Why become a member? ×

Reliced Basses

JakeBrownBass

[quote name='budget bassist' post='388833' date='Jan 22 2009, 05:58 PM']That first one looks ridiculous, and the wood on the neck looks brand new... Wasn't he asking a ridiculous price too? I mean it's not even playable...[/quote]

Ah but by the same token Half a Damian Hirst cow isn't edible, and can't even be milked, but if you think like that you probably missed the point of the thing.

The aim of a lot of art is to start a debate. And if you enter a discussion about wether or not a thing is art, then you have probably and inadvertantly validated it as art.

Ironic? Not if that's the intention.

Is it just me that reads 'reliced' as 'relissed'?

Most Cs with a vowel after them are pronounced with an S sound. I/we need to start a campaign to have the spelling of this adverb changed to accomodate an exta K after the C - 'relicked'. Ah, I can read it properly now.

yes I realise accomodate has a vowel after it but it also is a pair of Cs and you get nothing for a pair (not in this game)

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='390158' date='Jan 24 2009, 01:45 AM']The punk bass is playable, the first 9 frets are fine, and who really needs more than that? Te 'point' is explained on his site:[/quote]

I'm not sure. The photos don't show it clearly enough, but it looks like there's a cable tie between the nut and 1st fret, which would make the 1st fret pretty tough going.

S.P.

Maybe it's the latest innovation in zero-fret technology? ;)

I love the look of reliced basses, and own a couple myself, but that punk bass is a bit much IMO! If I were doing a Sid Vicious impersonation, I'd jump right on it though (literally)

[quote name='Delberthot' post='390268' date='Jan 24 2009, 10:54 AM']Is it just me that reads 'reliced' as 'relissed'?

Most Cs with a vowel after them are pronounced with an S sound. I/we need to start a campaign to have the spelling of this adverb changed to accomodate an exta K after the C - 'relicked'. Ah, I can read it properly now.

yes I realise accomodate has a vowel after it but it also is a pair of Cs and you get nothing for a pair (not in this game)[/quote]

I'd rather we just stop using the word "relic" as a verb. God missed the K off to show us that it wasn't a word that would naturally conjugate.

[quote name='Buzz' post='389534' date='Jan 23 2009, 01:23 PM']The things people do in the name of "art".

Twat.[/quote]
Oh dear. That was a bit harsh, wasn't it?

The world needs a few people around doing weird, pointless stuff. It would be a bit boring otherwise.

None of these instruments appeal to me in the slightest, by the way.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='390421' date='Jan 24 2009, 03:02 PM']Oh dear. That was a bit harsh, wasn't it?

The world needs a few people around doing weird, pointless stuff. It would be a bit boring otherwise.

None of these instruments appeal to me in the slightest, by the way.[/quote]

No, I don't think it's too harsh, he's taken a perfectly good bass, ironically a tool for making art in a muscial fashion, and trashed it.

If it wasn't for the metal strip, the cable tie and the missing frets/fretboard sections all on the neck, and it was properly playable, it would be a great piece of art, as yes, it would show off being a "punk" bass so to speak and could actually be used. Form while emphasising it's functional role.

You know what, I'm thinking of getting a nice artist's paint brush, snapping it in two, then using electrical or duct tape to put it back together so it's a bit wobbly, I might even attack the bristles with a pair of blunt scissors.
I'll claim it's representive of the the attitudes that artists' have before they make it big and get lots of money from their works, their lack of money and resolve to keep trying and producing art, even if their lives are breaking down and they're having to stuggle and sacrifice for their art.

Then I'll sell it and be rich! Or at least, not as poor.

Hell, I could do an entire gallery piece on different tools of the trade, obviously lot's of art based ones, I could do a harp with some of the thicker wires replaced by electrical wire and have industrial staples holding bits together with healthy dollops of hard as nails for example, perhaps I could even do laptops held together with 'laccy bands and parcel tape!

Edited by Buzz

[quote name='GremlinAndy' post='390254' date='Jan 24 2009, 10:42 AM']The aim of a lot of art is to start a debate. And if you enter a discussion about wether or not a thing is art, then you have probably and inadvertantly validated it as art.[/quote]

So, if someone comes up to me in a pub and says: 'Are you looking at me Jimmy?' it means he's an artist. Have I understood correctly?

And if I reply: 'You call that art, well you can f**k off', then I have proven that it is art. Have I understood correctly?

Of course, I might say: 'OK, I accept that your statement is art but, frankly I've seen better art down my toilet pan'. If this forces him into continuing the debate, does it mean that I am an artist too? Or am I just a t****r.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='390307' date='Jan 24 2009, 12:09 PM']I'd rather we just stop using the word "relic" as a verb. God missed the K off to show us that it wasn't a word that would naturally conjugate.[/quote]

How do you like 'reliqued' from the archaic form [i]relique[/i] which has etymological basis in Old French [i]relique[/i] and Latin [i]reliquia[/i]?

Or don't you like any form of reliquing?

Edited by EssentialTension

[quote name='GremlinAndy' post='391383' date='Jan 26 2009, 01:47 AM']We may not always understand, or like, some forms of art, but that doesn't define it. I don't like classical music, or punk, but are they any less music because of that? ...well no, obviously not.[/quote]

Andy, I recognise as art many things that I don't like: for example, ABBA - definitely art, definitely good art, but I don't like it and would not normally listen to it. My comments weren't about liking or not, or value or not; it was with your definition of art that I was concerned.

But, can I add that I thought the chainsawed bass was horrible. YMMV.

[quote name='GremlinAndy' post='391383' date='Jan 26 2009, 01:47 AM']Hmmm, evidently not. I'm not talking about an eleven year olds notion of what I meant by debate. I'm going to assume you're being intentionally daft to make a fairly serious point about your take on what does or doesn't make art, rather than an actual viewpoint. :huh:[/quote]

You correctly spotted my method of argument and it was, I hoped, amusing in its ridiculousness as well as intending a serious point.

By 'an eleven year old's notion of ... debate' I guess you mean contradiction (e.g. 'oh, no it's not') as opposed to reasoned debate (e.g. 'I don't agree with that because...'). My problem is: if the aim of a lot of art is to start a debate and if attempting a reasoned debate about whether or not something is art necessarily validates it as art, then we seem to be in the world of contradiction not the world of reasoned argument. 'This is art' - 'No, it's not art because ...' - 'Oh yes it is' - 'No, it really can't be art because ...' - 'Yes, it is art, you just inadvertently validated it' - 'No, I didn't, it's not art because ...' - 'Ha ha, you can't win because I've got my fingers crossed' - etc. etc. ;)

So, while I'd accept that it may sometimes be an aim of a particular person to start a particular debate with a particular 'object', that alone cannot be enough to make something art. Also, some art does not aim to start a debate. So, in my view, aiming to start a debate is neither sufficient to warrant calling something art, nor would it be necessary to warrant calling something art.

[quote name='GremlinAndy' post='391383' date='Jan 26 2009, 01:47 AM']Do I have to choose one of those two descriptions? :P[/quote]

Yes :)

Essential Tension has a valid point which you've missed answering directly.

If a piece of work* needs validation (in any form, but generally by trying to force debate) before it can be classed as "art", is it really art in the first place?

*Piece of work donates an object that presumably had something done to it, it's not assuming it's "art" or vice versa, just an abstract object.

[quote name='GremlinAndy' post='393214' date='Jan 27 2009, 09:50 PM']hah hah I think I won... ;) I wasn't sure I'd even convinced myself. Maybe I bored everyone to death. I'll take it wherever I can get it though.... :P

....and that's ART![/quote]

I've been busy. Response possibly forthcoming tomorrow. Mind you, I wouldn't want to bore everyone either. But, then again, they don't have to read it.

[quote name='Kev' post='393261' date='Jan 27 2009, 10:54 PM']if they didnt have art prices, id like them. But at the prices he charges, its just a bit silly[/quote]

Are we still talking about the Baz Extravaganza Basses here? Because I think they were very reasonably priced before the Pound tanked in relation to the Euro. Still not too bad. One day one of them will be mine.

[quote name='GremlinAndy' post='393338' date='Jan 28 2009, 01:04 AM']Guys you all seem to actually undestand art enough that I'm POSITIVE you actually support my arguments, although your bullshit macho egos won't let you back down.
Embrace your inner artist and agree with me.[/quote]

Ooooh, how to take that and respond.

Ignore it, laugh because it's obviously a silly comment meant for humour, or call you an arrogrant and pretentious arty tosspot for taking a dig at all of us who don't agree with your stance.

Choices choices.

;)