Why become a member? ×

Pet Shop boys @ Hyde Park

taunton-hobbit

I only thought they had a couple of hits. They were a little before my time though, and a little too Smooth FM for my tastes.

I’ve seen quite a few people on Facebook saying how good it was. Is the reason for people on here not liking it due to there being no live drums or something?

21 minutes ago, ambient said:

I only thought they had a couple of hits. They were a little before my time though, and a little too Smooth FM for my tastes.

I’ve seen quite a few people on Facebook saying how good it was. Is the reason for people on here not liking it due to there being no live drums or something?

Quite possibly. I've always disliked the PSB, vapid soulless tunes with a dreary vocal makes for a very boring gig for me. Also their desecration of 'You were always on mind' ranks for me as one of the worst cover versions ever! Obviously there are a lot of people who don't agree judging by their popularity 😄

Bands with just a couple of keyboards / perc etc are never going to be as entertaining for me as those with a fuller line up, hence their need for all those dancers and effects I guess. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, casapete said:

Quite possibly. I've always disliked the PSB, vapid soulless tunes with a dreary vocal makes for a very boring gig for me. Also their desecration of 'You were always on mind' ranks for me as one of the worst cover versions ever! Obviously there are a lot of people who don't agree judging by their popularity 😄

Bands with just a couple of keyboards / perc etc are never going to be as entertaining for me as those with a fuller line up, hence their need for all those dancers and effects I guess. 

You were always on my mind was one of the two I could remember, along with West end girls. One or the other is always playing whenever I have the misfortune to hear Smooth FM, a radio station for people who don’t particularly like music.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, ambient said:

You were always on my mind was one of the two I could remember, along with West end girls. One or the other is always playing whenever I have the misfortune to hear Smooth FM, a radio station for people who don’t particularly like music.

One of our band members often has Smooth FM on when we're driving home after a gig. I'm always worried he'll fall asleep at the wheel.  Smooth FM seems to cater for people who grew up through the 80's mainly, although I imagine Alexander O'Neal must love them for all the airtime his few tunes receive 😅

• Like 1

On 16/09/2019 at 14:11, Strawbs664 said:

I sat through it as Mrs Strawbs was watching it. I was gobsmacked by the lack of energy for a live performance!

The 'energy' is in the robotic synth lines, which assuming a half decent PA/mix, can sound great live. Shame the PSBs have to occasionally ruin the effect by singing

3 hours ago, ambient said:

Smooth FM, a radio station for people who don’t particularly like music.

Nicely put

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 17/09/2019 at 10:39, casapete said:

Saw Tangerine Dream twice, ‘80 & ‘81. 3 guys sitting behind a bunch of keys/synths in almost complete darkness, 2 of the best gigs ever.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 4000 said:

Saw Tangerine Dream twice, ‘80 & ‘81. 3 guys sitting behind a bunch of keys/synths in almost complete darkness, 2 of the best gigs ever.

1 hour ago, Jus Lukin said:

I'll look the show up. In the context of 80's pop they had some strong material and a distinctive thing going on.

That kind of music has a very different style of performance, in no small part due to the instrumentation. I'm rather fond of Kraftwerk, and there is probably more movement onstage when they wheel out the motorised mannequins of themselves!

Ha ha, I've seen both TG and Kraftwerk, and yes, not a lot going on in terms of physical movement to be sure. A whole lot more going on it terms of music to my mind :)

9 minutes ago, TimR said:

I listened to it live on Radio 2. Thought it sounded awesome. Crowd were loving it. 

I cant image watching them to be particularly riveting. I’m sure they used to add loads of dancers in hot pants to their gigs to liven it up. 

Reminding me of watching their Discovery tour filmed in Rio back in ‘95 🙂

I saw them myself in Newcastle at the Metro a good few years ago.. 2010ish maybe.. and it was a great gig! The dancers were less baby-oiled and more boxes-on-heads, but still there in force.

20 hours ago, Jus Lukin said:

I'll look the show up. In the context of 80's pop they had some strong material and a distinctive thing going on.

That kind of music has a very different style of performance, in no small part due to the instrumentation. I'm rather fond of Kraftwerk, and there is probably more movement onstage when they wheel out the motorised mannequins of themselves!

Indeed. I saw them at  Blue Dot this summer.  Can't remember any movement or any words tbh but then again if they had spoken and put moves together that would have gone against their robot schtick

But standing still and looking bored was their thing. If they got a keytar and started running round the stage everyone would moan about them trying to be rock stars. They've stuck to what they do and their fans like it, and I say good on them.