Why become a member? ×

Using the classifieds

lushuk

Once every 48 hrs i think,every 24 hours as an absolute mimimum.It is a pain in the arse and not really fair to the folks who don't get to the computer every day.
I used to run a forum where if [u]you[/u] bumped more that once a day,just for bumpings sake your thread would be removed.
It soon stopped.

[quote name='owen' post='381355' date='Jan 15 2009, 02:54 PM']If we are thinking along TB lines, how about the "if you post a piece of kit for sale there must be a price" rule. Otherwise we are Ebay, and that exists already. I know I could just ignore it.[/quote]

god call!

Sorry!

In all seriousness, I may have been a bit naughty with bumping recently - I tried to be good and leave it at least 24hrs/til it was way down the 2nd page, but I may have failed.

I'll be a good boy from now on, including deleting old bumps ;)

i dont think previous bumps should be deleted, purely because iv seen several sellers lately abusing that. One seller, who will remain unnamed, bumped his thread at least 3 times in one day that i saw, by deleting his previous bumps

I usually bump once every 2 days, but i only do this because if in dont it just dissapears.... if everyone agreed to bump once a week or so, itl be a much less crowded place to be.

Edited by kev

[quote name='kev' post='381389' date='Jan 15 2009, 03:25 PM']i dont think previous bumps should be deleted, purely because iv seen several sellers lately abusing that. One seller, who will remain unnamed, bumped his thread at least 3 times in one day that i saw, by deleting his previous bumps

I usually bump once every 2 days, but i only do this because if in dont it just dissapears.... if everyone agreed to bump once a week or so, itl be a much less crowded place to be.[/quote]

Good old bassmankev. Our local classifieds SWAT team.

[quote name='kev' post='381389' date='Jan 15 2009, 03:25 PM']i dont think previous bumps should be deleted, purely because iv seen several sellers lately abusing that. One seller, who will remain unnamed, bumped his thread at least 3 times in one day that i saw, by deleting his previous bumps

I usually bump once every 2 days, but i only do this because if in dont it just dissapears.... if everyone agreed to bump once a week or so, itl be a much less crowded place to be.[/quote]

Your add doesn't bump itself by deleting posts??

Also, i've bumped alot recently but this is only because so much is getting added that after 10 hours its been on the 2nd page!

Jake

Edited by jake_tenfloors

[quote name='jake_tenfloors' post='381538' date='Jan 15 2009, 05:36 PM']Your add doesn't bump itself by deleting posts??[/quote]
what i mean is, a seller has posted a 'bump', and then a couple of hours later, deleting his last bump and then posting a new one, so it jumps back to the top again, but appears to have been only bumped once :P

Yes, i spend too much time drooling over basses in the classifieds.... ;)

[quote name='Kev' post='381540' date='Jan 15 2009, 05:39 PM']what i mean is, a seller has posted a 'bump', and then a couple of hours later, deleting his last bump and then posting a new one, so it jumps back to the top again, but appears to have been only bumped once :P

Yes, i spend too much time drooling over basses in the classifieds.... ;)[/quote]

ahh ok, i get ya! :)

Hey all,

Yeah, it is difficult to moderate the Classified forums. It's not a job for the feint hearted! - It would be great if bumps were kept to a minimum - As the T&Cs kinda suggest. But then, it appears that quite a few people don't read them.. or forget them.,. or don't care as it's 'not like they have to pay for the use of the classifieds or anything' etc etc.

I don't think Ped and CK want to see the classifieds broken down into smaller subforums (like, one specifically for effects, one for amps etc) ... but it could help with alleviating the high turn over of posts as everyone wants their posts at the top of the page.

Whilst we're on the subject, I'm glad to see there has been less trouble on the classifieds recently. I saw quite a few people getting narky on posts at the end of last year.. This forum works really well, whilst everyone is civil and friendly. I don't think the admins want to start imposing fees and extra T&C's to keep things running smoothly.

Just a quick note about TB and their bumping policy - one reason they need to be quite tough is the sheer number of users and items for sale they have. The number of 'pure' new posts every day in classifieds moves items to page 2 & 3 very quickly. If they didn't impose stricter rules on bumping it would be a nightmare to find anything.

However on BC it usually takes a decent amount of time before something falls right off the first few pages and with an odd bump here or there it's easy to get your item noticed without going crazy on the bumpology.

I'd be in favour of some sort of loose 24 hour rule but think it's definitely Ok to respond to questions within a post as and when it appears. I do find it a bit odd when there are some listings that sit with the same price weak in, week out & appear on EBay multiple times at the same reserve price with no bidders. You'd think that the person selling might get the hint that either the item is too expensive or that it's simply not very desirable?

Personally I'd prefer it if amps/cabs & effects were seperate forums because I rarely think of these together and the simple unit price of each sector is very different - average price of an effect under £100 so much more of an impulse purchse to relieve mild GAS. Not a big deal though as, again, there aren't really that many posts every day so 'clutter' isn't a huge problem (for me anyway).

is there any real reason why the sales forums cannot be seperated into many subforums, like say the Basschat Affiliates forum is?? It would obviously greatly reduce the need to bump, i mean it could even get as detailed as a 4 string bass subforum and a 5 string bass subforum, maybe a little ott but as i say is there any reason why not?? I cant imagine it would be any more difficult to moderate, just alot more organised.