Grassie

Your experiences of playing in a tribute band.

On 24/01/2019 at 11:06, stewblack said:

Did many years in a Specials tribute which was absolutely brilliant. Love the music, great musicians around me. Only downside was the drink and drugs. Lots of debauched tales I could tell but I shall respect the anonymity of the other guys in the group.

it's always "the other guys" ;)

• Haha 1

On 24/01/2019 at 15:37, dmccombe7 said:

Hug & Pint 

Nice & Sleazy

McSorleys

Maggie Mays (live bands but not sure what type of music altho i think its classed as a rock bar)

13th Note (again not sure what type of bands play there)

Stereo

The Glad Cafe

Bloc+

Blackfriars

The Howlin Wolf

The Scotia

The Admiral

Hope some of these help. These are all smaller venues that put on live bands but i'm not 100% sure what style they are putting on. You might be better googling each venue to get an idea or checkout their own FB pages for VID clips or pics. Failing that a wee band pub crawl on a Sat night might be fun.

All the best mate and hope it all works out.

Dave

Add Broadcast to the list. I was there recently at a tribute band night, with 3 bands. Next door to Nice & Sleazy.

I play in a Bowie Tribute with a female on lead vocals. We got to play at the Supersonic Club in Paris at the end of Jan! I love it and there's such a wealth of material to go at, with many of the songs having really good bass lines, it will be a long time before we get bored. We're playing a David Bowie Convention on 11th May in Derby, with the Maggie Ronson band and Jean Genie as the headliners

Edited by ricksterphil

On 22/01/2019 at 21:37, peteb said:

I’ve just joined a Magnum tribute band, which hasn’t done a gig yet but still getting a load of interest. Great players with an excellent singer and a keys player who has a bit of history with the original band (played / wrote on the singer’s first solo album), so all pretty exciting and can’t wait to start gigging. The main issue we’ve had so far seems to be to ensure that we avoid copyright issues with the merch / website, etc. We have had a few messages of support passed on from the main band (as well as advice on copyright), which is really good of them. It is a bit of a strange one for me as it was never a band that I really listened to and a bit of a bizarre thing to get a text message out of the blue asking me to join.

I have a couple of friends who were in a Foo Fighters tribute that did make decent money and years ago I was asked to join a U2 band that did really well, but I doubt that Magnum is a tribute that will make big money – it is probably a bit too much of a niche band for that – but still seems to have enough fans out there to be viable. Hopefully it will help to raise my profile again as well as get to play decent size gigs, so who knows where it might lead to? So far, it’s all good…

If you join the Magnum F/B group Al Barrow is a very active contributor and I`ve had quite a few interactions with him on there, seems a really decent bloke, if you ever played the north east I`d come watch you, I`m a fan!!

As an aside, i`ve just joined the UFO/Schenker tribute band Obsession and we are also in the rehearsal stage of things but we`ve several gigs lined up including the Rockers Reunited fest in Southport in November and we`ve our first gig coming up at Fibbers in York on the 27th April with Van Hailen.

Edited by DarkHeart
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, DarkHeart said:

If you join the Magnum F/B group Al Barrow is a very active contributor and I`ve had quite a few interactions with him on there, seems a really decent bloke, if you ever played the north east I`d come watch you, I`m a fan!!

As an aside, i`ve just joined the UFO/Schenker tribute band Obsession and we are also in the rehearsal stage of things but we`ve several gigs lined up including the Rockers Reunited fest in Southport in November and we`ve our first gig coming up at Fibbers in York on the 27th April with Van Hailen.

We have had a bit of contact with Al, who has helped us with a few copyright issues on merch, websites, etc. He does seem like a nice guy. We've also had some positive feedback from other members of Magnum, which is cool. 

No gigs booked in the north east yet, but I would imagine that we will get up there sooner or later. If you are interested, hit up the Facebook page, which will keep you notified of any gigs we have coming up. Who knows, we may end up on the same bill at some point?? 

I came to my Madness Tribute gig as guitarist depping on bass for my good mate, Gary (Cetera on here) as musically, he was a busy lad and in demand :)

Five years on, it's my main gig and luckily for me, the band have been mates for over 25 years and it's a lovely fit. However, whilst more a rock, pop and funk player, and as I've said, a guitarist, I've enjoyed this immensely. The songs are clever and fun and those Madness bass lines are a joy to play, as are ones by The Specials, The Beat, Selector etc

The punters like us and it might just be a genre of music that brings together people of different musical tastes. We've also played a festival,  down Denmark St, The Jazz Cafe, The 100 Club and The Dublin Castle with a member of Madness present (Lee Thompson, the sax player) and got the thumbs up rather than the finger!

http://cairoeast.co.uk/TrimmedCairoGig.mp4

I've also played in a Squeeze and Crowded House/Jellyfish tribute and that, too, was great fun and presented musical challenges.

I think the tribute scene is a healthy one and personally, that's where I think it's at, at the moment. Given some of the bands we're paying homage to are either disbanded or 'past their best', they work well. I've enjoyed a KISS tribute, Thin Lizzy ones and more recently, Cetera's rock anthems band, Leather and Lace, the fabulous Kate Bush tribute, Cloudbusting featuring one of our own (what a gig that was last week) and great Steely Dan tribute band called Stanley Dee. Particularly with the latter, I've seen Steely Dan the last few times and sadly, whilst a bit of a nostalgia trip, they didn't deliver for me. Stanley Dee and the long-running Nearly Dan, do.

I note there's some new boys on the block, a Police and Crowded House one doing the rounds and I look forward to seeing them.

Good luck with your outfits (in every sense)

Edited by Kebabkid
  • Thanks 1

On 23/01/2019 at 19:30, sprocketflup said:

Still with them yes, six years now, longest I've been with any band. All over the country, really enjoying it. In fact we've just released the dates for the first half of 2019 then over the water in the second half of the year. Bring 'em on! Thanks for the mention :)

Cloudbusting are great and we caught them last week at The Half Moon, Putney where they were in fine form. We also spoke to you after the gig, Dave and lovely to meet you @sprocketflup.

C'mon, how many people in a tribute band can say that their dep is the Real McCoy, in this case, Del Palmer!!

Edited by Rich
  • Like 3

On 19/02/2019 at 13:06, Kebabkid said:

Cloudbusting are great and we caught them last week at The Half Moon, Putney where they were in fine form. We also spoke to you after the gig, Dave and lovely to meet you @sprocketflup.

C'mon, how many people in a tribute band can say that their dep is the Real McCoy, in this case, Del Palmer!!

Cloudbusting, that is awesome, very high end tribute band.

What a buzz it must be to play in a band of that quality, total respect.

Edited by Rich
  • Like 3

On 19/02/2019 at 13:06, Kebabkid said:

Utterly brilliant. I have just booked a ticket for The Rescue Rooms gig in Nottingham....can't wait!

Edited by Rich
  • Like 1

I was going to go to the next Cloudbusting gig at the Rescue Rooms Ray, would have been nice to catch up. Unfortunately a gig I had coming up in Birmingham originally set for Apr 6th has been brought forward to March 30th which clashes so can't go now! Say hello to Dave from if he's in the bar after the gig, lovely bloke and great player.

• Like 3

Aww, feeling the love :)

Thanks all, was great to meet you  and Cetera Kebabkid, I'm jealous of your madness gig, awesome lines

KevB - booo! Where you playing that night then? Ill come see you ;) I'm sure we'll catch up again at some point

Raymondo - come over and say hi after the gig if you can mate :)

Steantval - you're right mate, its one heck of a buzz :)

• Like 1

Dave, I'm playing some pub in a rough part of Rowley Regis apparently. One of the guitarists set it up. From his description I'm practically expecting to be playing behind chicken wire. We've been told not to say anything like 'hello Birmingham' as it offends the local black country folk (who will mostly be carrying knives).

Just now, KevB said:

Dave, I'm playing some pub in a rough part of Rowley Regis apparently. One of the guitarists set it up. From his description I'm practically expecting to be playing behind chicken wire. We've been told not to say anything like 'hello Birmingham' as it offends the local black country folk (who will mostly be carrying knives).

That sounds exciting Kev, I might just forget about the ticket and come to watch you!😉

Or...…..

Maybe try to meet Dave at the bar🍺😜

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Raymondo said:

That sounds exciting Kev, I might just forget about the ticket and come to watch you!😉

Or...…..

Maybe try to meet Dave at the bar🍺😜

This is my neck of the woods, what's the name of the venue?

1 hour ago, Mercury Rising said:

This is my neck of the woods, what's the name of the venue?

Rowley Regis?   I don't know sorry. 

I know Kev and was just having a bit of banter. He's a nice guy, if you message him I am sure that he will let you know and be more than happy to chat if you go to the gig.

Cheers

Ray

It's no secret, just didn't want to divert the thread from it's original topic. It's the Brittania pub, never played it before. I'm happy for anyone that feels up to it to come along. We're just a pub rock band, nothing to get too excited about and this will be only be my 4th gig with them so still feeling my way in a bit. Happy to chat with any BC'ers that make themselves known. I don't think JTUK would show up though.😉

My brother was in an AC/DC Tribute band in South Wales, my greatest regret is never seeing him perform in shorts and school blazer...

All his current band were in respected tribute bands, but now they prefer playing (mostly non-obvious) covers and starting to do some of their own stuff.

10 hours ago, KevB said:

It's no secret, just didn't want to divert the thread from it's original topic. It's the Brittania pub, never played it before. I'm happy for anyone that feels up to it to come along. We're just a pub rock band, nothing to get too excited about and this will be only be my 4th gig with them so still feeling my way in a bit. Happy to chat with any BC'ers that make themselves known. I don't think JTUK would show up though.😉

I played there last October with the originals band. It isn't as if we have that many gigs, but I have no memory whatsoever of it, and I generally manage to remember something.

6 hours ago, tauzero said:

I played there last October with the originals band. It isn't as if we have that many gigs, but I have no memory whatsoever of it, and I generally manage to remember something.

WOW that must have been some gig for you. :laugh1:

First gig for the Magnum tribute band (A Storyteller’s Night) last night, supporting the excellent Backstreet Thunder in Rotherham.

All went really well: great crowd reaction, lots of positive comments (both from the audience on the night and on social media) and quite a few came specially to see us (some from as far away as South Wales and from Co Durham).

Clip of ‘How Far Jerusalem’, filmed by a student of the guitar player – a bit up close and personal but gives an idea of how it went…

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, peteb said:

First gig for the Magnum tribute band (A Storyteller’s Night) last night, supporting the excellent Backstreet Thunder in Rotherham.

All went really well: great crowd reaction, lots of positive comments (both from the audience on the night and on social media) and quite a few came specially to see us (some from as far away as South Wales and from Co Durham).

Clip of ‘How Far Jerusalem’, filmed by a student of the guitar player – a bit up close and personal but gives an idea of how it went…

Excellent well done. How do you feel about it. 

On ‎19‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 17:09, sprocketflup said:

Aww, feeling the love :)

Thanks all, was great to meet you  and Cetera Kebabkid, I'm jealous of your madness gig, awesome lines

KevB - booo! Where you playing that night then? Ill come see you ;) I'm sure we'll catch up again at some point

Raymondo - come over and say hi after the gig if you can mate :)

Steantval - you're right mate, its one heck of a buzz :)

I hope the gig went well. Unfortunately my Fibromyalgia did for me again and I was too knackered to make the gig...maybe next time😥