Why become a member? ×

Cheapest Acceptable Backup P?

thegummy

My main bass is a 50s Precision which I love but sometimes when I have a band practice after work I don't want to leave it in my car all day so I take along my Schecter J bass which is less precious/expensive.

No matter how much I try to not care about the tone, it always just annoys me because I just want it to sound like a P.

Any recommendations for the cheapest P bass that you'd actually find acceptable to play? I wouldn't want to go so cheap that it just felt bad but the sound doesn't have to be top notch as long as it sounds like a Precision.

Ive played Squier affinity basses that were actually well playing/sounding. The standard as mentioned above might be a bit better. Both can be very usefull as a cheap backup.

You can also look for something japanese like an old westone thunder/spectrum. These are generally good value for the moneyz.

And lets dont forget Yamaha RBX series. My experience is with the older ones; fine basses (though lack in character to my taste).

Edited by SurroundedByManatees
  • Like 1

Just now, ead said:

There's a Sue Ryder F/S at around £80 on here iirc.  These are well thought of.

I was just going to suggest that! :)

I've certainly gigged a Squier Affinity P (although I did change the pickups after a while...).

4 hours ago, gary mac said:

I set up and did some fret work on a customer's Squier Affinity P last week. I would have happily gigged it, once those works were completed.

How bad were the frets before you worked on them?

Unfortunately fretwork isn't something I can do.

Thanks for all the suggestions! Squier Affinity seems a popular choice and there's a very nice looking one. Going to check out the one on sale here.

2 hours ago, thegummy said:

Thanks for all the suggestions! Squier Affinity seems a popular choice and there's a very nice looking one. Going to check out the one on sale here

It's also worth bearing in mind that if you're not entirely sold on the tone, you could probably get a Tonerider or Wilkinson pickup to replace the stock P for south of £50 - just make sure the neck feels right!

The Squier Affinity Precisions, once set up nicely are very nice basses. If you like a big chunky neck however I`d recommend the Vintage Tony Butler Sig, really nice basses, and a real chunker of a maple neck.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, discreet said:

Buy a Harley Benton PB-50 from Thomann and put some decent flats on it. Sorted.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_pb_50_sb_vintage_series.htm

If you like P Bass necks, you'll love this.

You get Thomann's 3-Year Warranty and 30-Day Money-Back Guarantee, too...

They are great basses but the one I had had a very chubby neck or  real handful if you like. Not my cup of tea.

I had one of the even cheaper, HB PB 20 Standard bass, £85 delivered. It was a decent enough bass but changing the tuners and bridge made it a whole lot better for about £50. The wiring and pick up were ok.

I tried a Squier Affinity P Bass in GuitarGuitar Birmingham yesterday and was knocked out by it, so much so that I decided to buy it on the spot, as I’ve been looking for a cheap Precision beater for rowdy gigs and for my boy to use with his mates. Unfortunately their system was down so they couldn’t accept payments... PJ configuration, striking colour (Race Red) which might not be to everyone’s taste but I liked it; white and black also available. Slim neck too, somewhere between a P and a J.

I also own a J&D Vintage 1963 Precision (just a tad over £100 from DV247) which is excellent and a worthy back up bass. Mine’s currently on long term loan with my daughters band, I might get it back one day... (J&D instruments are amazing for the price, I regularly gig my J&D Jazz alongside my Fender Jazz Deluxe, I rate them highly).

4 hours ago, discreet said:

Buy a Harley Benton PB-50 from Thomann and put some decent flats on it. Sorted.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_pb_50_sb_vintage_series.htm

If you like P Bass necks, you'll love this.

You get Thomann's 3-Year Warranty and 30-Day Money-Back Guarantee, too...

Agreed, although their quality control has taken a dive. My recent purchase was pretty shoddy, if I’m honest. 

57 minutes ago, BrunoBass said:

I tried a Squier Affinity P Bass in GuitarGuitar Birmingham yesterday and was knocked out by it, so much so that I decided to buy it on the spot, as I’ve been looking for a cheap Precision beater for rowdy gigs and for my boy to use with his mates. Unfortunately their system was down so they couldn’t accept payments... PJ configuration, striking colour (Race Red) which might not be to everyone’s taste but I liked it; white and black also available. Slim neck too, somewhere between a P and a J.

I also own a J&D Vintage 1963 Precision (just a tad over £100 from DV247) which is excellent and a worthy back up bass. Mine’s currently on long term loan with my daughters band, I might get it back one day... (J&D instruments are amazing for the price, I regularly gig my J&D Jazz alongside my Fender Jazz Deluxe, I rate them highly).

The race red PJ is the one I like the look of!

The slim neck thing is a bit disappointing though, will need to try it out first.

9 hours ago, thegummy said:

How bad were the frets before you worked on them?

Unfortunately fretwork isn't something I can do.

Thanks for all the suggestions! Squier Affinity seems a popular choice and there's a very nice looking one. Going to check out the one on sale here.

They weren't actually that bad but to achieve the low action that was required, there were four or five that needed levelling off and then crowning.

7 hours ago, EliasMooseblaster said:

It's also worth bearing in mind that if you're not entirely sold on the tone, you could probably get a Tonerider or Wilkinson pickup to replace the stock P for south of £50 - just make sure the neck feels right!

Good call, the Tonerider pickups are great, they are very close to the Custom Shop 62 pickups that come in US Fenders. One of those and a KiOgon wiring loom, instant improvement in both quality parts and sound.