Why become a member? ×

Best combo for home practice?

PawelG

I want to have something to play around with at home. It's not going to be gigged at all. Not too many settings preferably, something to sound good with a P Bass. What should I be looking at? I don't know much about little amps...
Thank you kindly.

[quote name='bigsmokebass' timestamp='1502455132' post='3351585']
Ashdown do it for me and the Fender Rumble is a good call too! Small and light but good sounding amps.

What's your gig rig?
[/quote]
I don't gig yet but I play through Ashdown Toneman 300 Evo III and a Classic Ampeg 8x10 where we rehearse.

[quote name='PawelG' timestamp='1502455419' post='3351588']

I don't gig yet but I play through Ashdown Toneman 300 Evo III and a Classic Ampeg 8x10 where we rehearse.
[/quote]

I'd say if you're happy with the ashdown Sounds, take one home with you or the Fender is a good all round sound.

Oh yeah, I think I should point out - I am not too keen on Fender amps. I used to have 70's Bassman 100 with a 4x12 cab and that was great but it was ridiculously big. We fell in love just for a little while.

Roland Bass Cube 30 is a superb little amp.

one on ebay?

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Roland-Cube-Bass-30-Bass-Amplifier-10-inch-2-way-speaker-/222603964267?hash=item33d43aef6b:g:GbEAAOSwnsZZhhrx"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Roland-Cube-Bass-30-Bass-Amplifier-10-inch-2-way-speaker-/222603964267?hash=item33d43aef6b:g:GbEAAOSwnsZZhhrx[/url]

[quote name='Muppet' timestamp='1502462596' post='3351674']
Roland Bass Cube 30 is a superb little amp.

one on ebay?

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Roland-Cube-Bass-30-Bass-Amplifier-10-inch-2-way-speaker-/222603964267?hash=item33d43aef6b:g:GbEAAOSwnsZZhhrx"]http://www.ebay.co.u...bEAAOSwnsZZhhrx[/url]
[/quote]
I did like the idea of the Roland but it has way too many settings.

Fender Rumbles get my vote.

I gig with a 500 head, 1x12 and 1x15, and for home use, have a 40 combo.

It makes it easy to get my 'live' tone at home, at practice levels.

I've also noticed that the 'vintage' setting on these works far better with Fender basses. Handy as the OP plays a P. :)

[quote name='burno70' timestamp='1502468975' post='3351721']
Depends how spendy you want to be. After buying a Phil Jones Big Head I'm gassing for a Double Four.
[/quote]

Big +1 here. I missed out on one a little while ago and really regret not going for it. PJB make fantastic stuff. Although saying that, I've just acquired a Tecamp Puma 900 and so far have only played it through headphones - if it were practical to carry it around as a headphone amp it would knock the Big Head off the top spot! The tone shaping is so good.

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1502477177' post='3351776']
MarkBass Micromark 801 then, hardly any knobs and tiny....
[/quote]Definitely recommend this amp, I went from a Roland Cube to this, and it's so much better, minimal features just plug in and play, although it does have a headphone socket and an "aux in" so you can play mp3's and play along with them which is great for learning new songs, it's very compact being just over 10" square, and at 60 watts, it could be used for quiet gigs or accompanying acoustic acts etc.