Why become a member? ×

Footie songs; the acceptable, the bland and the extremely irritating

I've really enjoyed all the matches I've see in this WC, and I've watched most and have been pleased to see a much transformed England side doing very well.  However, I've been less pleased to hear the dire Three Lions song doing the rounds one more time. I may be slightly prejudiced as I've never been a fan of Frank Skinner, David Baddiel or the Lightning Seeds but even that 'song' is less then at the sum of these three parts. Now I quite like World in Motion, the vocal contribution of the players making a New Order song half decent for once. So, which footie songs get you toe tapping and which make you want to bash your own brains in with a lumphammer?

Anything where they have to chant, Inger-laaaand. Which is pretty much all of them, well English ones anyway :)

I seem to recall liking a Scottish one with the bloke from Gregory's Girl singing. Early eighties. 

Talking of Gregory's Girl, Clare Grogan 😍

• Like 2

Friday's gig, we were on straight after the football. Three Lions was our opener, and it took the roof off the place 😎

It was purely mercenary, we'd only learnt it a Wednesdays rehearsal, but it did job of getting the audience immediately onside 😁

• Like 1

I'm Scottish and even I think the Three Lions is a great football song.

My choice for the 'least optimistic and most realistic' football song ever: 

Del Amitri: Don't Come Home Too Soon. 

Its 1998, Scotland have qualified for the World Cup and they are in the opening ceremony against the defending champions Brazil. Hopes are high after Scotland qualified in impressive fashion, finishing ahead of Sweden (who finished 3rd in 1994) in their group. Hopes are high to the point that some people think that Scotland might have a hope in hell of winning a game and maybe even getting out of the group (Norway and Morocco were the other teams in the group). The unofficial song, 500 miles by The Proclaimers whips the nation into a frenzy. Finally the SFA team up with Del Amitri to release the 'official' anthem, a complete dirge of song written from the perspective of 'usually we are rubbish but maybe this time we won't be really rubbish, but we probably will be'.

Including class lyrics like: 

'And I don't care what people say,
We can laugh it all away,                
But if I have a dream at all 
For once you won't be on that stupid plane'

Add that to the music video. featuring Colin Hendry doing some keepie-uppies in Prestwick Airport. That famous Nike advert with the Brazil team, this was not. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2T68AXsUAEI

• Like 1

Opened with the chorus before seguing into the usual stuff on Saturday. Rationale was we were bound to be asked to play it so we knocked out 16 bars to preempt any drunken punters! Worked a treat- great gig.

1 hour ago, pete.young said:

Back Home, 1970, is still the best.

Channeling my best Ron Manager, “Back Home; Esso coins, dad getting the petrol; Banks upset tum; Bonetti the cat; Uwe Seeler; broken dreams; best England team ever; jumpers for goalposts; hmmm, Wembley Trophy football...”

Yep, definitely Back Home! 

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Old Man Riva said:

Channeling my best Ron Manager, “Back Home; Esso coins, dad getting the petrol; Banks upset tum; Bonetti the cat; Uwe Seeler; broken dreams; best England team ever; jumpers for goalposts; hmmm, Wembley Trophy football...”

Yep, definitely Back Home! 

“Esso Coins”....I forgot about those....

👍

:lol:

3 minutes ago, upside downer said:

I like hearing Three Lions. Means we're still in the World Cup. I hope I hear it bursting forth from televisions, radios and jukeboxes well into Sunday evening and most of Monday too.

Don't think you will though. England have done well and congratulations are deserved but so far they haven't met any teams of the calibre of Croatia (when they're on form), Belgium and France , both on the form they've showed in the knockout phases. England don't yet have anyone quite of the class of Modric, de Bruyne or Mbappe.

1 hour ago, Barking Spiders said:

Don't think you will though. England have done well and congratulations are deserved but so far they haven't met any teams of the calibre of Croatia (when they're on form), Belgium and France , both on the form they've showed in the knockout phases. England don't yet have anyone quite of the class of Modric, de Bruyne or Mbappe.

But 30 (now 52) years of hurt never stopped me dreaming :P

1 hour ago, Barking Spiders said:

Or Messi. Or Ronaldo. Or Neymar. Remind me again, what happened to their teams?

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

Anyway, if the football coverage of the England matches is anything to go by, by far the most popular football song is God Save The Queen.

Now that's a proper dirge. Dull, fawning load of old toss.

• Like 1

Except that  Argentina , Portugal and Brazil sides were centred around their superstars. Neymar has shown he's no team player. Belgium and Croatia play like teams should. England have some real finds, in Macguire, Trippier and Pickford in particular. I'm sure many big sides will be whipping out their chequebooks for those boys. However, too many chances have gone missing in the last  few games that should've been buried. I'm thinking of Rashford's against Belgium and two by Sterling against Sweden. With one of them Sterling had Kane to his left in front of an open goal yet Sterling was fannying about trying to score himself.

1 hour ago, Rich said:

Now that's a proper dirge. Dull, fawning load of old toss.

Too true. God Save The Queen is a total pile of poop . The words are embarrassingly archaic and deferential and the tune is a funeral paced drone. By several thousand miles it's the worst national anthem of any major country. Two that are great are The Marsellaise and Russia's. Then again those countries had have a great tradition of top class composers.

Edited by Barking Spiders
typo changes