Why become a member? ×

Reuel's bass travel plan. (Shipping has now been paid for!)

Shockwave

I'm with Bilbo. Let's celebrate the return of the bass to it's righful owner. Berating Jake says more about those who need to keep on doing it than it does about Jake himself.

Judging people totally on their behaviour is often flawed in my experience.

I've met guys I've liked who've done far worse.

I don't expect you all to agree with this btw :)

Edited by GreeneKing

[quote name='BassManKev' post='339967' date='Nov 28 2008, 06:28 PM']...why?[/quote]

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='339953' date='Nov 28 2008, 06:11 PM']Berating Jake says more about those who need to keep on doing it than it does about Jake himself.[/quote]

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='339953' date='Nov 28 2008, 06:11 PM']Berating Jake says more about those who need to keep on doing it than it does about Jake himself.[/quote]

That sums it up for me. The subject has been more than flogged to death..

Hello all,

Crikey...this is my first post on this forum! Shame about the circumstances but....

Thank you all for your contributions to the shipping fund...you're all a jolly good bunch! :)
I personally can't believe how everyone across Basschat and the Warwick forum have pulled together on this - it really is a fantastic display of brotherhood.

As I type this the fund stands at £178 so we're well on the way to a super fast shipment to the Phillipines. Please feel free to contribute, if you haven't already, any spare will either go to charity or will go to Reule.

Thanks again,

Giles (Gman on Warwick forum)

I find it ironic how those who are most angry and riled up about the situation are also those who had the least to do with it.

Only one person here was at risk of losing 1400 pounds, and he's handled the whole thing very admirably. I'd like to think I'd handle it at least half as well, and I completely understand his point of view. Life is too short to bear grudges.

What I don't understand is how it has made some others of you so, so angry.

This is a happy ending, for once. Cheer the f**k up, and let it go.

Speaking from the point of one that was ripped off for £900 last year (found him and hes paying up or going to jail :) )

I was kinda the same as Reuel.... you feel mad but stupid for getting taken for granted....

As for the more vociferous ones.....

In my experience those that shout the loudest generally have the most to hide and are trying to divert attnetion from themselves...... :huh:

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='339792' date='Nov 28 2008, 04:14 PM']I was the Royal Marines youngest ever Troop Commander at 19 Bilbo.[/quote]

I suppose that's the red beret you're wearing that you got in the Marines then :)

I followed the first cry for help thread at work on a quiet nightshift and by the time I read it Monsieur Poirot (Shockwave) was well on the way to locating Jake. This is the first I have posted on the subject in any of the subsequent threads as anything I thought or would have said has been said.

I am only posting now to say how happy I am that this all got sorted out and now the bass is actually in friendly hands Incx can breathe a sigh of relief. I am sure that he had all but given up hope of ever seeing it in the flesh and was sure at one point he may have been on the verge of giving up. After his phonecall to the police when they couldnt understand him then told him they couldnt do a thing without an address.

Once again Rob you are the man and you deserve all the praise handed your way. Yours and others selfless detective work helped Incx to receive what is rightfully his. A proper heartwarming Christmas tale.

Now, who exactly would get the book/film royalties when this is written up?!

[quote name='The Burpster' post='339987' date='Nov 28 2008, 07:00 PM']Gman how much more do we need to be able to send it DHL ?[/quote]

Hi Chaps

Based on a box say 48 x 24 x 12inches, I can get it from UPS for £209.72, and insurance for £1400 will be £14.00, and I will happily throw that in for free. I have made that a pretty generous box size, so anything smaller will be less. I also have an account with them, so I can make the arrangements, pay it on my account (with a months credit), so I don't even have to pay for until end of January.

If this sounds okay let me know, this will be for a 2-3 day service, plus any extra for customs formalities in the Philippines, and I will even knock up some customs documents for it. Reuel will only need to pay any Customs Dues at his end. (I can even get those billed back to me if we feel up to paying it between us).

Let me know.

Steve

[quote name='The Burpster' post='339998' date='Nov 28 2008, 07:15 PM']Speaking from the point of one that was ripped off for £900 last year (found him and hes paying up or going to jail :) )

I was kinda the same as Reuel.... you feel mad but stupid for getting taken for granted....

As for the more vociferous ones.....

In my experience those that shout the loudest generally have the most to hide and are trying to divert attnetion from themselves...... :huh:[/quote]

Sorry,but that last line is the biggest pile of tripe I've read in a long time

I have NOTHING to hide,ask Shockwave,he's been to my house twice

Thinking about what has happened,the unmentionable one,creating more accounts and commenting on the Warwick forum,deleting his posts left right and centre,ignoring PM's from various people

Even at the very last stages it appears to me he was trying to scrub out his footprints,it was only when he realised people had found his address and there was the very real danger of the police knocking at his door,did he finally decide to part with the bass,which ceased to be his property as soon as Reule had paid for it,and to say "Sorry,I got into Debt" means NOTHING,when you are sitting on thousands of pounds worth of easily disposable bass gear (That He and not Reule own).

Theft is Theft,whatever the reason.

I see a LOT of people calling for the Gallows when someone nicks guitar or bass gear,myself included,so why does that change when the unmentionable one comes up with some lame bullshit excuse

In my view it just sends out the wrong message,I.E. Thieves are welcome on BC,just as long as you come up with an excuse and say sorry - but that is just my personal opinion,which in the grand scheme of things,actually counts for nothing,and this has all come from your last sentence

"In my experience those that shout the loudest generally have the most to hide and are trying to divert attnetion from themselves...... :huh:"

Like I said,I have nothing to hide :huh:

first of all, i've been following this and i think i made one post in the original thread.

rob - well done mate. id offer to buy you a pint like everyone else, but im not old enough to buy alcohol and you dont drink alcohol.

IncX - i bet you're thrilled that your bass is gonna be there so soon. i know i would be.

and a well done to everyone else involved. my respect for basschat as a community has really risen.

[quote name='BassManKev' post='339944' date='Nov 28 2008, 06:01 PM']his 2 usernames (that we know of) and his main ip can both be banned to at least give the message he is not welcome on here anymore.[/quote]

on a negative note -

i'd rather they didnt cos you can get around the username and IP, and so if jake did thatd be a whole new identity again, and i'd want to know if i'm buying from him.

id say we forgive jake. he should pay back the fund and then it should be done. i'm not saying forget the matter, i know this is gonna be in my mind whenever i buy from now on, we should all learn from this, and i know i'm not gonna trust jake again soon. but lets not be too hard on the guy, everyone does bad things (im not going to be foolish enough to call it a mistake, he knew what he was doing) sometimes, and provided IncX doesn't want to press charges or anything i for one am happy to let it drop.

I've just come across this story and was shacked, saddened and eventually happy at the outcome.

I've put a small contribution across to the shipping fund. Sorry I couldn't afford more.

It's a darn shame that one bassist has taken advantage of another, but deeply moving how other bassists can rally round and go out of their way to help resolve the situation.

Congratulaitons to all those involved in getting this bass to it's rightful owner. As others have said, what a warming Christmas story. :)

[quote name='LWTAIT' post='340087' date='Nov 28 2008, 09:47 PM']id say we forgive jake. he should pay back the fund and then it should be done.[/quote]

From what I can gather he hasn't made any mention of paying to ship the bass, now or in the future. If he does, I'll let the forum decide which one of my hats I should eat.