Why become a member? ×

Gumtree and strange buyers.

ambient

I'm no stranger to selling items, both on here and via Gumtree. I am well aware of the potential risks, and generally advertise items as cash on collection only, especially where Gumtree is concerned.

I'm first to admit that I'm perhaps a little odd, but I do find other people strange and difficult to understand.

I'm selling a rather expensive pair of Genelec studio monitors. They're advertised as cash on collection from me only. That way the buyer can see them, and hear and test them before buying them, it also protects me from unscrupulous buyers paying with PayPal then claiming there's something wrong, getting their money back and hastily disappearing, which does happen. 

I had someone contact me, he's really interested in them but lives somewhere in Kent. After a few emails back and forth we agreed a price, he was going to collect them from me on Monday evening. He then decides not to do that, but he wants them posted and he'll pay the postage. Many more emails back and forth and I agree to post them, and he agrees to pay me by PayPal friends and family. I was going to send them via Royal Mail Special Delivery so they would be tracked, signed for and fully insured. 

Last night he sends me the delivery address, I send him my PayPal email. He doesn't pay me so I don't send them. Tonight I get an email asking if they've gone, erm no, you haven't paid me. His reply "Oh, OK, would you accept 50% now and the other 50% when you've sent them and given me the tracking number?". My reply......."Nope".

I genuinely don't think the guy's trying anything untoward, but you do seriously have to wonder. He really expects me to just post an expensive pair of monitors, bearing in mind he hasn't even paid the £50 postage yet!

I completely agree with the sentiment of the above replies
The guy has changed his mind several times already - he agreed a price, and agreed to collect. 
Stick to that, or no sale.

It may indeed be the case that he won't do anything "untoward" - but I wouldn't take that chance

He's trying something untoward. Never underestimate how thick some untowarders can be.

I once sold some expensive hi-fi gear via a magazine ad (pre internet). The guy turns up, we load the gear into his car. He hands me a bunch of twenties. I count them and they're way short. He hands me another bunch of twenties... still short. I'm a big guy, he's a little guy... I'm thinking of coming to "an accommodation" with him. He ends up emptying his pockets and the last few coppers come to the amount I asked for. I'm wondering whether I really want to sell my gear to the little creep, but I'm not sure if I can go through the pain again.

He says "can you let me off £20 for the petrol I've used". My expression says... no.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Trueno said:

He's trying something untoward. Never underestimate how thick some untowarders can be.

I once sold some expensive hi-fi gear via a magazine ad (pre internet). The guy turns up, we load the gear into his car. He hands me a bunch of twenties. I count them and they're way short. He hands me another bunch of twenties... still short. I'm a big guy, he's a little guy... I'm thinking of coming to "an accommodation" with him. He ends up emptying his pockets and the last few coppers come to the amount I asked for. I'm wondering whether I really want to sell my gear to the little creep, but I'm not sure if I can go through the pain again.

He says "can you let me off £20 for the petrol I've used". My expression says... no.

I think you're absolutely correct, my guess is he'd use either a hacked or unauthorised PayPal account.

I sent him a message last thing before bed last night telling him that it was collection only, he could spend as long as he wanted trying the monitors but payment was to be made in full before he could take them away.

Anyway, I then did a little research. He uses two names, that's not unusual I guess an artist name and a real name. The artist, or in this case producer/writer name is Jack Chicago, who according to his website, he actually sent me a link to this, lives in America.

I'm not going to get scammed, so I've repeated my previous message to him that it's cash on collection from me only.

• Like 1

I was once selling a zildjian ride cymbal on a drum forum, when an oddly named chap (Mr Cole Longway) contacted me, and in pidgin English described his preferred method of payment. Firstly, he would deposit £20,000 into my bank, and then, within five days, his "representative" would call to collect the cymbal, and his change. I had the cymbal on for £85

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I know a few guys in local classic car clubs who have been stung by the overseas bidder who will arrange collection, always paid by PayPal friends so perfectly safe*.One lost thousands and a car he had spent ten years restoring. I would rather not sell that risk it personally.

*other opinions may exist

Edited by T-Bay
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, T-Bay said:

I know a few guys in local classic car clubs who have been stung buy the overseas bidder who will arrange collection, always paid by PayPal friends so perfectly safe*.One lots thousands and a car he had spent ten years restoring. I would Father not sell that risk it personally.

*other opinions may exist

That's it, it could be a hacked account, stolen card or just an unauthorised account. Anyway, I've told him if he wants them then he'll have to come and collect them and pay cash, which is actually exactly what my advert says.

14 hours ago, mic mac moe said:

I recall when Loot was de rigeur of buying and selling. You may have a 30 mile drive but you always dealt in cash

This is how I still roll. The occasional bad description/nutter maybe, but all you risk is your time and a bit of fuel.

I am getting more reluctant to give out my full address much before the arranged time of collection when selling something too. Most buyers are friendly and just want to chat about themselves/ their band/ their instruments etc but have had the occasional dodgy type who I’ve wondered is casing the joint. Actually prefer meeting up somewhere or local delivery for this reason. Getting a bit paranoid in my old age perhaps😕

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, casapete said:

This is how I still roll. The occasional bad description/nutter maybe, but all you risk is your time and a bit of fuel.

I am getting more reluctant to give out my full address much before the arranged time of collection when selling something too. Most buyers are friendly and just want to chat about themselves/ their band/ their instruments etc but have had the occasional dodgy type who I’ve wondered is casing the joint. Actually prefer meeting up somewhere or local delivery for this reason. Getting a bit paranoid in my old age perhaps😕

Safety first, mate. I'd never heard of people doing the returns claim scam before. All this stuff is rife with the spread of the internet

8 hours ago, casapete said:

I had a guy buy an amp who was a decent chap but he "tested" it at full volume in a flat in the evening which I wasn't happy with and he had the most terrible BO. I had the windows wedged open for ages afterward to get rid of the stench. Also he talked and talked and talked... All the while I'm trying not to gag on the smell of his stale sweat. 

Meeting up somewhere public is way better if the item is non Electrical so doesn't need testing!

8 hours ago, casapete said:

I prefer to meet somewhere too, in this case he wanted to try them, which I understand.

I fully understand your caution, let’s face it, you’ve no idea who these people really are, they’ve just answered a Gumtree advert. It’s a not like this site or even Facebook where you have more of an idea of who they are from the way they’ve interacted with you in the past.

This guy was also messaging me through Facebook, but his profile didn’t look right, it looked fake; basically there was nothing there, there’s even less now because he’s disappeared from there.

It was an obvious scam.

The name he used on Facebook was Derek Pinkham, the name he was using on his Gumtree messages was Jack. He sent me links to a website and to a profile on various music production/songwriting sites, the profile name there was Jack Chicago. This is what set the alarm bells ringing for me; Jack Chicago lives in America.

If you advertise something and either Derek Pinkham or Jack Chicago contact you, then ignore them. 

22 hours ago, mic mac moe said:

I recall when Loot was de rigeur of buying and selling. You may have a 30 mile drive but you always dealt in cash

I still remember getting a train from Poulton to Wigan to pick up a 5 string Warwick Streamer for £250, dodgy meet in a train station to hand over a bunch of used notes for a tatty looking gigbag. Best return journey I've had as there was nobody else in the carriage and I got to play my new bass all the way home. Good times!

Edited by lemmywinks
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, lemmywinks said:

I still remember getting a train from Poulton to Wigan to pick up a 5 string Warwick Streamer for £250, dodgy meet in a train station to hand over a bunch of used notes for a dodgy looking gigbag - good times!

What was more exciting, the bass or the dangerous encounter, making sure the fuzz weren't following you, staying in the CCTV blindspots... ?