Why become a member? ×

Frustrations...

BrunoBass

4 hours ago, BrunoBass said:

Here’s an example. Our singer suggested Rebel Yell by Billy Idol. It’s not something I’d listen to at home granted, but I can see that it’s a proper shout along crowd pleaser which would go down a storm.

He dismissed it instantly because it’s ‘not his thing’. His most recent suggestion was a Chemical Brothers track I’d never heard of, which is basically just a groove. Perfect excuse for a pub full of up-for-it punters to go outside for a fag, and probably not return.

Ask him to 

a) stop being an eejit

b) pick the 5 songs he dislikes the least

c) stop being an eejit

If you have a good number of Facebook or Twitter followers ask them to vote on a handful of options? We did that quite successfully for a track we would play on Facebook live, so not quite to add to the setlist but it "engages" the fans and makes it clear to the band what people, the people who watch your band that is, want.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

If you have a good number of Facebook or Twitter followers ask them to vote on a handful of options? We did that quite successfully for a track we would play on Facebook live, so not quite to add to the setlist but it "engages" the fans and makes it clear to the band what people, the people who watch your band that is, want.

Good idea, worth a go.

Our drummer often complains that songs are boring for him, me too really, but our band rule to test songs is, bearing in mind our core audience is couples in their forties:

1) will people dance to it?

2) will people sing along to it?

A song has to pass both before it goes on the list. Even if it's the most simple plodding rhythm section exercise if the audience sing and dance we do it.

Successful covers bands play songs that people like singing to and dancing to, nothing too complicated, they are there to entertain the audience. Just because a member of the band doesn`t like a particular song doesn`t necessarily mean the band shouldn`t play it, in my old rock covers band we did Born To Be Wild. I`ve never been overkeen but the audience loved it, if it had bombed I wouldn`t have cared but it was one of the most liked songs we did, so it stayed.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, chris_b said:

+1

By definition a tribute band would usually stay true to the original but a cover band doesn't have to at all.

It all depends on what kind of cover bands you're playing I guess. Obviously there will always be a few tweaks to the original songs (like changing the key to suit the singers voice) but in my opinion a cover band should stay somewhat true to the original song. Unless you want to completely revamp it (do it reggae style) and in that case we're talking about a different type of cover band which isn't probably what we're talking about here.

Would I stay to watch a band play Rebel Yell......hell yeah, would I stay to watch a band doing a Chemical Brothers groove thing...err no, tell the drummer to go form a Chemical Brothers style groove band and tell him you will try and pop along to the one gig he gets a year, that's if you are not too busy gigging!

This is a common problem with many cover bands. Members seem to forget that it`s the entertainment game. I have left bands in the early rehearsal stages when members start wanting to play songs that very few people will have heard of. Playing popular songs that most people know is a pub covers band lifeblood. 

To the op. Your drummer would do my head in. I would either be looking to change him or would walk myself. Sounds like a right negative character, just what you don`t need in a band.

• Like 1

We play some unusual covers in The Wirebirds, and it's surprising how well they go down - several times we've had people thank us for playing stuff like Steppenwolf's 'The Pusher' and tell us they'd never heard it except in the movie (Easy Rider). I was not sure it was a good song to play at the average pub, but there's always a few who are singing along, having a great time. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

Successful covers bands play songs that people like singing to and dancing to, nothing too complicated, they are there to entertain the audience. Just because a member of the band doesn`t like a particular song doesn`t necessarily mean the band shouldn`t play it, in my old rock covers band we did Born To Be Wild. I`ve never been overkeen but the audience loved it, if it had bombed I wouldn`t have cared but it was one of the most liked songs we did, so it stayed.

You really can't go wrong with Born to be Wild, though Lozz! 

Had a similar situation in a kinda part-time band I'm in with some pals; we rehearsed a set of songs which at least three of the four of us really liked, mostly 70 and early 80s rock stuff, but after two or three gigs it became very apparent that we were the people enjoying it the most in the pub, and though we were the band we'd have loved back in the day, it's no longer back in the day. A swift re-evaluation of the setlist happened, and some more, erm, imaginative thinking brought us to a much better setlist that we enjoy AND won't clear the place apart from the four old blokes at the bar who remember Pat Travers... ¬¬

Me, I'll play anything that people like: I'm playing music, and being paid for the privilege... :D

Oh, and Sit Down is a floor-filler: who doesn't want to play to happy, punters singing their heads off? :D

• Like 1

I suppose it's a question of balance really. I've just been reading Greg Lake's autobiography. One of his principles was that the band should always perform "four for them and one for you". Four songs for the audience to every one for the band. That's a principle that goes out of the window in our band. It's basically whatever the band leader or guitarist fancies playing. We've recently added a few new songs that I really don't think are going to go down well with audiences. Long widdling guitar solos in what is basically ment to be a fun rock covers band. But some people just won't be told.

6 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

Our drummer often complains that songs are boring for him, me too really, but our band rule to test songs is, bearing in mind our core audience is couples in their forties:

1) will people dance to it?

2) will people sing along to it?

A song has to pass both before it goes on the list. Even if it's the most simple plodding rhythm section exercise if the audience sing and dance we do it.

Suggest Spirit of Radio by Rush, that should keep him busy or possibly show his failings.😀

Agree that each member of the band is only allowed 1 veto - 2 at most.  Hopefully it means they'll use it wisely.

My only veto is anything where Morrissey sang the original. That works well for me and I'll happily play anything else.xD

I wouldn't go home and listen to a single one of the songs we play in our covers set. My personal musical taste is completely removed from what would be acceptable in a pub at the weekend. 

If you play in a covers band you have to *get* that. You have to listen to the local, commercial radio stations and find out what people are listening to. If you can't do that then you're not the right person for a covers band. 

There are always technical considerations about what the singer can sing and other band members have the skill to play but that *rarely* is a real problem. 

Edited by thepurpleblob

You have to be ruthless really, if a song doesn't work it has to go even if every band member loves it. I've played with a few people who don't get that and it holds the band back, nothing worse than seeing a dance floor empty while the band are having a self indulgent moment. Realistically there's plenty of musical circumstances for people to play what suits or gratifies them but a party/function band ain't it.

• Like 1

Some good points from everyone, and it’s heartening that they all seem to be on the same page as me. 

I hate the song Seven Nation Army and it wouldn’t bother me if I never heard or played it ever again. But it’s in the set, because people like it and it goes down really well. Mind you, I’m not keen on Sex On Fire either, we don’t play it because it’s ‘cliche’ apparently. But we should, and I’d be happy to, because we get asked to play it at every gig we do.

21 minutes ago, BrunoBass said:

............Mind you, I’m not keen on Sex On Fire either, we don’t play it because it’s ‘cliche’ apparently. But we should, and I’d be happy to, because we get asked to play it at every gig we do.

Try this version

Always interesting choosing material - luckily our band has two gig types

A Function gig: Where we can make reasonable money, but all accept that we are being paid to entertain / provide / background music / Microphones for speeches / nice lighting - the material could be pretty dull, but we've learned to refresh it regularly and  further make the best of it by creating segues and medleys to cover instrument changes etc. - in reality this keeps us interested and a 'gig'  becomes more a show..

A Pub gig: Where the material is pretty much ABBA to Zappa we update and refresh material regularly, some songs go really well some that you'd expect to go really well, don't - you never can tell what works or not.

If covers or 'standards' are your bag, there are thousands of songs to interpret.

I've played in bands where i didn't pick any of the songs but the band was a style i wasn't really into. The songs were well liked by audience and to be honest i enjoyed playing them. I've also been in bands where i didn't pick the songs and were all within a specific genre ie heavy metal and after trying it for a few rehearsals decided it wasn't for me. I left that particular band. 

Think my point is that you either go along with the democratic vote  and play whatever the deciding vote says or you leave and find a band that suits what you want to do.

If the drummer thinks the songs are boring to play then he needs to move on and find a band or style of music that suits what he wants to do.

Compromise or form your own band where you dictate everything.

Dave

• Like 1

I would have a chat with the other band members. Do they feel the same? Are they prepared to seek out a new drummer?

If so then you can tell him nicely that as a band you would all prefer to do 'xyz' . Later on down the line when 'xyz' songs have been learnt and gigged to the point you all know what out of those is a keeper you may have a go at one or two of his ideas. Once the new stuff is seen to go down really well he may give up his suggestions all together and snap out of it.

If the toys are thrown out of the pram and it looks like being nice doesn't work, give him an ultimatum. Drop the bad vibes, get with what the rest of the band want to do and get on with it.

Chances are he will tell you to stick it. You can have that one awkward meeting in a pub somewhere. Appoint just one of you to do the talking and rest of you bite your lip and off it goes....."so , sorry man but we just don't want to play with you anymore. Hope you find a band that's more your thing. best of luck with it."  Everyone stand up shake hands with him and leave.

Get new drummer.

If the others don't feel as you do  then look for another band.

From personal experience this is the way forward. Nothing worse than that guy in the band that cant keep up, doesn't want to keep up, obviously belongs in another band cause they are so flipping miserable around yours, cant accept somethings just work and somethings even if you have put a lot of band time and effort in just dont, always argumentative, brings everyone down as soon as they enter the room,.......... it goes on. 

On 01/05/2018 at 14:02, No lust in Jazz said:

A Pub gig: Where the material is pretty much ABBA to Zappa we update and refresh material regularly, some songs go really well some that you'd expect to go really well, don't - you never can tell what works or not.

ABBA to ZAPPA............great name for a covers band!

• 2 weeks later...

Update on this.

I’ve asked for a meeting to get this sorted because it’s not going anywhere, and there’s clearly a crack forming between what I want to play and what the drummer and singer/guitarist want to play. Drummer is set in his ways and will not budge, while still suggesting Kasabian album tracks as viable additions to the set... (God how I detest Kadabian), whilst singer/guitarist is slightly more diplomatic but equally stubborn. They’re close friends, I joined them when their original bass player retired, so I think we have two factions forming, which will be hard to come back from. 

Ironically we had a cracking gig at the weekend, unfortunately intra band politics and attitudes mean that there probably won’t be many more, at least not with this band.

For a covers band to function well every member needs to 

Like a large part of the set 

Play some songs they might not be keen on but other members are, and maybe play one or two they really dislike 

in short every member needs to have some needs met and give a little also , without these 2 in each member it won't last 

Edited by lojo

Ultimately you've got to decide how much you are prepared to lose over things like this. The drummer is being a tit but you won't change him if he and the singer decide to stick together. Talk to the singer (who won't be happy about having a suggestion vetoed) about coming up with a solution, like having only a limited number of vetoes as suggested. People always say the band is a democracy but if it becomes obvious the singer won't challenge the drummer you know who is in charge. You've than got to decide if you are happy to go on in their band or to look elsewhere. This happened to me a few years back and their band are still gigging and I've spent a while in the wilderness. I'm not sure with hindsight that I'd make the same decision again.

The compromise we tried was to each suggest up to three songs, in a five piece that was 15 songs. We then put them into a survey and ranked them 1-15 totalled their scores and played the three most popular songs. Songs pretty much only get through if most of the band put them in the top five and no-one puts them bottom. Our 'band leader' didn't often get anything through and sulked so it didn't end well, but the rest of the band liked it as a system. We used Smart S urvey to do the ranking so it was anonymous https://www.smartsurvey.co.uk/