Why become a member? ×

Do you enjoy listening to Jaco?

GreeneKing

I find him quite fascinating to be honest.There's a few yids on youtube where he's hardly if at all out of his teens and his playing is amazing for someone so young.I just read the book mentioned earlier (thanks Prosebass) and made an effort to find out more about his music.I'm a big fan of Joni too,Blue is in my top ten of all time.His playing in the Shadows and Light concert is fantastic.
To me it's a very sad story and i cant help but wonder what if...........Like him or not it seems to me that he's done more to put the Bass guitar on the map than anyone else in it's short history.IMO of course.
A Yay from me.

I really, really like the stuff he did with Joni Mitchell. There was an amazing synergy to their creative partnership and the bass and vocals combination is hard to beat in terms of musical purity. The rest of his stuff I can take or leave however.

Jaco's always been my all time favourite bassist - I remember hearing his first album & felt like giving up after about a minute of "Donna Lee".

Without a shadow of a doubt his finest work was with Joni Mitchell - the bass playing on the live version of "In France They Kiss on Main Street" is totally mind blowing as he's laying down a groove & complementing Joni's lyrics. His playing on the "Mingus" album is also top quality.

It's a shame that he went downhill the way he did, & certainly didn't deserve to go out this world so early in life. The fact that bass players either like his playing or dislike his playing proves that he was far from mediocre while he was around.

Cheers,
iamthewalrus

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='407337' date='Feb 12 2009, 09:45 AM']when you listen to a LOT of it, it is amazing how much repetition you hear - same with Stanley Clarke. I am not referring to stylistic things, the little idiosyncratic details that define every player to some extent, I am talking about stock licks that are 'party pieces', things that are pulled out of the hate time and again for non-musical reasons.[/quote]

+1. Some Jaco I really like, but most of it doesn't touch me, and I do find him extremely repetitive. I really like some of his less championed tracks, such as Okonkole Y Trompa, and have less time for some of his more famous stuff. I was also slightly underwhelmed by his Shadows and Light contribution, having been told by all and sundry that it was as good as it gets. Great player and musician though, obviously.

Re Stan, I love his early stuff (up to and including School Days) much more than anything Jaco ever did; his Brown Album is one of my favourites of all time. But I do feel that after that he lost the plot a bit, as much I love his playing. Having said that his gig the other year was [i]stellar[/i].

[quote name='iamthewalrus' post='408010' date='Feb 12 2009, 08:48 PM']I remember hearing his first album & felt like giving up after about a minute of "Donna Lee".[/quote]
Same here.... I gave up listening and started playing bass how I wanted it to be played! ;)
Just doesn't move me but I can appreciate the talent involved to produce such drivel.

IMO of course. :P

Wish i could get a decent transcription of his playing on i can dig it baby by little beaver its the one on the portrait of Jaco album. I dont think we would have had Watt roy or Ian dury and the blockheads if it had not been for musical indulgences/masturbation like Jaco pastorius and other more off the wall musicians.

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='408114' date='Feb 12 2009, 10:53 PM']I think its sh*t. Don't mind "Come on, come over", but the rest is rubbish.

I don't like solo bass though and I think Joni Mitchell is a f***ing whore.[/quote]

You'll enjoy this if you haven't seen it before:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKCwH3amLaU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKCwH3amLaU[/url]

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='407312' date='Feb 12 2009, 09:20 AM']A simple question. Musically he really does it for me, a whole range of his stuff that I find subtle, musically tight, and appropriate. It grabs my soul. Then again I love jazz.

I get a feeling that even among bassists I'm in the minority. Yes I know some of you think he's clever, moved the goalposts etc but that's not the question.

Musically does his stuff 'move you'?

Satisfy my curiosity ;)

Yay or Nay?

Peter[/quote]
Never, unless he's playing on something that I may be listening to, such as Joni Mitchel or Weather Report.

In fact, I would never sit and listen to a Jaco CD out of choice and that's not because I wouldn't or don't like his music, it's just that I never listen to albums by bass players..

What I've heard of his playing and seen of his on YouTube has been really incredible, but it's not my music of choice unfortunately.