Why become a member? ×

Buy online, it's the future.

William James Easton

I was just reading the thread about decent music shops and I wasn't suprised to realise that there are no decent retailers near me. Leeds has a couple, york used to but not to sure anymore. I have to travel to doncaster to electro to try decent amps. anyhoo got me thinking about online retailers. Who do we all use? who's cheap, whos quick and who can you trust (shops not women!) Now i am not always chuffed to by things online, music shops in general are good independent retailers and we should be strive to keep them in our towns providing a much need service to us awkward musicians.
Times are tough and finacial situatuions mean you have to look after number one.
I used GAK in the past and stingbuster for well strings.
anybody else recomend decent sites? there are so many amature dodgy looking retailers online its hard to know if you've found a bargin or are about to be ripped off.

sorry if already been done rto death.

I've bought loads of music stuff online - mostly strings and recording gear. I'd only buy a bass/guitar if the price was reeeeeally good.

EDIT: I’ve issues with Dolphin in the past, but that was due to something not being in stock and them not telling me, and then I ended up waiting 2 months for it to be delivered. Everyone else I’ve used (and I’ve used most of the big UK online retailers) have been great.

Edited by benwhiteuk

[quote name='rasher80' post='361943' date='Dec 23 2008, 01:21 PM']Anybody ever bought anything from Anderton's? they're supposed to have some decent prices[/quote]

Not personally but a friend uses them all the time and really likes them. He buys at the shop and not online though.

I've had a very good experience with GAK but it was mail order rather than online which means I phoned them up and didn't just order online.

The order was for a Gibson Firebird. They hoped it would take about a month to arrive. It actually took four and a half months but everytime I phoned to check they were always helpful. They normally take a 10% deposit on an order that is not in stock but because they knew this would be a quite a while they took no deposit.

When it eventually arrived I asked for it to be unpacked, checked over, and set up, and not just shipped on. This was done but the guy I was dealing with over the phone said he still wasn't quite happy with the set-up - slight rattling above the fifteenth fret - and so he sent it back to the workshop to be sorted. Only then did I pay and the beautifully set up guitar was shipped to me.

[quote name='rasher80' post='361943' date='Dec 23 2008, 01:21 PM']Anybody ever bought anything from Anderton's? they're supposed to have some decent prices[/quote]
Yes, but not online. They are just up the road from my office. Prices can be reasonable, but generally on a par with GAK who are fairly close to home one way & Nevada the other, though the "normal" stock differs so it give me a chance to compare stuff.

I have used DV24 for more techy / recording stuff.

Not had bad experiences with any to date, though I tend to gravitate towards the GAK shop most times

DV42 are really good, but I tend to phone my local shop and have them send it, it does work out cheaper that way, they remember you and will work out a discount.

But if it's a major purchase, ie a couple of hundred pounds or more, then you really can't beat going to a shop, even if you have to catch a train or coach down to London, a train from Birmingham to London is only £17 return, you can then see and try what you're buying.

And most shops will discount the advertised prices, especially if you pay cash.

Online I've bought from fendershop, guitarbargains & Thomann but as the Euro is very low just now, they're not cheaper anymore.

Had good service from Blue Aran when the drivers in my Behringer 4x10" tried to leave the cab and I've ordered some speaker components from them with no hickups.

My latest purchase is from Darren at the Bass Merchant. Answered every email and it should be with me today. Mentioned on a thread here that I would email him to find out when it would be coming, he must've read it and emailed me before I was even up the next morning.

Most of my purchases are on Ebay.

I've ordered stuff from basspartsresource from time to time but they never answer emails. I ordered something by mistake and wanted to change it literally seconds after ordering as I realised that I had made a mistake but never received a reply.

The dollar's going the same direction as the Euro but bassguitarstrings.us are good when the rates are better.

andertons.co.uk - are good guys
thomann.de - are great when the Euro's weaker. Exceptional service but some of their own brand stuff is dubious quality
bassdirect.co.uk
bassmerchant.com

Remember that cheap prices are great but the acid test (as with all retail, me thinks) is what happens when stuff goes wrong/is broken.

[quote name='ARGH' post='361946' date='Dec 23 2008, 01:22 PM']What constitutes decent gear?[/quote]
That was going to be my question.

@the OP. You're in Harrogate, it might be worth you talking to Iain at Rockbox in Northallerton. What's in his shop represents about a third of his actual stock, so there's a good chance he may have something of interest to you.