Why become a member? ×

Reuel's bass travel plan. (Shipping has now been paid for!)

Shockwave

[quote name='birdy' post='339797' date='Nov 28 2008, 04:18 PM']Disagree with this. By excusing his behaviour you are in essence validating it and saying its ok because of his age etc etc.

By all means forgive him but do not excuse him.

Just my opinion. I agree that berating him in public will not help anyone.

Steve[/quote]

I am doing neither, birdy. I have worked with some nasty, vicious criminals in my time and know about the worst excesses of people. Comensurate, court based sanctions is what I do when I am not playing bass. But I know that, however resourceful some of us are, there are others amongst us who, for reasons we do not know, cannot make sense of the world as easily and, as a result, get themselves in situations that they struggle with. So tBBC was the youngest Troop Commander at 19? I think that's fantastic. But I know other people who, at that age (and a damn sight older), cut themselves with knives or stub cigarettes out on their arms in order to help themselves get through the day.

We are all individuals trying to make our way in a world that throws different kinds of s*** at us all day. Sometimes we cope better than others. If we are lucky, we always cope. But sometimes, some of us don't. Understanding why people do bad things is potentially the first step to making them not do them again (sometimes they don't need to understand, they just need to stop doing them).

[quote name='IncX' post='339816' date='Nov 28 2008, 04:31 PM']so much man!

im so excited with it, that i actually dont think of Jake anymore.

so its kinda weird that some ppl think of him more than i do, when i was the one who got ripped off *lol*

i was also at fault... talking to rob helped me realized that... i was really careless with the transaction as well...

as for Jake... he has two lock threads worth of posts to read and get ideas of what he should do to sort of redeem himself more in the forums.

while i do not want anything to do with Jake anymore... i have to admit, it will really really impress me, if he did something like pay back gman, or donate a significant chunk of money to charity... if he does that, i would believe in his remorse and guilt... and i would gladly send him a card for christmas or something.[/quote]

Thats great news, every time you play that Bass you must think of the good stuff that went on to get it too you.

With all this provenance it must have increased the value of the Bass 10 fold! :)

[quote name='sixshooter' post='339825' date='Nov 28 2008, 04:36 PM']Thats great news, every time you play that Bass you must think of the good stuff that went on to get it too you.

With all this provenance it must have increased the value of the Bass 10 fold! :)[/quote]

i think that should be the case for Rob's Stingray 5 too! *lol*
-*-

that vampyre LTD is really sort of a legend in the warwick forums because everybody knows it ... they know it as "marcbass's bass and he is/was a warwick endorser" ... i thought of those when i got the bass, that "wow, ill be getting something that came from a warwick endorser."

never knew it could mean more than that...

[quote name='IncX' post='339833' date='Nov 28 2008, 04:42 PM']i think that should be the case for Rob's Stingray 5 too! *lol*
-*-

that vampyre LTD is really sort of a legend in the warwick forums because everybody knows it ... they know it as "marcbass's bass and he is/was a warwick endorser" ... i thought of those when i got the bass, that "wow, ill be getting something that came from a warwick endorser."

never knew it could mean more than that...[/quote]

I think that jakebass is actually more (in)famous than marcbass now....

now the bass is out of the pricks hands, now its alright for me to say exactly what i feel??

Ban him from this site, and never let the little sly c*** return. The prick was trapped by Rob and us on the forum, and thus made some pathetic sob story, which in fact didnt make any sense whatsoever, if it was tormenting him that much, why didnt he just send it?? Its not like he sold it twice....or did he?? If he was in debt, what difference would keeping the bass do if he had already been paid the money? Is there someone else without a warwick out there?? He is scum, and if it was me, much as i appreciate the vigilante work, i woulda had the book thrown at him. I have alot of respect for Reuel being so okay about it all, i know i would not have been the same.

But yeah, Ban him, and recommend that warwick forums do the same.

Edited by BassManKev

[quote name='dlloyd' post='339864' date='Nov 28 2008, 05:00 PM']I can think of a number of likely scenarios to explain (not necessarily excuse) the pattern of behaviour which caused this whole mess in the first place.

I think it's entirely likely Jake did not intend to deprive Reuel of his money and bass, and that he simply got into a situation he could not emotionally cope with. In which case he needs to get help... I've offered to give him some debt advice on the condition he's being genuine with us. He's sort of agreed to it, but needs to get back to me again.[/quote]

Exactly Explain NOT Excuse. I wish Jake all the help and support he can get if he genuinely needs it. My experience with nasty vicious criminals (I live in Brum so have met a few :-) ) is that most of them know exactly what they are doing.

I take on board what you said Bilbo and agree with some of it but I genuinely still feel that the reason society is as rude and violent as it is now is because we excuse people way too much. Maybe I am getting old and cynical :-)

Steve

[quote name='BassManKev' post='339879' date='Nov 28 2008, 05:08 PM']now the bass is out of the pricks hands, now its alright for me to say exactly what i feel??

Ban him from this site, and never let the little sly c*** return. The prick was trapped by Rob and us on the forum, and thus made some pathetic sob story, which in fact didnt make any sense whatsoever, if it was tormenting him that much, why didnt he just send it?? Its not like he sold it twice....or did he?? If he was in debt, what difference would keeping the bass do if he had already been paid the money? Is there someone else without a warwick out there?? He is scum, and if it was me, much as i appreciate the vigilante work, i woulda had the book thrown at him. I have alot of respect for Reuel being so okay about it all, i know i would not have been the same.

But yeah, Ban him, and recommend that warwick forums do the same.[/quote]

Kev, Have you ever thought of a career in counselling?

Steve

Due to the fact that others were better placed and situated to act swiftly I've taken quite a backseat on this episode of late but I've said this over on the Warwick forum and I'll air my views with regard to the latest feelings toward Jake... the main reason that I will do so now and didn't do a day or two ago is because the little tw*t no longer has Reule's property.

This is not meant to be a vitriolic attack on those people who have moderate/conservative views towards Jake and his situation nor a call to lynch/stone Jake but PLEASE don't look at this through 'rose-tinted glasses', Jake was quite prepared to make himself a common thief/criminal... period!

I've been in communication with Reule a fair bit on this episode both here and on the Warwick forum and for an individual to beg someone to drop a paypal claim, openly lie about sending the item, open new accounts to post on a thread that is about them in order to deflect the situation AND to go through systematically deleting old thread content in order that his location can be less easily established is pretty much indicative of BLATANT thievery!

Do not kid yourself, without the fantastic efforts of ALL concerned on the various forums (and off-forum) Jake would be sitting cuddling this bass and wondering how best to continue avoiding Reule getting the bass or money back. I'm certain Jake is feeling sorry for himself but from his actions I can assure you Jake was fully cognoscente of his actions even though he may not have embarked on this deal with the sole intention of scamming Reule.

This is drawing to a happy conclusion for Reule but it would appear that Jake will still walk away from this deal almost £150 better off than he could have imagined. The good nature and generosity of other people will be paying for the shipping NOT Jake and if he has managed to blow $3000 and have no collateral to show for it then I'm not going to dangle by my testes waiting for Jake to pay it back!

... just my thoughts as I sit here wishing Reule the best! :)

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='339788' date='Nov 28 2008, 04:10 PM']I want to donate but I can't use PayPal.[/quote]

+1. You can PM me an address and I'll post a tenner in to the fund.

I'll be in Philippines at the start of next year. If Reuel has any gigs in the Metro Manila area (I'll be based in Makati), he can drop me a PM, and I'll take some photos of his band, and the bass, in action for posting here.

A few people have asked me for a TLDR (too long didnt read) version of what happened so here it is! (from my point of view)

TLDR version.

A guy in the phillipenes bought a warwick off of jakebass 4 months ago and paid for it Via paypal. jake decided to keep the money and the bass. 4 months down the line buyer puts a help thread up on the warwick and BC boards. Turns out i used to talk to Jake alot before this happened. I had his email address and searched for his profilel on myspace, which was private. But it was there. I then searched for "jake brighton band bassist" on google and turned up with an old band of his called icebound which had Jakes profile in the top friends, I put two and two together.

I contacted numerous people that were in his old band, they clammed up and didnt tell me anything, I managed to find his phone number and address of his parents, At this point jake was really worried and came onto messenger to help sort out the whole problem, Obviously the pressure got too much for him and decided to send the bass.

Anyway, I managed to set up a meeting between steve norris and jake this morning, Where steve would pick up the bass and get it to Gman who is a moderator of the warwick forums, We have setup a fund which has more then enough in it to send the bass to the buyer in the phillipenes, Gman will then mail it to the buyer.

Currently Steve Norris has the bass and will be getting it to Gman within the next few days.

There are many things missing but thats the gist of it. There has been so much backing and filing on jakes part, I have had to ring many many people, get the police involved (But ultimately not use) call in favours, setup meetings, cajoule and encourage Jake to do the right thing etc. I am not the only person to have done things. Thanks to Gman from the Warwick Forums for doing other behind the scenes stuff involved in tracking down things, Steve Norris For picking the bass up from jake, the burpster for his sound advice. The people who helped donate to get the bass over to the phillipenes and people who invested their time into this.

Also a national newspaper has wanted to get involved, However i have declined, I dont want this going public to the nation beyond the boundaries of bassdom, To protect jakes identity and to prevent internet sales media scaremongering.

Im f***ing knackered, I just want this situation over! My fingers are falling off from all the typing!

-Rob.

Edited by Shockwave

[quote name='Shockwave' post='339900' date='Nov 28 2008, 05:20 PM']Im f***ing knackered, I just want this situation over! My fingers are falling off from all the typing![/quote]

You're a top bloke, Rob. And you deserve everyone's appreciation, a few pints, and a good kip.

[quote name='BassManKev' post='339879' date='Nov 28 2008, 05:08 PM']But yeah, Ban him, and recommend that warwick forums do the same.[/quote]

It can't be done Kev. We can ban his user name, and his IP (though this could possibly interfere with others access), but it's easy to get around both.

[quote name='BassManKev' post='339879' date='Nov 28 2008, 05:08 PM']now the bass is out of the pricks hands, now its alright for me to say exactly what i feel??

But yeah, Ban him, and recommend that warwick forums do the same.[/quote]

I must admit that i do agree.
And perhaps he might think how lucky he has been.
If he had been dealt with by the Police.
His Uni days might have come to an end.
Whats a bit of Forum abuse...F**K all if you are man enough to handle it.
And if you can not..You just dont go back.
I think he got off lightly - as most petty [ or nearly in this case ] thieves do.

The good thing is, he got his Bass.
A lot of folks are not so lucky.

Garry

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='Musky' post='339909' date='Nov 28 2008, 05:27 PM']It can't be done Kev. We can ban his user name, and his IP (though this could possibly interfere with others access), but it's easy to get around both.[/quote]
his 2 usernames (that we know of) and his main ip can both be banned to at least give the message he is not welcome on here anymore.

Simple advice to keep sellers safe? if its an expensive bass, get in the car or on a train and collect it, you should never buy a £1000+ bass wthout trying wherever possible anyways IMO

[quote name='BassManKev' post='339944' date='Nov 28 2008, 06:01 PM']Simple advice to keep sellers safe? if its an expensive bass, get in the car or on a train and collect it, you should never buy a £1000+ bass wthout trying wherever possible anyways IMO[/quote]

Or if using PayPal, or equivalent electronic means of transfer, fund the payment with a credit card and not cash/balance funds - the card provider then acts as a backup if the likes of PayPal prove useless in a dispute.