Why become a member? ×

Unpacking my pick

niceguyhomer

[quote name='Moody' post='372706' date='Jan 7 2009, 08:00 AM']Slighty OT but what KOL stuff are you doing?? We're doing a couple of KOL tracks and they sound much better when using a pick, On Call for example.

EDIT: When doing KOL, it is the law that you mimic Jareds odd facial movements...[/quote]

At the moment, we're doing Sex is on fire / Mollies Chambers maybe the Bucket and I'm trying to persuade the others to do some others.

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='372383' date='Jan 6 2009, 08:19 PM']I took up bass 4 years ago and in that time, spent a lot of time (practice) and money (lessons) undoing my ex-guitarist plucking hand technique and chronic plectrum dependency. I felt a need to disassociate myself with my six string past and wanted to play bass 'properly' - ie; fingerstyle, mainly cos some people (including me at the time) frowned on using a plectrum. Now, after 300 gigs and a grand's worth of lessons, I'll say with all the conceit in the world that I've now got a pretty good fingerstyle technique, I play like a 'proper' bassist and wouldn't give the time to anyone holding a Les Paul.

Anyway, my band play classic soul albeit with a bit of a raw edge and frankly, we're all pig sick of it. So, we took the decision to bring the set forwards in time. Now it's Kings of Leon, Killers, Stereophonics, Kaiser Chiefs et al and you know what, I'm back using a bloody pick again :)

And......I'm lovin' it. It's good to have both techniques under yer belt, horses for courses and all - that's my opinion and I just thought I'd share that with ya.[/quote]

Only just seen this thread and can totally sympathise Al.

I've always played finger style and only recently due to a change in our set list, have started playing with a Pick. Wow! What have I been missing?? I actually find it easier to keep time while singing too, so now I play half the set with fingers and the other half with a Pick.

[quote name='Tee' post='372538' date='Jan 6 2009, 10:36 PM']If you don't recognise the advantages of both, you don't know your instrument.[/quote]
+1.

I've always tried to use a pick but never been that good, last year I made a concerted efoot to actually practice with it a lot more and now I really find it a useful addition to the arsenal. Slap, OTOH, I'm still arse at!

[quote name='MythSte' post='372386' date='Jan 6 2009, 08:24 PM']Im the same in that i frown on it... I dont even know why!

Im a born and bred bassist though, My hand cramps up something horrible when i try and pick play. Such a shame as sometimes you just need [i]that[/i] tone.[/quote]

If you need the 'pick' attack but struggle using a plectrum, have you considered fingerpicks? I've started using them for my Baritone but they sound great on the bass flipped 'round so they are on the pad side of your finger instead of the nail side....

Proper pick sound but finger stylee..... :)

I use both, I think my general conclusion is fingers for tone and pick for speed. But then again, I can play quite fast with fingers and sometimes need a more mid/treble tone that you get from using a pick. Also I would say that it depends on which type of bass/pickups/neck you are playing at the time and what is needed for each arrangement.

[quote name='Galilee' post='373007' date='Jan 7 2009, 12:56 PM']Only gays use picks.

:)[/quote]

Funnily enough when I use one I retain the 'limp wrist' right hand position!!!

I can't see this thread even as a debate. You use whatever technique you're comfortable with to make the sound you want to make - the more techniques the merrier.

Hopefuly nobody will start a 'what guage of pick?' thread - if so, may I encourage everyone to trash it !!!!

Liking the sound of the new set , Alan. Hope it's perked you up a bit - you sounded a bit down about the band a few weeks back. Good thing to keep moving. I would have thought in your case - being an acomplished pick player from your guitar days - it'd be criminal not to use one. Fill your boots , my son.

I use a pick for an aggressive punk / grungy sound on my Rickenbacker with the distortion switched on and the growl of the valves being driven. It sounds great! I also play with fingers and am developing my double bass playing too. There are no rules. Play what sounds good to you.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='373020' date='Jan 7 2009, 01:10 PM']I can't see this thread even as a debate. You use whatever technique you're comfortable with to make the sound you want to make - the more techniques the merrier.[/quote]

I think that is my view on it, though I am at a bit of a disadvantage. Having migrated from guitar to bass I use a pick for most stuff but, increasingly, trying to use my fingers for the more mellow stuff. Also been practising for some of the funky stuff that seems to want finger not pick but struggling to get an accurate speed going. For example, I can play this with a pick but no way with just fingers -

Edit - still not got the hang of embedding links either!

[url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=dxaczoeNtgE&feature=related"]I shoulda loved ya[/url]

does this just take time and practise, same as everything else?

Edited by Paul S

Having always used a pick, I've been playing w. fingers the last couple of months. Someone said pick for speed, fingers for tone; never realised how true.

[quote]Hopefuly nobody will start a 'what guage of pick?' thread - if so, may I encourage everyone to trash it !!!![/quote]

BTW, my pick's a large, triangular heavy 1.4mm gauge Gibson, sprayed with nitro-cellulose for a 50's 'Kalamazoo' look then 'reliced' with wire wool to increase adhesion and add 'Vintage Mojo'.

The LH edge is pre-serrated for string scrapes, while RH edge is slightly filed back for false harmonics. It's also been split, chambered with a router then re-assembled to reduce mass without compromising its size. 0-20 notes per sec in under 0.3 of a second, guys!

Played with the (modern style) Gibson logo [i]facing[/i] the thumb for extra grip as recommended by Carol Kaye in her evergreen classic "1001 Pick-holding Methods for Modern Jazz, Blues and Rock".

I'd be very interested to see any other BC-ers modded or vintage picks, and any interesting or humourous 'pick anecdotes'.

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='373088' date='Jan 7 2009, 02:26 PM']Having always used a pick, I've been playing w. fingers the last couple of months. Someone said pick for speed, fingers for tone; never realised how true.

BTW, my pick's a large, triangular heavy 1.4mm gauge Gibson, sprayed with nitro-cellulose for a 50's 'Kalamazoo' look then 'reliced' with wire wool to increase adhesion and add 'Vintage Mojo'.

The LH edge is pre-serrated for string scrapes, while RH edge is slightly filed back for false harmonics. It's also been split, chambered with a router then re-assembled to reduce mass without compromising its size. 0-20 notes per sec in under 0.3 of a second, guys!

Played with the (modern style) Gibson logo [i]facing[/i] the thumb for extra grip as recommended by Carol Kaye in her evergreen classic "1001 Pick-holding Methods for Modern Jazz, Blues and Rock".

I'd be very interested to see any other BC-ers modded or vintage picks, and any interesting or humourous 'pick anecdotes'.[/quote]

When I decided to be God I recall blowing your local pub up. I didn;t think at the time how much harm this may cause you.
I've just had it rebuilt so for Christ's sake get out and get down there :) :huh: :huh:

[quote name='Tee' post='372538' date='Jan 6 2009, 10:36 PM']If you don't recognise the advantages of both, you don't know your instrument.[/quote]
That notwithstanding, I play about 2 strokes with a plectrum, then just go back to my fingers. I just can't get on with it. Not deriding those who use a plectrum, it's just not for me...

I started off as a guitarist too, then switched to bass, so started with a pick. I quickly switched to finger style and tried mixing it up a bit. Up until recently I've been 100% finger, although at band practise last week I randomly flopped a pick out, and it really fitted some of the songs, was great fun to play again, and got a lovely sound out of my Spector! :)

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='373099' date='Jan 7 2009, 02:38 PM']When I decided to be God I recall blowing your local pub up. I didn;t think at the time how much harm this may cause you.
I've just had it rebuilt so for Christ's sake get out and get down there :) :huh: :huh:[/quote]

Thanks for that; but I'm off the p*55 in January.

I've got a button collection as well. Would you like to see it?

[quote name='Linus27' post='372574' date='Jan 6 2009, 11:04 PM']I wedge mine between the A or D string on the bridge where the string sits on the saddle.[/quote]

Is there a chance that it may dampen the string a bit though? Normally I wedge my pick between the body and the scratchplate a la JE and others, along the top edge - always comes in handy!

Very interesting thread here, I (like so many others it seems!) only really picked one up recently* and have totally rethought how I play because of it. Although it's not useful in all styles, it certainly has opened up new avenues for me.

Actually, come to think of it, I haven't played slap bass in 6 months!

*pun very much intended

"Normally" I play with my fingers (I learnt to pick with three fingers, it's not big or clever, and some people can play faster and more accurately than me with two, it's just that I taught myself to play and I ended up playing with three, for better or worse), but sometimes I get a pick out and bash through some old tunes (The Jam, The Smiths, The Cure, Pixies, Stone Roses, Ned's, etc.) for the hell of it, and I do enjoy it.

I'm actually tempted now - in my middle-age - to buy a P-bass for the first time ever, just to have an authentic "thrash it with a pick" bass to play when I feel like doing that. It sounds good, but feels wrong, to do it on a Thumb bass...

Edited by thisnameistaken

I use both. Fingers are predominant as I find it easier, although I'm terrible at damping with my pinky and ring fingers on my plucking hand, and palm muting is much easier with a pick. I'm also faster with my fingers, either using two or three finger methods, than I am with a plectum, partly because I've done it more and partly because I've not really practiced alternate picking with a plectrum.

I suppose it's also because I play a bit of guitar (learning to anyway), on which a pick is near essential for ease of chords, so I'm no stranger to it.

Both have their uses, and it's good to have them both as skills.