Grassie

Your experiences of playing in a tribute band.

That's really helpful, thanks Dave. The singer gigs at The Box a good bit so that should be an easy one to tick off. 

52 minutes ago, magee said:

That's really helpful, thanks Dave. The singer gigs at The Box a good bit so that should be an easy one to tick off. 

Hug & Pint 

Nice & Sleazy

McSorleys

Maggie Mays (live bands but not sure what type of music altho i think its classed as a rock bar)

13th Note (again not sure what type of bands play there)

Stereo

The Glad Cafe

Bloc+

Blackfriars

The Howlin Wolf

The Scotia

The Admiral

Hope some of these help. These are all smaller venues that put on live bands but i'm not 100% sure what style they are putting on. You might be better googling each venue to get an idea or checkout their own FB pages for VID clips or pics. Failing that a wee band pub crawl on a Sat night might be fun.

All the best mate and hope it all works out.

Dave

Genesis tribute bands - four of them over a 10-12 year period. Some of the audience members can be a bit special. Mind you same goes for some of the band members 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, police squad said:

My Police tribute played a beach festival in Crete. Matala, where there are caves to explore. Joni Mitchell sang about them I think, or it might have been Janis Joplin.

We played to thousands of people, it was just incredible

Then, one night, we played in Worcester at The Marrs Bar. 7,  yes, 7 people came to see us. They got the full show. 

Crowd.jpg

Sting4.jpg

Matala1.jpg

A few years ago, we had the opportunity to play at Rhodes Rock in Lindos with our Free tribute band, unfortunately we had to turn it down, as our guitarist was a teacher and he couldn’t get the time off in term time ☹️

Image may contain: 2 people, people dancing and night

What feels like a life time ago now. Some fun times doing these gigs... Jerry Scheff taught me a thing or two about bass lines!

• Like 1

@steantval getting jealous about  your Free tribute band. I've love to do that, I'm surprised (and pleased at humanity's good taste) that there was enough of an audience for it. I'd do one of them in a shot. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, toneknob said:

Some of the audience members can be a bit special. Mind you same goes for some of the band members 

Amen to that!! Same with my old KISS tribute (fans and one or two band members) 😂😂

7 hours ago, cetera said:

@sprocketflup - you guys are SERIOUSLY good. I've seen you a couple of times now - Guildford Electric Theatre & Putney Half Moon (with Del Palmer) - and have been blown away both times! I'll be at the Half Moon in 3 weeks time too. I'll be sure to come and say Hi to you afterwards... :)

Oh, and if you ever need a dep - let me know! ;)

Aww, that's very kind, thank you :) Yes, please come over and say hi after the show.  As for dep, my dep's Del Palmer hahahaha

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

WOW that's like listening to Kate Bush and visually not far off either. Would love to see this band somewhere.

Make sure you come and say hi if you do mate :)

We up and over the border in early feb

• Like 1

4 hours ago, magee said:

Thanks Dave. I'm not mad keen to get into the tickets-on-the-door / actually promoting a paid-for night ourselves (which I think would be the Ivory Black's/Audio type set up) as that's really more admin and promoting work than I have time for. And I think that's likely to be profitable for the kinds of bands you mention, the ones that go the whole hog and put on a stage show and dress like the band and do it really seriously. That's a good market and I'm sure is profitable, and I admire the commitment of people doing it, but I'm looking at something smaller scale and more local than that. 

Interesting about Classic Grand and Hard Rock Cafe, though. But I imagine they'll be looking more for the full package to bring in the punters, but you never know. The Shed, oddly enough, puts on a lot of full-scale tribute band shows too. 

It may be that there just isn't much of a market for the more scaled-down approach we're taking. If all it ends up being is a dozen rehearsals with people who really know how to play Led Zep that's fine with me. 

Hey mate. I play in an acdc covers band and just played the Hard rock last Friday through Shock city productions. They have bands on there almost every Friday night. They looked after us well. Maybe give them a shout when you are up and running?

We don`t really look like the band: I gotta wear glasses as I can`t see my hand in front of my face without them and we have a female singer that doesn`t look a bit like Bon! We do have an Angus with a school uniform though! We concentrate more on creating the songs as the band played them. We used to do pubs where we sometimes died on our derrière but now do about 1 gig a month but they are more tailored to a target audience. We are supporting Brian Downeys Live and dangerous next month in Prestwick then playing Bonfest later on in the year up in Kirremuir.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sprocketflup said:

Make sure you come and say hi if you do mate :)

We up and over the border in early feb

Not gonna manage the gigs this time around as other commitments but will be keeping an eye out for you next time around. You should try the Motherwell Concert or Theatre hall next time up in Scotland. Large venues and many tribute bands playing their these days. Also Lanark Memorial Hall, Rutherglen Town Hall and Hamilton Town Hall are all good sized venues looking for good quality tribute bands 

• Thanks 1

I played in a Status Quo tribute band for 6 years. We had a blast and got to gig with John Coghlan's as Coghlan's Quo.  Biggest gig we did was a corporate gig in Dartford at a Pharma Company's 100th anniversary party. 5000 people giving it "Quo oh a ho ah."   Also played in a Wishbone Ash covers band back in the '70's. Didn't make the money back that I spent on gear,  did have a blast though.

image.png

Edited by Bassman Sam
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Bassman Sam said:

I played in a Status Quo tribute band for 6 years. We had a blast and got to gig with John Coghlan's as Coghlan's Quo.  Biggest gig we did was a corporate gig in Dartford at a Pharma Company's 100th anniversary party. 5000 people giving it "Quo oh a ho ah."   Also played in a Wishbone Ash covers band back in the '70's. Didn't make the money back that I spent on gear, have a blast though.

image.png

We had ex Status Quo drummer Jeff Rich in our Free tribute band and we also played support to a Wishbone Ash gig, snap, in a strange sort of way.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, steantval said:

We had ex Status Quo drummer Jeff Rich in our Free tribute band and we also played support to a Wishbone Ash gig, snap, in a strange sort of way.

I remember Jeff, cracking drummer. Small world.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, artisan said:

I absolutely love Magnum

Would love to see you guys sometime 

That's great - there seems to be plenty of Magnum fans out there (more than I imagined anyway). We be out gigging with a full set from June, with the first support gig on 30 March in Rotherham. I think that we will (hopefully) get around a bit, but mainly playing in the north of England and the midlands. 

If you want to keep track of us, the band is called 'A Storyteller's Night' and the website can be found at on https://www.storytellers-night.co.uk/ and of course you can find us on Facebook as well. There are a few clips from the (very) early rehearsals on the Facebook page.  

• Like 1

On 23/01/2019 at 16:27, troubadour said:

First band I was in just played Jam songs.

Unfortunately that was the early 80s before tribute bands had been invented.

In those days you were just copying and it was frowned upon!

First one I remember was a local Beatles tribute who seemed to attract quite a following & made it onto local TV - they weren't good though!

I googled them & found this - which sparked a long forgotten memory. The singer was sold his jacket by the late guitarist in my first band, who wore at my first ever gig in 1984 😂

1 minute ago, peteb said:

That's great - there seems to be plenty of Magnum fans out there (more than I imagined anyway). We be out gigging with a full set from June, with the first support gig on 30 March in Rotherham. I think that we will (hopefully) get around a bit, but mainly playing in the north of England and the midlands. 

If you want to keep track of us, the band is called 'A Storyteller's Night' and the website can be found at on https://www.storytellers-night.co.uk/ and of course you can find us on Facebook as well. There are a few clips from the (very) early rehearsals on the Facebook page.  

I'll come as long as you're gonna play Back to Earth 😀

• Like 1

6 hours ago, magee said:

@steantval getting jealous about  your Free tribute band. I've love to do that, I'm surprised (and pleased at humanity's good taste) that there was enough of an audience for it. I'd do one of them in a shot. 

A mate of mine in the North East deps a lot for a Free / Bad Company tribute up there. I keep telling him that could possibly be my ideal gig...! 

14 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I'll come as long as you're gonna play Back to Earth 😀

It's in the set...! 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, peteb said:

A mate of mine in the North East deps a lot for a Free / Bad Company tribute up there. I keep telling him that could possibly be my ideal gig...! 

The North East is a very good area for Free or Bad Company tribute bands, very strong following of both bands, they hold a Free Convention around the Newcastle area every year.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, MacDaddy said:

Have you heard of The Australian Pink Floyd Show? They are playing the Albert Hall during their next UK tour.

Bjorn Again, play Hammersmith Odeon, and Sheppard's Bush Empire, size gigs where they tour. 

I once lent Bjorn Again a bass - it came back covered in makeup! 

1 hour ago, BreadBin said:

Could have been worse, if you lent it to Sid Vicious, would have been covered in gob 😀

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BreadBin said:

The winner cakes it all?😞

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, peteb said:

Excellent hopefully I'll get to see you later in the year or who knows we may even meet at a festival or some such as I play in a black Sabbath covers band ( www.jacksabbath.co.uk )

• Like 1

18 hours ago, steantval said:

A few years ago, we had the opportunity to play at Rhodes Rock in Lindos with our Free tribute band, unfortunately we had to turn it down, as our guitarist was a teacher and he couldn’t get the time off in term time ☹️

what a shame,