Why become a member? ×

Helping to fight fraudsters on BC

ped

Hi folks

As you know, items priced at £50 and under are free to post here. Recently we introduced some code that means anything listed under the threshold has to be approved first, because in the past we’ve seen scammers listing basses worth thousands for £1 just so they can avoid paying the fee. 

The fee protects you as customers - if a seller is dishonest enough to defraud our system we don’t expect them to be great people to deal with. 

Currently there’s a gap in the code where items posted at exactly £50 are free and may pass by the filter, too. 

Today I’ve had to stop three idiots trying to evade payment this way. Often people have commented on the thread before I’ve been able to take it down. 

Could you help out by clicking ‘report post’ instead, so I can get rid? 

I’ve asked for the gap to be plugged ASAP so hopefully this won’t be for long. 

Lets try and keep the marketplace free of these types of people please!

Cheers

ped

• Like 18

Strangely enough they never reply to the PM I usually send! 

Everyone who does it gets a warning which stays on record and after two goes their content gets moderated before it appears on the site. 

Some own up and apologise, others scuttle back off to gumtree or Facebook 😝 good riddance. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, BreadBin said:

It's only £18 isn't it? Hardly extortionate!

£18 to renew an existing £20 sub. Most people also see the sub as a kind of ‘thank you’ which is nice, and the good people far outweigh the scammers. It annoys me when they get through though because it makes a mockery of those who pay and pierces our safe little ecosystem which we’ve developed over the years!

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

So how does it work? Suppose I contact Sid Scammer and say "I'll have your Fodera for a quid"? Does he say he's had a better offer and invite me to top it?

They say ‘actual price is £3500’ in the ad and make it sound like they didn’t put £1 on purpose. We’ve had some classics recently, one guy even said ‘it’s not £50 it’s £750 but it asked me to pay if I put that’

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, ped said:

They say ‘actual price is £3500’ in the ad and make it sound like they didn’t put £1 on purpose. We’ve had some classics recently, one guy even said ‘it’s not £50 it’s £750 but it asked me to pay if I put that’

:facepalm:

When I finally amassed enough gear to actually be able to sell some of it, I havered over paying to advertise it here. How much would I have to charge per item to make back my £20.

Then I had a bit of a word with myself. Basschat is worth the £20 regardless of whether I buy and sell here. The advice, companionship, inspiration and ideas are worth a sight more in fact.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3

30 minutes ago, stewblack said:

When I finally amassed enough gear to actually be able to sell some of it, I havered over paying to advertise it here. How much would I have to charge per item to make back my £20.

Then I had a bit of a word with myself. Basschat is worth the £20 regardless of whether I buy and sell here. The advice, companionship, inspiration and ideas are worth a sight more in fact.

I very rarely actually advertise anything on here, but do trade and also answer wanted ads so feel it's only reasonable to pay the subs. But also like you I get plenty of enjoyment 👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I wonder if you're underselling the whole subs thing, boss?

I keep meaning to sign up for the subs, though there's nothing I want to sell at present.

Perhaps a 'Premium Member' usergroup for those who've paid up?

I'm sure you've thought about it before though.

I used to belong to a Scooby forum that had premium subs or basic membership for free... though that forum went to sh*t (though I think that was because of it was sold off by the owner to Internet Brands).

Edited by Ricky 4000
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Ricky 4000 said:

I wonder if you're underselling the whole subs thing, boss?

I keep meaning to sign up for the subs, though there's nothing I want to sell at present.

Perhaps a 'Premium Member' usergroup for those who've paid up?

I'm sure you've thought about it before though.

I used to belong to a Scooby forum that had premium subs or basic membership for free... though that forum went to sh*t (though I think that was because of it was sold off by the owner to Internet Brands).

I love scooby doo, shaggy and all the gang. can you give me an address for the site please?

• Haha 5

Not wishing to derail this but while we're on the subject, you've reminded me.....

I recently got an email telling me my £18 was due.

I'm not keen on clicking links in emails - but i can't find anywhere on the site that allows me to pay my dues .

This is no doubt because I've very stupid but please help a confused old man and tell me how I pay my £18 😀

3 minutes ago, Skinnyman said:

Not wishing to derail this but while we're on the subject, you've reminded me.....

I'm not keen on clicking links in emails - but i can't find anywhere on the site that allows me to pay my dues .

This is no doubt because I've very stupid but please help a confused old man and tell me how I pay my £18 😀

... ah, a clever way of letting everybody know that you're already a premium member... ;)

(Scooby the car, you other numbskulls. :laugh1:)

Auto___Subaru_Test_drive_the_car_Subaru_

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Skinnyman said:

It’ll come out automatically if you chose that option. Otherwise there’s an orange button in the email which should take you to the correct page here 

https://www.basschat.co.uk/clients/purchases/ 

You can click ‘renew now’ 

Thanks

ped

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, BassTractor said:

Methinks its about time you othah numbskull's started to respec my noledges.
It's diving! Scooby diving!
(OK then: AKA Scubaru)

96DOHJr.jpg

Brilliant! :D

Ricky really should respek ur nolige! 👍

:)

• Like 1