Why become a member? ×

Dual bass gigbags

TRBboy

Hi folks, 

Currently, i take two basses in hard cases to gigs, but I'm curious about these dual gigbags. Couple of questions really:

1) Does the design work in practice? Are they protective enough, and is there any risk of the basses damaging each other? Does anyone here have any experience with these gigbags?

2) Are there any decent ones that aren't horrifically expensive? There's no way I'm shelling out  £280 For a Mono one! 

Thanks guys. :D

I had one, can`t remember which make, was great, took two Precisions comfortably, neither could rattle against the other as two nicely separated compartments. Was a really decent bag, very strong & durable. But...............

I was just too weedy to carry it. Great idea, for the fit & strong. For me, a case in each hand works better.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

I had one, can`t remember which make, was great, took two Precisions comfortably, neither could rattle against the other as two nicely separated compartments. Was a really decent bag, very strong & durable. But...............

I was just too weedy to carry it. Great idea, for the fit & strong. For me, a case in each hand works better.

Interesting, thanks for the feedback Lozz!

There are quite a few out there if you look around.  I personally think the best one in terms of price/quality ratio is the Gator ProGo (£145 at Rich Tone, but may be cheaper elsewhere).  Build quality is top notch and it's quite light.

But I agree with Lozz: while they're a great idea in theory, in "real world" use they are actually quite cumbersome, and heavy to wear for any length of time.

Edited by walbassist

6 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

I always carry two hard cases in one hand. My good hand, the left one, as the right one's knackered. I just don't carry them at the same time!

I use Mono M80 double bags for 90% of my bass and electric gigs. I was lucky to get them secondhand when they were a lot cheaper than they are now, but they are absolutely excellent and still both in great condition after hundreds of gigs each. 

£280 is certainly not cheap, but I typically have at least £5k worth of instrument in them at any time (either my Dingwall Super P and Super J, or my Sadowsky and 1963 Strats). I won’t skimp out on protection for my babies. 

Edited by therealting

I used one (Die Hard branded) when I gigged with two Corts as they were about 6-7lb each, was no problem and the gigbag I used had a zip off backpack compartment too for keeping leads in. When I bought a much heavier gigging bass it became a bit cumbersome and inconvenient so stopped using it, so you're probably ok if you have two lightweight instruments. 

The Gator ProGo, while much cheaper than the mono equivalent is around 50% deeper, making it a lot more cumbersome. Very well made though.

For something much lighter and sleeker I can very highly recommend the MTD double gig bag. Whether you own an MTD bass or not, it’s a really good bag with better padding than most and good storage space.

7 hours ago, gary mac said:

My experience is the same as Lozz's. The level of protection was impressively good but I really struggled to lift it.

I think there’s probably something psychological about it but I’m having second thoughts about my Gator Pro Go as it does feel really heavy with two sub nine pound basses in it!  They are good bags though - plenty of protection, and much more convenient than laying a hard case on the floor to get your bass out if space is at a premium.  £135 from Amazon a few months ago, but I noticed the price goes up and down a bit.  

1 hour ago, TRBboy said:

Oooh, I've just been offered one of those?

I hope it's not the one I bought a couple hours ago... =D

I've looked into them and been meaning to get one for a while, they look pretty great but we'll see when it arrives.  Thomann had a good selection last time I looked, might be worth having a look if not just for research.

10 hours ago, TRBboy said:

Hi folks, 

Currently, i take two basses in hard cases to gigs, but I'm curious about these dual gigbags. Couple of questions really:

1) Does the design work in practice? Are they protective enough, and is there any risk of the basses damaging each other? Does anyone here have any experience with these gigbags?

2) Are there any decent ones that aren't horrifically expensive? There's no way I'm shelling out  £280 For a Mono one! 

Thanks guys. :D

I gave one away last week on here. It was a Gear4music one, only cost about £38 IIR. Seemed to offer good protection and wasn't too bulky as far as carrying via the hand strap, but too bulky and heavy for me to put on my shoulder. I only got it to keep two basses in storage but it ended up taking up more room than two separate bags.

I also used to have a Fender one that was nice but again, shoulder use was definitely not recommended, especially with that case as the metal U ring at the top would all but crack my collar bone. 

17 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

They are great, well padded, generous compartments, decent shower repellence, look really smart.

Defonitely a premium product, made in the Uk with great customer service.

i also have one of their DJ bags that I use for cables and stuff etc.

They're not actually... (not trying to be a Richard, but so as not to muddy the waters)

From the FAQs

8. Where are Fusion gig bags made?

It’s no secret that our Fusion gig bags are made in China

Edited by Misowaki

I've been using a double gigbag for about seven years now. It wasn't cheap by any means (it's an iGig) but it carries a couple of basses in safety as well as having three big pockets for carrying leads and anything else you might need on a gig. 

The one thing about it is that you really do not want to be carrying it about on your back with two basses - I did that once at a festival gig and nearly did myself a mischief! However, in a strange way that is another thing I like about it as it is too heavy for someone to quickly grab hold of and leg it, therefore deterring potential opportunistic thieves ...!