i was swamped with SBL junk mail and simply "unsubscribed" to stop it all.

I found the continued bombardment intimidating, arrogant and extremely annoying. Put me right off.

Dave

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Yep i fell into that trap too. Cant remember what i was looking for but i was swamped with SBL junk mail and simply "unsubscribed" to stop it all.

I found the continued bombardment intimidating, arrogant and extremely annoying. Put me right off.

Dave

I’m the same, obviously a very talented guy but I won’t even click on one video now , my YouTube used to get flooded with his videos 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

I’m the same, obviously a very talented guy but I won’t even click on one video now , my YouTube used to get flooded with his videos 

Its a shame because he has some good advice but its just overkill when you open something.

Dave

• Like 1