Why become a member? ×

Musicman Stingrays - Overrated ?

WHUFC BASS

12 minutes ago, drTStingray said:

I do have a problem with your assertion that there is a problem on this. I have no problem with either of my Specials getting the action I want - and it's pretty low. 

Now if you want ultra low you may need to either shim or change the saddle screws on the central saddles for the shorter version (apparently EBMM has supplied these to one or two people who have asked). The point is, apparently, that it's not possible to have saddle screws protruding through the tops of the saddles for user safety reasons, which seems perfectly reasonable. 

As I said my basses have acceptably low action without shimming or changing the saddle screws. 

The weak G string phenomena has never been replicated to my knowledge in any recording despite vociferous people having been asked to do so. As far as I'm concerned I could certainly replicate it, six feet in front of my speaker cabinet if I wanted to, but that is true of any bass guitar and particularly those renowned for G string dead spots in certain areas. 

For me, Stingrays do not have this issue unless I misuse the bass and amp EQ and of the ten I currently own I don't have any issue at all with this - but there again maybe my playing style, string choices, amp and EQ settings play a part. Perhaps my hearing is less bass heavy - who knows - there are so many variables. 

Go and take a look at the most recent thread over on the EB Forum which proves my point. I agree that you can have a problem with someones remarks if they are false, but if they are true then you have just got to accept it and move on. This kind of thing also proves that there is no uniformity in the manufacturing process at EB.

You mean the troll post which just alleges shoddy design. That person clearly didn't read the responses in that thread which explain the situation. Once again you're making suggestions about consistency of production without any basis in fact - I don't believe you've even played one of these basses - basic trolling in my view!! 

3 hours ago, skankdelvar said:

muiscmen aNd rikerbakers an fendr all suk big leage  best bas giutar evr is sqire afinnity percizion i got one it so good my brther Cody keeep steelig an hide IT in his room I get back is all out tune I tell mom but she not lssning jus drink mor beer I say Cody yu wait til Dad gt back from deployment he kik yor butt.

Fuk U, logo Nzis.

most super and wizard bas is gibson as any fule kno.......... 9_9

A 'Ray is probably the only "iconic" bass I've never owned, but I used a 1980 MM Sabre as main gigging bass for many years.  It did pretty much everything I'd want from an active bass, despite a weak-ish G and the 2 band EQ had the most extreme range I've encountered on any bass, so you had to be careful with it.    I stupidly sold it in the endless quest for the BSB (Better, Sexier Bass).  

Recently needing that sound again for a funk /disco band I've gone for a MiG Warwick LX Streamer Jazzman, that objectively outshines my old Sabre in every area - but somehow I just don't have that connection with it I had with the Sabre..... :scratch_one-s_head:

3 hours ago, skankdelvar said:

muiscmen aNd rikerbakers an fendr all suk big leage  best bas giutar evr is sqire afinnity percizion i got one it so good my brther Cody keeep steelig an hide IT in his room I get back is all out tune I tell mom but she not lssning jus drink mor beer I say Cody yu wait til Dad gt back from deployment he kik yor butt.

Fuk U, logo Nzis.

Literally LMFAO. 😁

2 hours ago, drTStingray said:

You mean the troll post which just alleges shoddy design. That person clearly didn't read the responses in that thread which explain the situation. Once again you're making suggestions about consistency of production without any basis in fact - I don't believe you've even played one of these basses - basic trolling in my view!! 

LOL........I don't think you know the true meaning of a troll, your'e just playing the troll card.

I rest my case!

Out of the 3 rays I had only 2 things I'm not too keen about them  1. their high freq. For some reason I don't really like them. But no problem as I seldom find myself boosting the highs no matter what bass I use. 2. their fret sizes. Too big for me.

But that's just me. For other people they are perfect! And I must admit they sound phenomenal on some well known records. So yeah...

Blimey, this all got a little heated 😟.

For my two-penneth I’m sure there may well be some technical truth in the quiet G, but I personally have never had an issue with it.

I have found MM quality to be superb and I’ve had a great many basses from various manufacturers (including a Wal which I loved, but I still had to take it to be shimmed due to insufficient break at the bridge). 

I’ve had (and still have some) a dozen EBMM basses in various guises with manufacture dates from 2004 to the new Stingray Special and they have all been top notch imho. They’re not everyones cup of tea but I think trying to label them as ‘poor quality’ is unwarranted and potentially very damaging. I’m sure there are many other manufacturers out there far more worthy of that kind of reputation.

Edited by Deedee
Typo
  • Like 5

I could have just pressed the backpage button and walked away from this thread but is there any reason why anyone has to defend or deride these basses?

They are what they are - a tool for us bass players to use. There are many tools out there, it's just a matter of picking the right one and if it doesn't suit then either modify it or try another.

I have 2 overrated basses that I enjoy. Neither were perfect for me initially but I made small, reversible modifications and now they suit me and my style of playing.

I said that I didn't like Foderas or Alembics but there's no need to defend these basses. The companies wouldn't be in existence if everyone thought the same way that I do. 

This isn't directed at anyone, just a general observation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 23/12/2018 at 19:17, WHUFC BASS said:

I've had two in the past, a late 80s with a maple neck and a 90s with rosewood fingerboard. Also recently had a Sterling Ray 34. All of them have had 3 band eqs. Most of the time I've got shot of them relatively quickly as they just haven't had the bottom end of other  basses I owned to the point where I'm wondering what the fuss is about them. I'll admit that they're good for slap basslines and finger or pick, just lacked the guts of other basses. Anyone else found this?

You've got balls of steel mate! 😂

• Haha 2

On 24/12/2018 at 10:44, WHUFC BASS said:

I tried them with a trace elliot stack, SWR Workman combo and a Trace Elliot GP7 1x15 combo. Just couldn't get the bottom end that was instantly available on my 62 reissue Precision and a Status S2 that I also had. In fact every other bass in my collection really. 

I think the bass control on Stingray's is voiced slightly differently than on the Status S2.  I have several Stingray's and a Status S2 and gig them all but I haven't found the bottom end to be lacking on any of my Ray's (4H 3 band EQ, Classic and a Special).  The signal from the S2 is hotter than from any other bass I've owned (all active) but that is easily addressed by increasing the input gain on my amp(s) when using another bass. 

On 24/12/2018 at 10:49, WHUFC BASS said:

That's something I kept telling myself that there's bound to be one that I'll get along with. The playability and feel was really nice, just sound wise it wasn't happening. I'd really not like to take a punt on another one as I know, for more or less the same price, a Spector Euro would run rings around a stingray 

It was the opposite for me when I owned a Stingray and a Spector Euro.  I preferred the sound I was getting from my Euro but I found the neck to be too chunky and uncomfortable so I eventually sold it and kept the Ray.  

Are Musicman Stingray's overrated? - I certainly don't think so but, like any bass, its obvious not everyone will feel the same way.  There have been some rather sweeping statements made on this thread about general build (design?) quality that don't match my experience, or that of other contributors.  Whilst the Stingray may not meet an individual's quality expectations it's not reasonable to state that there is a widespread issue when clearly not everyone shares the same view.

I have preferred using other basses to a Stingray due to personal preference at that time - my Status S2 was my 'go to' bass for 10 years until I got my Stingray Special.  At the end of the day, it's all subjective and good that we all like different gear.  

On 23/12/2018 at 19:17, WHUFC BASS said:

I've had two in the past, a late 80s with a maple neck and a 90s with rosewood fingerboard. Also recently had a Sterling Ray 34. All of them have had 3 band eqs. Most of the time I've got shot of them relatively quickly as they just haven't had the bottom end of other  basses I owned to the point where I'm wondering what the fuss is about them. I'll admit that they're good for slap basslines and finger or pick, just lacked the guts of other basses. Anyone else found this?

Nope. I play a Stingray >90% of the time. I find it has as much bottom end as I want and then some. I play ska, reggae, funk, mostly... but also some rock, and with heavy overdrive... all kinds. Never lacking. You can boost the lows on that thing enough to make windows rattle in Australia.

I enjoy how they can sound fat, but retain definition. I'm not a fan of whooly bass tones... Then again, I'm quite happy with a Precision too. 

I can understand how they may not have the tone some people prefer, and that's fine. But lacking bottom end? I really don't get it. I find them very well balanced in that respect, and the preamps are powerful enough to give you all kinds of tones. 

16 hours ago, skankdelvar said:

Fuk U, logo Nzis.

One of the more insightful comments hereabouts. Top marks Skank - you win this thread :)

On 23/12/2018 at 23:07, scannerman said:

Agree.... had my 3band stingray in my collection for a few years, great sound....but only ONE great sound. Great for slap, but  had more versatile basses for other styles. 

only ONE great sound?

User error surely ;)

(kidding, personal preferences and all that, I respect :) )

On 24/12/2018 at 13:20, Mudpup said:

The 3 band has a high pass filter built into the eq and it takes some of the booty out. The 2 band doesn't have it so sounds fatter, warmer and generally bigger. I've had both and prefer the 2 band personally.

Is that true??? That could explain a lot of those comments.

I have never played a 3-band (once, briefly, at a store), my experience somehow has only been with 2-band ones. My Stingray is 3-band only because I put a John East preamp in it, which is a classic 2-band module plus a semiparametric mids module... 

Edited by mcnach
  • Like 1

On 24/12/2018 at 13:46, No. 8 Wire said:

I love my Ray, when I only had one bass I used to use it for all styles without any issues.  I find mine (3 band) really sensitive to even slightly old strings, the tone just seems to die away instantly.  Although, weirdly I had TI flats on it for a while and it had a great tone with those, but sounded more Jazz like than Ray.

I've played a few 2 bands and really like the sound, but I'm never going to get another MM except possibly a 5 string - I feel like I'd miss the mid control.  I'm tempted to try out the East 4 knob preamp which according to the blurb sounds like a 2 band with the mids set flat.  Anyone tried out the East Pre next to a 2 band to see how close it is?

My 2002 Stingray was 2-band, and now has a John East 3-band in it (2-band plus mids module). I'd say the 2-band part is very very similar to the original, but a bit sweeter: the treble doesn't get so shrill if you overdo it, and the bottom end feels a bit tighter. But it's not radically different. I love the MMSR preamp. Go for it!

• Thanks 1

On 26/12/2018 at 01:07, drTStingray said:

Are you saying you walked out into the audience and heard this effect or are you relying on the sound on the stage 2 or 3 ft in front of your amp and speakers? If the latter, that's a common issue with bass guitars generally and particularly in a loud stage mix.

I would very much doubt it was lost in the front of house mix. 

It seems a bit... stubborn... to insist there is not an issue when so many people owning Stingrays (specifically 4 string ones) have mentioned they feel that.

I don't notice that in either of mine, so I would accept it may be a combination of factors (bass/pickup/preamp/chosen tone/amplifier) that does not affect me, but it clearly affects some people and they don't have that issue with other basses.

It gets tiring.

Cheers.

On 26/12/2018 at 21:41, RedVee said:

It is not always crazy low action as you say, its just low action which you can get on any Bass. And the only way to correct it is to add a shim which you should not have to do on a Bass that costs so much and is supposed to be the upmost in quality. The saddles are the problem here as previously mentioned. This is a big negative and a poor showing by Ernie Ball.

You seem confused about shims and what they indicate or not.

57 minutes ago, mcnach said:

Is that true??? That could explain a lot of those comments.

I have never played a 3-band (once, briefly, at a store), my experience somehow has only been with 2-band ones. My Stingray is 3-band only because I put a John East preamp in it, which is a classic 2-band module plus a semiparametric mids module... 

Yep, i seem to remember i bought an East MMSR from you a few years ago to turn a 3 band Stingray into a 2 band sounding one :-)
And it worked to a point - it gets you 90% of the way there. Not quite but as good as you'll get i think. TBH it makes it a more versatile bass with the sweepable mids. I moved the East equipped Ray on and still have a normal 2 band one - they still have a certain something baked into them.

• Like 1

I’m a shameless Stingray fan boy, love mine, although I do admit to tampering with them, not something to post on the EBMM forum but it goes something like this;

The blue one (was/is sunburst under the blue) and was pretty rough from head to toe when I got it but picked it up very cheap when I was in America. The pre amp was playing up so rather than get a genuine replacement part I went down the John East route, I can still get classic stingray tones out of it but with the added bonus of lots more of everything in all directions! 

While I was at it I changed the pickup for a Nordstrand BigMan. They are twice as thick as a standard one. The whole thing is very loud I’m constantly pulling it back. 

Loved it so much I did exactly the same thing to the cream one ! 

(All original parts are safely stored away just incace but as far as the blue one goes, SunBlue, it’s death do us part on that one!)

60B38595-54EE-4351-86A6-B0AC3D0EEA6A.jpeg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Mudpup said:

Yep, i seem to remember i bought an East MMSR from you a few years ago to turn a 3 band Stingray into a 2 band sounding one 🙂
And it worked to a point - it gets you 90% of the way there. Not quite but as good as you'll get i think. TBH it makes it a more versatile bass with the sweepable mids. I moved the East equipped Ray on and still have a normal 2 band one - they still have a certain something baked into them.

Oh, you did? I went crazy at one point with those preamps, and I had 6-7 Stingray-like basses at one point, all being modified... I can't remember where they all went :D

One thing I discovered is that if the pickup is wired in series rather than the usual parallel, it suits the 2EQ much better, for my liking. It's like the extra low mids punch fill in a little hole left in the preamp or something. I don't know, I like it a lot. My USA MM SUB is wired like that and I never missed the semiparametric mids on that one. So much so that I'm tempted to rewire my Stingray... Maybe one day...

1 hour ago, mcnach said:

Oh, you did? I went crazy at one point with those preamps, and I had 6-7 Stingray-like basses at one point, all being modified... I can't remember where they all went :D

One thing I discovered is that if the pickup is wired in series rather than the usual parallel, it suits the 2EQ much better, for my liking. It's like the extra low mids punch fill in a little hole left in the preamp or something. I don't know, I like it a lot. My USA MM SUB is wired like that and I never missed the semiparametric mids on that one. So much so that I'm tempted to rewire my Stingray... Maybe one day...

When I added the new pup to mine I added a three way toggle switch 

series/single/parallel 

works a treat ! 

• Like 1