Why become a member? ×

why buy fender?

saibuster

I understand wateroftyne opinion and i agree that any musical instrument should be tested in your own hands before getting into a conclusion.
But i do feel that this review shows that Squire basses are now proving to be a HUGE bang for the buck.

Unfortunately "Made in America" doest mean a lot to me anymore, and i really truly believe that the people who make these basses in Indonesia or China or whatever
have a much bigger drive and interest to make their instruments to the highest possible quality with the tools they have. The same thing cannot be said about American factories. (GM, FORD anyone?) They have nothing to prove to anyone (or shall i say had? ).

[quote name='aceuggy' post='359595' date='Dec 20 2008, 02:13 PM']+1 to that. Who would you be trying to kid, other than yourself![/quote]

Errr... sniffy gear-head musos at auditions, audiences, gear-snob promoters, prospective agents, e-bay bidders, thieves, gullible youths with wads of cash :) .

[quote name='neepheid' post='359584' date='Dec 20 2008, 02:01 PM']I wholeheartedly disapprove of people putting Fender logos on Squiers. What's the point? It's just a fraudulent expression of insecurity from one's inner gear snob.[/quote]

I put one on my fender copy cos the headstock was blank. If i wasn't selling my squier i'd stick one on that too. Just looks nicer! Also darkens the headstock a bit when i coat it so it's not too pale (think pale headstocks look really cheap, my copy is nice and yellowy now).
I see squiers as Indonesian (or wherever) fenders anyway, as much a fender as a MIM is.

It's really quite amazing that after all this time, the Fender / Squier issue still gets folk so heated!

Back in 2002, when after 30+ years playing bass and lead, and various (USA) Strats, an SG and all sorts over the years, I finally decided that what I wanted for my birthday was a Telecaster, I played all sorts, from cheap knock-offs to far too expensive Americans, and the one that really sounded, and played, right was a Squier.

Six years on, and I've reverted back to bass as my main instrument. But when I play guitar, my first choice is still that Squier, despite a Strat sitting in its case that must be worth 10x the cost of replacing the Tele.

Squiers, good ones, are simply good instruments, period. Personally, I've been in this game long enough not to worry about what's on the headstock. Actually, in a perverse way, it quite pleases me that I probably sound better on my Squier than many of those who'd be sniffy about its decal :)

The newer Squier basses, even the Standards (whose pickups are not, certainly, as good as the Duncan Designed ones) are good basses - the VM and Vibe ones are very good basses indeed, by any measure.

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='359666' date='Dec 20 2008, 03:58 PM']Errr... sniffy gear-head musos at auditions, audiences, gear-snob promoters, prospective agents, e-bay bidders, thieves, gullible youths with wads of cash :huh: .[/quote]

Yeah ok, but apart from them? :)

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='359529' date='Dec 20 2008, 12:59 PM']Anyway, rather than this being a slight on the current quality of Fender, isn't it the case that the current quality of Squiers should be celebrated instead?

It seems to me that Squiers have just got far better in the last couple of years.

It's a bit like telling Steely Dan to improve because Nearly Dan are doing such a good impression of them.[/quote]

I agree 100% the quality of the new squiers should be celebrated. I think it is awesome that for under 300 you can pick up a quality bass that is solidly built and sounds good and that you could easily gig with

Edited by markdavid

[quote name='markdavid' post='359841' date='Dec 20 2008, 08:00 PM']I agree 100% the quality of the new squiers should be celebrated. I think it is awesome that for under 300 you can pick up a quality bass that is solidly built and sounds good and that you could easily gig with[/quote]

Yes, very true and it means a lot of people starting out can get a decent bass for not much money. Its all good stuff really.

[quote name='markdavid' post='359841' date='Dec 20 2008, 09:00 PM']I agree 100% the quality of the new squiers should be celebrated. I think it is awesome that for under 300 you can pick up a quality bass that is solidly built and sounds good and that you could easily gig with[/quote]

Absolutely, I'd definitely not hesitate to gig my VM Jazz.

And if it helps much - here's the list of basses I tried out in the shop just to compare differences between them. I realise as many have said that trying out in a shop will never quite rival getting your bass on stage at full whack, but who's gonna be there handing you a rack of squiers for each different song at the next gig you play? :)

Fender MIM Jazz (No bad points, very "average" bass in my opinion)
[url="http://www.squierguitars.com/products/search.php?partno=0326702521"]Squier Vintage Modified Jazz [/url](Lovely finish, great pickups and maple neck - I bought this one!)
[url="http://www.squierguitars.com/products/search.php?partno=0303075505"]Squier Classic Vibe Jazz [/url](Great neck and bigger bridge, but the pickups didn't beat the VM. About on par with the MIM for sound)
[url="http://www.squierguitars.com/products/search.php?partno=0303070572"]Squier Classic Vibe 60s Precision [/url](Second place. Great sound and feel, but I just liked the VM Jazz that wee bit more)
[url="http://www.squierguitars.com/products/search.php?partno=0303080502"]Squier Classic Vibe 50s Precision[/url] (Played like a dream, felt great, but let down by the pickup and the major hum)
[url="http://www.squierguitars.com/products/search.php?partno=0326902500"]Squier Vintage Modified Precision TB [/url](Another telebass style one, but the pickup was just too wooly due to the position, and I didn't like the 2-saddle bridge)
[url="http://www.squierguitars.com/products/search.php?partno=0326500592"]Squier Standard Series Jazz[/url] (Cheapest of the lot. Still rivalled the MIM, but not as "fun" as the classic vibe guys, and had a shady satin finish)

I just had a quick peek and saw that Brian Richie of The Sword is using the Classic Vibe 50s Precision with a quarter pounder in, that might make it one awesome and cheap bass. I've seen the sword a couple of times, and his Fender MIJ 51 reissue with a quarter pounder took me the closest I've ever been to sh*tting myself through low frequencies!

I kinda wish they'd had the VM Precision as well, because I'd really liked the look of that when I'd seen it before, but sadly it wasn't to be. I was definitely very impressed with the Classic Vibe range all round though, certainly come on leaps and bounds since my first Squier Affinity Series Precision all those years ago....

The Squire 70s telecaster with P90s I bought for around £160 new last year was the best sounding guitar I've owned. Build quality was far better than the Mexican Fender's I've had too. The only things that let it down were the components - nut, pots, tuners and bridge were all a bit naff.

I've always wanted a Jazz style bass since even before I started playing but the only one that I tried in about 15 years that I ever connected enough to buy it with was my maple-necked Squier VM Jazz.

I also recently decided to try a few Precision types as that's another itch that I've been needing to scratch. I tried a few out in GuitarGuitar in Glasgow and decided none of them were really for me. But the Classic Vibe 50 P had the most amazing neck and action. It actually played like the Status MM neck on the Groove I used to have. I considered buying that P just for the neck. The finish was of great quality too.

Oh yeah, I should add that my Squier was bought to replace my Status.

These posts made me bimble off to my local music store and have a look at the precision, and the 50s precision, and I think they are great value foor the money.

We are silly to ourselves really, skylines and tributes are considered really good instruments, but if its a squier, some people are a bit sniffy.

i think the precision felt equally is good in my hands as does my MIJ and a new pickup is not expensive if you need to, and im going to buy a 50s reissue.

[quote name='Beedster' post='359498' date='Dec 20 2008, 12:25 PM']Probably true of most basses :) One of the best sounding bass players I've seen live was playing a pretty average late '90s Squire through a pretty crap combo but boy did he sound awesome.[/quote]

Wow,
was that me?!! I play a decidedly average late 90s Squier through a Roland DB500!!

But seriously, it's not as good as my American Jazz Deluxe, but I don't sh*t myself when I drop it either.

I know nothing about bass guitars and recently wanted to get a new one - I had no preconceptions, no budget except that I wanted to pay as little as possible. The Squier range seemed, in theory, to be exactly what I was looking for - I really didn't give a toss about what was on the headstock - and that blonde Squier 70s re-issue looked sexy as hell sitting on the rack.

I spent hours and hours playing everything on the wall in PMT music in Southend, which is quite a lot. Various Squier/Fender Pand Jazz - MIM, MIJ, MIA and Jaguar - loads, really.

Maybe I have expensive fingers but the only (Fender-type) guitars that 'felt' right - good tight build quality, heavy duty bling, good tone, playable necks, tone et al, were from mid range Fender upwards. None of the MIM felt good. Some of the MIJ stuff was good. Heck, I bought a MIJ Jaguar. The one that felt most comfortable, but not for me just yet, was the MIA Jazz.

Not one of the Squiers cut it, frankly, and I was really disappointed after everything I had read. Maybe I was just unlucky and they only had 'Friday Afternoon At The End of a sh*tty Week' basses there. But I tried.

[quote name='Toadonroll' post='361173' date='Dec 22 2008, 04:40 PM']OK. I wanna try one for myself! Does anyone know anywhere in London that stocks the Jazz?

If I buy it I'll need to be pointed in the direction of a DIY shop to buy some gaffa tape to cover up that embarrassing logo :)[/quote]

Chris Bryants and Chappell Music both have them.

Surely we should also be asking

Why buy Gibson (Epiphone)
Why buy Warwick (Rockbass)
Why buy ESP (Ltd)

The answer is that the devil is in the detail, smoother fingerboard edges, binding, graphite reinforced necks, nicer woods, nicer pickups, better finishing of frets and neck varnish/lacquer.

[quote name='saibuster' post='359366' date='Dec 20 2008, 02:31 AM']after watching this video...

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6Cd98DH__U"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6Cd98DH__U[/url][/quote]

i have owned a 'real' fender from usa...the build was not as i would have expected round the neck to body joint
it sounded ok though and was made of tough materials..1998 model
i havent looked closely at a squier but would expect it to be on a par with a usa fender
most owners of any fender iirc are all about changing pups/ splts/ bridge/ tuners/ and god knows what else
so what is the real draw with fenders
they are easy to upgrade??

Edited by mrcrow

I have been lusting after a USA Jazz bass for some time but due to price I could not justify the outlay, But now I see the light , I will be taking my £250 to the Squier Classic Vibe Jazz man. Hope it lives up to expectation. Have had a Squier P for years that has a nice neck and I am about to upgrade with Wizard Thump pups. :)

Edited by clash33