Why become a member? ×

PJB gear

Roger2611

Hi,

Any recommendations for Phil Jones Bass cabs, I need to change my company car later this year and the new Alfa Gulia is available if I want one, now my Octavia will swallow a 4x10 Mark Bass cab alongside a 1 x 15 Mark Bass cab, however, the Alfa will most certainly take neither without a fight and damage being done to the car so it is either case case of don't have the car or swap my bass cabs for something even more portable.....I really like the car and I hear good things about PJB gear but will it really emulate the Mark Bass rig with a couple of 5" speakers?

Rog

It depends which PJB you buy.

I used an M500 with an 8b [8x5] for about three years in three different bands playing in clubs and pubs and didnt have a problem keeping up. They have a very clear sound and project really well. I remember talking to another bass player who was amazed at how well it projected my ricky in fairly large hall somewhere near Crawley.

There are people who dont appear to get the sound they want but I dont have a problem, and I like a fairly old school tone. The m500 has a switchable 12 band graphiic and a parametric eq as well. Some of the other phill jones amps only have a 7 band [I think] graphic so maybe thats not for everyone.

Im not sure a 6x5 would have met my needs, but you also would have the option of a 4x5 combo and a 4 x5 extension, which I have been told also will keep up in a function band.

I also uses a bassman 100 with a 4x10 neo, and I wouldnt say thats much louder than the pjb.

If your travels bring you near portsmouth, give me a shoult and you can come and see mine,

I currently use a PJ300 powered cab with a Flightcase BG150 (I used to use either a Bass Buddy or Cub) as a head. My current Fiat 550X swallows these with ease, but I also used to comfortably get them into my old Mini Clubman. The gear fitted with the neo speakers is super light. I find the tone to be very 'honest' and not overly coloured in any particular way, they certainly reproduce what I'm playing, warts and all unfortunately :wacko:

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1503522177' post='3358958']
You won't get heard at all what with the Alfa not getting you to the gigs B)

Sorry, love Alfas really, just couldn't resist!
[/quote]

You could well be correct hence taking one as a company car so I don't have to meet the repair bills! To be honest I have heard nothing but good things about the new Gulia

Thanks for your suggestions guys, I will take a trip over to Bass Direct and give the cabs a spin, I will also have a looked at the Barefaced options, the trouble is the Gulia boot opening is a real post box affair, I am not even certain the PJB cabs would fit through the aperture so I may be wasting my time in considering the car at all

I agree with bumnote. PJB cabs are very clear sounding and project extremely well. They can take a bit of getting used to - you may feel the sound isn't "full" enough on stage (for "full", read dirty), but they are deceptive. I use two C4s and a 4B, which have all the weight I want and are clean - I was playing a pub gig the other weekend and someone told me he could hear the bass clearly about 100 yds down the road as he was approaching the venue. He suggested I back the volume off a little. Yet onstage, it didn't seem too loud. The cabs take a bit of driving, too - they are quite inefficient.

Edited by Dan Dare

Cheers for the comments guys, I will now give you a review of the new Alfa Gulia, you will all be thrilled to know that 2 Mark Bass 2x10 Traveller cabs will fit in the boot side by side....here ends the review as I think I have covered all the important bits now!

I use PJB C4 cabs, one or two depending on the gig... absolutely tiny but surprisingly loud and with plenty of low end to my ears... with any decent head and bass these little things sound great in most pub/club settings and should fit in even the smallest boot without much trouble :)

Coming at this the other way. I have an AI set up for double bass but it wasn't cutting it on electric /rock gigs so I bought a PJ 4x5 extension cab. Absolutely did the trick. I gig with Brendan O'Neil, Rory Gallagher's old drummer, and the AI PJ mix absolutely cuts it.