Why become a member? ×

why buy fender?

saibuster

Those new classic vibes are brilliant basses, though i think some people prefer a different name on the headstock :)

Though squier don't make anything like my fender. P/J combination and active EQ. The classic series appear to be miles ahead of the standard mexican series fenders, though i have yet to try a classic vibe squier, they seem to be pretty good. A classic vibe jazz is on my list for sure :huh:

I've just bought a Squier Vintage Modified Jazz, and I have to say, I'm incredibly impressed with it.

I tried a whole bunch of the Squier Classic Vibe/Vintage Modified basses, and they were all pretty impressive. I was split 50/50 between the Vint Mod Jazz and the Classic Vibe 60s Precision, but the Jazz just won out by the narrowest of margins. The 50s Precision was beautiful to play, but the single coil pickup just lacked that precision thump and it hummed like a b*****d.

So yeah, really great build quality and finish (beautiful natural body), excellent "duncan designed" pickups (better than the regular squier pups by quite a way), and just lovely to play! The plan had been to just buy a "cheapo" bass for travelling around with, but the Squier has impressed me so much, I'm thinking I'll wanna take it back to the UK with me - I'm travelling in NZ at the moment.

Yep, listening to those recordings there's not a lot in it. I would add the caveat that it wasn't exactly a scientific approach as there was some discrepancy in the the output/recording levels of some of the samples (evident when they blended mid play), which 'might' skew how one or other of the basses came across. However overall I'd agree with marcus that in a live situation you'd be VERY hard pushed to tell the difference between most of those.

That is a very interesting video. I have a Squier Classic Vibes 60's Jazz and I like it very much. I thought all the Squier's stood up very well against the Fenders. But of course they don't have the Fender logo on the headstock!

Edited by aceuggy

i tryed both the 50's and 60's cv p basses and was very impressed,especially the 60's one.i also found on the 50's one the pup wasnt as good but still sounded sweet.i tryed the 60's p-bass against a mim fender p and the highway one,highway sounded slightly better but was £300 more.the squier was a lot better than the mim p-bass and about £100 cheaper.so i would reccomend one of these cv's to anyone,infact im thinking of buying the 60's p-bass to replace my mia fender jazz!

Seems to me the main difference between Ed Friedland's basses and the classic vibe models were his strings seemed to be older and more played in whilst the no doubt factory fresh cv's had lovely bright new strings.

I play a squier (1983 precision) 'cos at the time it was about a third the price of a US built Fender and unless you looked very closely at the small print on the headstock you couldn't tell if one of those was built in the US or in Japan anyway. If you don't like the logo you can always stick some masking tape over it........

Before i bought my Squier (Standard Jazz) i compared them to MIM and USA Jazzes, it sounded better than the MIM, felt better and looked a hell of a lot more expensive! It wasn't far off the USA Jazz too. After seeing a previous thread about sloppy and lazy pickup routing on USA Fenders it's nice to look under the scratchplate and see good, tidy work.
I really don't mind having Squier on the headstock, even if i did mind it'd cost under a tenner to put a decal on there!

the strings did sound different. I think that the fender P's just edged out the Squiers. I wonder what model Jap ones they were though as this would affect what pups they had in them. The fender just seemed to have more in the low end, which is what i would want on a P bass.
In a straight fight i thought the squire Jazz sounded better than the USA CS one! I think once the strings wore in a bit it would be even better!

[quote name='henry norton' post='359448' date='Dec 20 2008, 11:15 AM']Seems to me the main difference between Ed Friedland's basses and the classic vibe models were his strings seemed to be older and more played in whilst the no doubt factory fresh cv's had lovely bright new strings.

I play a squier (1983 precision) 'cos at the time it was about a third the price of a US built Fender and unless you looked very closely at the small print on the headstock you couldn't tell if one of those was built in the US or in Japan anyway. If you don't like the logo you can always stick some masking tape over it........[/quote]

Ah! Now I just assumed they would have strung all of the basses with identical fresh strings, just as I would take for granted that the recording/desk settings would have been flat so as not to advantage any particular instrument. Maybe it's just me but if that isn't the case then any comparison is pretty much a waste of time!

Fender's prices have gotten silly at the moment and i don't recall being given a reason for the price hike (was there an official line?)

I can only imagine the 2nd hand market for Fenders will prosper. Having said all this, i am in the market for a new US standard P. Yes i can afford it, but i don't like being held to ransom.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='359406' date='Dec 20 2008, 09:57 AM']However overall I'd agree with marcus that in a live situation you'd be VERY hard pushed to tell the difference between most of those.[/quote]

Probably true of most basses :)

The problem with the type of 'research' above is that it is focusing on one factor whilst, as we all know, a number of factors determine why we choose a specific bass. One of the best sounding bass players I've seen live was playing a pretty average late '90s Squire through a pretty crap combo but boy did he sound awesome. I'll certainly be the first to admit that my collection of vintage Leo basses aren't necessarily any better sounding than some currently manufactured instruments that cost perhaps 20% of the price of the oldies. But sound isn't the only reason I bought them :huh:

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='359494' date='Dec 20 2008, 12:20 PM']How useful is this comparison?

Who knows what a bass is *really* like until you've used is at a gig?

Not I...[/quote]

That's the truth BUT we are talking 'comparison' i.e. how one sounds against the other. My comment about the usefulness of the comparison was aimed at the fact that if they didn't use identical strings and settings then you aren't getting anywhere near a useful comparison (though as you say it don't mean squat till you fire it up with other instruments). TBH if you've got the kind of money it takes to buy a CS Fender, no comparison on earth is going to convince you that a £250 bass is as good as a £2500 one. :)

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='359502' date='Dec 20 2008, 12:32 PM']That's the truth BUT we are talking 'comparison' i.e. how one sounds against the other. My comment about the usefulness of the comparison was aimed at the fact that if they didn't use identical strings and settings then you aren't getting anywhere near a useful comparison (though as you say it don't mean squat till you fire it up with other instruments).[/quote]

Indeed, but I'm referring to the title of the OP: 'best squire vs fender test ever.'

It's not really, is it?

How two basses compare in an living room at 'polite' volume is no indication of how they will compare at a gig. Playing stuff at volume really brings out the differences.. I'm not neccessarily talking about what the punters hear - more how the player hears it. That counts for a lot.

I'm not making any assumptions re: Fender CS vs. Squier, by the way. It could go any way!

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='359468' date='Dec 20 2008, 11:38 AM']the strings did sound different. I think that the fender P's just edged out the Squiers. I wonder what model Jap ones they were though as this would affect what pups they had in them. The fender just seemed to have more in the low end, which is what i would want on a P bass.[/quote]

The Squires all had a more prominent treble peak that gave them an overall more jangly sound - and that could well be down to newer strings. The more expensive basses had more 'oomph' at the bottom end - they were fatter with more thud. I wonder how much of that difference you could compensate for with a different pickup and some eq.