Why become a member? ×

Frustrations...

BrunoBass

3 hours ago, Phil Starr said:

You've than got to decide if you are happy to go on in their band or to look elsewhere. This happened to me a few years back and their band are still gigging and I've spent a while in the wilderness. I'm not sure with hindsight that I'd make the same decision again.

Very good point.

How about getting involved with another band, or two, then the one causing the frustration is less important to your life, and when you do play with them, you'll probably be relieved that there are none of the frustrations you get with the other bands! If you find both, or all three, bands suffer the same problems then it might be time to look at what they have in common!

18 hours ago, FinnDave said:

How about getting involved with another band, or two, then the one causing the frustration is less important to your life, and when you do play with them, you'll probably be relieved that there are none of the frustrations you get with the other bands! If you find both, or all three, bands suffer the same problems then it might be time to look at what they have in common!

Well I am in contact with another band, and my band is meeting tonight so let’s see how it goes. 

Maybe, as you imply, the problem is me. Perhaps so, but if wanting to entertain people is what I’m doing wrong, then there’s no point being in a band at all 🙂

I wasn't really implying that you are the problem, after all, I don't know you (even though we live in the same county!), but I do know some musicians who have a certain set of problems in a band, so join another, only to find that the same thing happens. After a while, it becomes apparent that they are causing the problem, not the different groups of people they play with.

To be quite honest, I only put that line at the end as a kind of tongue in cheek bit of humour, not to be taken seriously. Most other bass players I know are the most reliable members of their bands, a solid presence the others lean on and frequently take advantage of.

Good luck with the new band, I find that focussing on only one tends to magnify the importance of the problems within that band, having other musical outlets reduces the pressure.

4 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

I wasn't really implying that you are the problem, after all, I don't know you (even though we live in the same county!), but I do know some musicians who have a certain set of problems in a band, so join another, only to find that the same thing happens. After a while, it becomes apparent that they are causing the problem, not the different groups of people they play with.

To be quite honest, I only put that line at the end as a kind of tongue in cheek bit of humour, not to be taken seriously. Most other bass players I know are the most reliable members of their bands, a solid presence the others lean on and frequently take advantage of.

Good luck with the new band, I find that focussing on only one tends to magnify the importance of the problems within that band, having other musical outlets reduces the pressure.

Sorry I took it the wrong way Dave 🙂

I hardly have time for one band, let alone multiple bands! As I say, tonight is crunch time so let’s see if we can’t come to a resolution. 

2 minutes ago, BrunoBass said:

Sorry I took it the wrong way Dave 🙂

I hardly have time for one band, let alone multiple bands! As I say, tonight is crunch time so let’s see if we can’t come to a resolution. 

No worries, I don't really know the music scene in Banbury (I've gigged at a pub in Cropredy a few times, and a social club in Banbury once or twice) but it's  fair sized place so would expect there to be plenty of musos around