Jump to content
Left leaderboard
BassApprentice

Bass Guitar Mag - Joe Dart Edition

Recommended Posts

Seriously now... I can understand wearing a Vulf tee... but a Joe Dart tee? That's some niche uber bass geekery.

I can picture it now.

"Hey, nice tee. Who's Joe Dart?"

"A bass player."

"Riiiggghhhht."

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, wateroftyne said:

Great player, but why would anyone wear a t-shirt with his name on it?

Validation.

*phew*

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ONE SIZE ONLY (LARGE) - they're really sticking to those bass player clichés 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can always cut it up and use the pieces for cleaning/polishing your own bass.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

T shirt is a nice touch, can’t see it does any harm. I still wear a 15 year old Star Trek t shirt - that’s genuinely sad.

What I don’t get is the Joe Dart love. Seems like a pretty simple and obvious pastiche of 70/ funk stuff to me. Technically it’s ok, but it’s emotionally dead (to me, obviously not everyone!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

T shirt is a nice touch, can’t see it does any harm. I still wear a 15 year old Star Trek t shirt - that’s genuinely sad.

What I don’t get is the Joe Dart love. Seems like a pretty simple and obvious pastiche of 70/ funk stuff to me. Technically it’s ok, but it’s emotionally dead (to me, obviously not everyone!)

I must admit the music leaves me a bit cold, too. I love funky playing but it’s like Vulf try and be SO retro/hipster that it puts me off. That and he’s better than me and that’s not fair. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, ped said:

I must admit the music leaves me a bit cold, too. I love funky playing but it’s like Vulf try and be SO retro/hipster that it puts me off. That and he’s better than me and that’s not fair. 

Nicely put. I’m not too-cool-for-school and can really appreciate the technical side of it, just emotionally doesn’t hit me. If he’s inspiring people to play (and isn’t Flea) then good for him, and for all bass players.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We can't abide bass players going popular, 's not right!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Burns-bass said:

Nicely put. I’m not too-cool-for-school and can really appreciate the technical side of it, just emotionally doesn’t hit me. If he’s inspiring people to play (and isn’t Flea) then good for him, and for all bass players.

I find a lot of modern 'Funk' like that. I recently found a list of the top 20 funk albums of 2018 and nearly all of them have low-fi recording technique to make it sound 'funky' - which of course does the opposite.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I enjoy watching Vulfpecks gigs much more than just listening.
Don't really know why, but i get a little bored when it's just the music after a little while.
Not knocking any of them, they're obviously phenomenal musicians.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, wateroftyne said:

Great player, but why would anyone wear a t-shirt with his name on it?

Because we enjoy sharing the things we love with others. Its a basic part of human life. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Because we enjoy sharing the things we love with others. Its a basic part of human life. 

Yeah, I agree - stirring music, the joys of family and friends, the rugged beauty of the Scottish Lochs, and a t-shirt with the words 'Joe Dart' printed on the front.

Edited by wateroftyne
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ped said:

I find a lot of modern 'Funk' like that. I recently found a list of the top 20 funk albums of 2018 and nearly all of them have low-fi recording technique to make it sound 'funky' - which of course does the opposite.

Agreed. It’s technically great, but like much modern jazz, it’s pretty emotionless and just seems like a pastiche of a ‘better’ age. Not sure if you’ve ever listened to library music (the sort of incidental stuff licensed by filmmakers etc), it sounds very much like that to me.

I do actually quite like some of Vulf guitarist Theo Katzman’s solo stuff. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

Agreed. It’s technically great, but like much modern jazz, it’s pretty emotionless and just seems like a pastiche of a ‘better’ age. Not sure if you’ve ever listened to library music (the sort of incidental stuff licensed by filmmakers etc), it sounds very much like that to me.

I do actually quite like some of Vulf guitarist Theo Katzman’s solo stuff. 

Yes, in fact I’ve played/recorded a fair bit of library music over the years (dad worked in TV). Fun to play but I accept probably not that fun to listen to! Again I do really like some Vulf and I’ve only heard some of the instrumental pieces so I’m not talking about them specifically. I’ll try and find that link. Among the bands there was one really modern and hifi sounding band who were great, I haven’t fully delved into them yet so will need to dig it out again anyway. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've only listened to bands like 'Vulf' and 'Snarky' after reading about them on here. While can I appreciate what's going on the music just passes me by.

I'd wear a "Scott Thunes was my Elvis" Tee shirt.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just can’t wear T shirts with stuff written in them any more. Suddenly just don’t like it! I’d rather people saw me as a blank canvas of mystery and intrigue. Which brings me to another point, why on earth would someone pay well over the odds for a shirt with SUPERDRY JAPAN 🇯🇵 on it?! The mind boggles 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

70s classic funk is one of my fave genres but  for me none of these current so-called funk bands cut it. They may have the technical chops but none that I've come across have that swing. I remember there used to be a bit of a mini hype about The Bamboos. I listened to their debut album but it's just soulless swing -free pastiche of the Tower of Power sound. Ditto Vulfpeck, The Internet, Quantic Soul Orchestra, Snarky Puppy etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ped said:

why on earth would someone pay well over the odds for a shirt with SUPERDRY JAPAN 🇯🇵 on it?! The mind boggles 

Because it brings them joy. I'm only guessing of course. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



  • Similar Content

    • By Nouse_
      *OFFERS WELCOME*
      This Ernie Ball Music Man Sterling has recently been restrung and set up by my local guitar tech with a nice low action. This is in excellent condition with one small mark pictured. Come with the original case and two different pickguards. Take the pickguard off and you get that Joe Dart style look, but with active electronics! (Pickguard screws will be included).
      Renowned for its slightly smaller body and neck profile, the Sterling 4 string bass boasts a big sound. 9 volt active 3 band EQ preamp, 3 position pickup selector switch and a ceramic humbucker with hum canceling phantom coil come standard on the Sterling, allowing this bass to cut through any mix. Optional additional pickups in the neck position only add to the versatility of this innovative bass.












    • By stewblack
      Friend of mine recently picked up the bass having toiled away for decades on that funny toy with the thin strings. I of course am steering him as he takes these first steps on the road to righteousness. Today he asked me a penetrating question and I mumbled something about Markbass and fingers but thought I'd ask if anyone here has anything more penetrating to say on the subject. He asked me "How does he get that sound?".
      The he in question is Joe Dart. The sound is that of a master technician at work and while I know we all have our own distinct sound as much to do with how we strike the strings as anything else, can I at least throw the guy a bone? Anyone know if Joe uses any effects? What strings he prefers etc. It was this video by the way.
    • By gapiro
      I felt this just warranted its own thread.
       
    • By Geo S
      Hi! I am Geo and I've just made my first bass cover to Vulfpeck - Dean Town and I want to share it with you.
       
       
×
×
  • Create New...