Why become a member? ×

Do you enjoy listening to Jaco?

GreeneKing

A simple question. Musically he really does it for me, a whole range of his stuff that I find subtle, musically tight, and appropriate. It grabs my soul. Then again I love jazz.

I get a feeling that even among bassists I'm in the minority. Yes I know some of you think he's clever, moved the goalposts etc but that's not the question.

Musically does his stuff 'move you'?

Satisfy my curiosity ;)

Yay or Nay?

Peter

Edited by GreeneKing

Not really. He certainly raised the bar technically and musically, and inspired a whole host of new bassists that have raised the bar even further, in the same way that Jimi Hendrix inspired a number of massively talented and influential guitarists around today. But I just don't dig what he played, how he played it, his sound, his style, or his tone. Not saying I have a [i]strong[/i] dislike, but I'm slightly more to the 'dislike' side of things than being neutral or impartial. This is just my opinion.

Mark

I think everything he did recorded (either solo or with Joni, Pat, WR etc) was amazing......

some of the live stuff on Youtube is off the wall, even the Jazziest of Jazzers must have thought some of his improv solo's spot's went off at a tangent !

World's Greatest Bass Player ? at the time certainly, but because of his tragicly short life others have surpassed him in terms of their Bass Legacy.

ATB

Mark

Edited by Marcus

Curate's egg... good in places. Well, more than good. Genius in places. I will never ever tire of things like Havona, A Remark, Teen Town, The Chicken.
But some of his work I do find almost unlistenable. Having said that, I still feel that he deserves his hype.
Just imagine if he'd got together with Hendrix... ;)

[size=1]I [i]really[/i] hope this thread doesn't descend into yet another "jazz is sh1t" thing.[/size]

I went through a massive Jaco phase and still love some of what he did but, when you listen to a LOT of it, it is amazing how much repetition you hear - same with Stanley Clarke. I am not referring to stylistic things, the little idiosyncratic details that define every player to some extent, I am talking about stock licks that are 'party pieces', things that are pulled out of the hate time and again for non-musical reasons.

Some Jaco is sublime; Joni Mitchell's 'Shadows and Light', Heavy Weather, the Word of Mouth stuff, Bright Size Life etc but some of it is clumsy beyond belief and very uncool.

Personally, I think that Jaco (I feel the same about Paul Chambers) was at his best when working with strong musical personalities who kept him in check and gave him great material on which to work; Zawinul & Shorter, Mitchell, Gil Goldstein, Bob Mintzer, Pat Metheny etc. When the people around him deferred to Jaco's muse (Birelli Lagrene, Jon Davis, Brian Melvin etc), the product was second and even third rate.

But, in short, some of what he did was absolutely marvelous.

I love a lot of the earlier stuff, and even enjoy some of the later rough gig recordings, but generally I avoid it these days. Just feels like a loss of talent and imagination I don't want to be reminded of.

Having said that I think its hard to imagine now what a huge impact he had twenty odd years ago - none of the Youtube clips in the world are going to help younger people understand just how different and impressive he was in his own time.

Definitely - but my fave stuff f late is all his Joni Mitchell stuff - the live double album Shadows and Light is outstanding - he's just rules the whole gig from the bass... it's astonishing playing, even when it's a 'simple' bass line, every note is perfectly played. But Hejira is by far my favourite Jaco/Joni album - but I'm still in awe of much of his playing on his solo debut - he was 24 when he did most of that - and there was quite iterally NOTHING like it before he recorded it. He really turned the whole role of the bass - and its various possibilities within music - on its head.

[b]I wrote an article - with quotes from interviews I did with Mike Brecker, John Scofield and Pat Metheny - which summarises his impact on jazz and with wider musical world you can ead it here:

[url="http://www.munkio.com/words/jaco_feature.html"]http://www.munkio.com/words/jaco_feature.html[/url]
[/b]
Cheers

Mike

I have listened to almost EVERYTHING Jaco has done and the stuff that stands head and shoulders above everything else is the Joni Mitchell era. I have got my mitts on a couple of recordings of those tours and its different every night.
Which is hard first time you hear them because "shadows and light" is burned into most fans brains.

I agree with Bilbo when there is no strong leader for Jaco to push against it didnt bode well.
I've also heard that Jaco auditioned for the dream of the blue turtles band and dominated the material .
Kirkland , marsalis, hakim ,Jaco and Sting !!!!
Would've like to have heard those tapes !! ;)

[quote name='urb' post='407346' date='Feb 12 2009, 09:52 AM']Definitely - but my fave stuff f late is all his Joni Mitchell stuff - the live double album Shadows and Light is outstanding - he's just rules the whole gig from the bass... it's astonishing playing, even when it's a 'simple' bass line, every note is perfectly played. But Hejira is by far my favourite Jaco/Joni album - but I'm still in awe of much of his playing on his solo debut - he was 24 when he did most of that - and there was quite iterally NOTHING like it before he recorded it. He really turned the whole role of the bass - and its various possibilities within music - on its head.

[b]I wrote an article - with quotes from interviews I did with Mike Brecker, John Scofield and Pat Metheny - which summarises his impact on jazz and with wider musical world you can ead it here:

[url="http://www.munkio.com/words/jaco_feature.html"]http://www.munkio.com/words/jaco_feature.html[/url]
[/b]
Cheers

Mike[/quote]
Thats a great site Mike, congrats mate well done !

Like all influential musicians Jaco has moments of complete genius and others when he's unlistenable and for everyone they're going to be different.

His first solo album should be essential listening for every bassist even if its just so you can say I heard it once and thought it was pants...

YES! Of course its a mixed bag- but then not everyone likes Picasso!

I think the Standards Zone recording he made with Brian Melvin is woefully under listened to- there are some beautiful lines on that and some of his soloing is awesome. What's more, since he plays a load of standards you can get a feel for what he adds to tracks you're already familiar with. 'The days of wine and roses' and 'If you could see me now' are particularly good for checking out his feel and inventive comping. It came at an interesting time in his life too.

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='407337' date='Feb 12 2009, 10:45 AM']I went through a massive Jaco phase and still love some of what he did but, when you listen to a LOT of it, it is amazing how much repetition you hear - same with Stanley Clarke. I am not referring to stylistic things, the little idiosyncratic details that define every player to some extent, I am talking about stock licks that are 'party pieces', things that are pulled out of the hate time and again for non-musical reasons.

Some Jaco is sublime; Joni Mitchell's 'Shadows and Light', Heavy Weather, the Word of Mouth stuff, Bright Size Life etc but some of it is clumsy beyond belief and very uncool.

Personally, I think that Jaco (I feel the same about Paul Chambers) was at his best when working with strong musical personalities who kept him in check and gave him great material on which to work; Zawinul & Shorter, Mitchell, Gil Goldstein, Bob Mintzer, Pat Metheny etc. When the people around him deferred to Jaco's muse (Birelli Lagrene, Jon Davis, Brian Melvin etc), the product was second and even third rate.

But, in short, some of what he did was absolutely marvelous.[/quote]

+1 (still think his best work ever was on "Refuge of the Road" with Joni Mitchell)