Why become a member? ×

Fun at The Bass Cellar

doctor_of_the_bass

Well, I went in there yesterday and told them I wanted to try some lightweight cabs. Not to play through, just to pick up and see how heavy they were.

They had no problem with this and continued to talk among themselves. I wandered round, picking up cabs and putting them down again. Shortly thereafter, I made my excuses and left.

These gentlemen have been represented as curmudgeons and gobsh1tes. I think they're just bored.

Edited by skankdelvar

• 8 months later...

[quote]These gentlemen have been represented as curmudgeons and gobsh1tes. I think they're just bored.[/quote]

You'd be amazed at how common this affliction is, especially amongst the larger music stores - I wonder if it's somehow linked to the "don't play with the stock" policy so many seem to have? I remember my student days at Toys 'R' Us - all those lightsabers, and not a single Jedi to fight with! Kudos to the kid who eventually took me up on the offer :)

The quote about, to paraphrase, no business ever winning an argument with a customer is spot on. In retail you will live and die by your customer service, and the ability to generate and maintain that business - it doesn't take a genius to note that the value chain is largely dependent on you selling something!

Which is why this is so disappointing. I would be inclined to aim Bass Cellar at this thread. Someone there needs to see it.

I've worked in customer experience for a number of years, for a large insurance firm - and you will have instances where the experience doesn't work, for one reason or another; but you cannot tolerate people looking to sabotage the process. Whether he's bored, hates the company, stressed at home, or whatever.

If he turns out to own the place, more fool him. This is your brand value - see what it's worth!

[quote name='Gust0o' post='564887' date='Aug 10 2009, 12:55 PM']Which is why this is so disappointing. I would be inclined to aim Bass Cellar at this thread. Someone there needs to see it.[/quote]

By strange coincidence, I think they did, recently...

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=25829&view=findpost&p=563866"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&sho...st&p=563866[/url]

[quote name='Stag' post='320974' date='Nov 3 2008, 03:44 PM']Didnt think much of the other places I must say, although one down the road (Macaris?) were a fine bunch of chaps and let me try out what I fancied.[/quote]

Agreed. I bought my kit at Macari's and they were very friendly and helpful.

[quote]By strange coincidence, I think they did, recently...[/quote]

In typical noob-with-five-mins-before-a-meeting fashion, I'd missed that one - puzzling, very puzzling. You can understand some frustration on the behalf of the retailer, but there are much better approaches.

Good to see some signs of improvement, but you'd hope for more dialogue - starting that conversation is at the heart of every effective relationship.

Anyway, logging off from work...

[quote name='Rich' post='564900' date='Aug 10 2009, 01:02 PM']There were 126 of uz living in't WEM cab in't middle of road.[/quote]

ooh look et you with your WEM cabs, bloody nobility almost! When I was a lad all we got was an old second hand tea chest, a bent broomstick and a rope, an that was a 4th hand broken rope too. when rained we hid under tea chest

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='565202' date='Aug 10 2009, 05:43 PM']ooh look et you with your WEM cabs, bloody nobility almost! When I was a lad all we got was an old second hand tea chest, a bent broomstick and a rope, an that was a 4th hand broken rope too. when rained we hid under tea chest[/quote]
tea chest? we [i]dreamed [/i]of a tea chest... etc :)

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='565209' date='Aug 10 2009, 05:48 PM']tea chest? we [i]dreamed [/i]of a tea chest... etc :)[/quote]
dreaming? I s'pose that meant you got to sleep? gravel lie on and once a month we were allowed to nod off for an hour

• 1 year later...

I went into this "lovely" shop a few months ago with a nice stash of cash on me in the hope of walking out with a new Fender or pay half on a Rickenbacker (so you can probably guess my budget by now) but when I went in and asked if I could try the Rickenbacker with a view to buying it, I was met with a look like I'd just walked in covered in bloodk and asking if I could take the innocence of a 9 year old child!
That's not where it ends... After they said no about that, I asked if I could try out the other bass I was looking at, a Fender Precision Standard and guess what... I WAS TOLD NO YET AGAIN! So after calling the guy a w***er and telling him I'd never go back there again, I walked out and went into Wunjos and had a good chat with the guy in there as well as trying out a 70's Fender P which did things to me that no woman could do! haha

Morale of the story? I hope Bass Cellar goes bankrupt! Bass Chat should take it over and start selling there :)

[quote name='StevieD_FenderP2009' post='1070744' date='Dec 28 2010, 08:34 AM']I went into this "lovely" shop a few months ago with a nice stash of cash on me in the hope of walking out with a new Fender or pay half on a Rickenbacker (so you can probably guess my budget by now) but when I went in and asked if I could try the Rickenbacker with a view to buying it, I was met with a look like I'd just walked in covered in bloodk and asking if I could take the innocence of a 9 year old child!
That's not where it ends... After they said no about that, I asked if I could try out the other bass I was looking at, a Fender Precision Standard and guess what... I WAS TOLD NO YET AGAIN! So after calling the guy a w***er and telling him I'd never go back there again, I walked out and went into Wunjos and had a good chat with the guy in there as well as trying out a 70's Fender P which did things to me that no woman could do! haha

Morale of the story? I hope Bass Cellar goes bankrupt! Bass Chat should take it over and start selling there :)[/quote]

I've praised Wunjo a couple of times on here - he beats the rest of the street by a country mile. Also does very good honest deals on commission sales.

Sadly, Chris Bryant (on the corner of Charing Cross Road) has now stopped selling basses. He used to do a decent selection of the better low-price stuff ... MIM Fenders and Westfields, all new of course. Seems the competition was too great, and the margins too tight.

For bass, Wunjo's is definitely the best bet in Denmark Street, trailed by a distance by Macari's. The only other shop I'd recommend in the whole street is The PA Centre.

I was in there yesterday on a trip up to London.. Staff completely dis-interested, some poor noob with his parents trying to decide what rig to get for his yet to be formed function band and no-one trying to help.. very very poor...

Mark

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1070779' date='Dec 28 2010, 10:06 AM']Sadly, Chris Bryant (on the corner of Charing Cross Road) has now stopped selling basses. He used to do a decent selection of the better low-price stuff ... MIM Fenders and Westfields, all new of course. Seems the competition was too great, and the margins too tight.

For bass, Wunjo's is definitely the best bet in Denmark Street, trailed by a distance by Macari's. The only other shop I'd recommend in the whole street is The PA Centre.[/quote]

[quote name='markstuk' post='1070790' date='Dec 28 2010, 10:21 AM']I was in there yesterday on a trip up to London.. Staff completely dis-interested, some poor noob with his parents trying to decide what rig to get for his yet to be formed function band and no-one trying to help.. very very poor...

Mark[/quote]
Yeah, i'm fairly sure the PA centre is owned by the same lot as the bass cellar etc

The PA Centre used to be owned by the same mob, but it split away about five years ago and is now completely separate.

The guy who owns/runs it is part of the family that make Orange kit, which is why The PA Centre is the only Orange dealer in Denmark Street.

[quote name='Jigster' post='1070799' date='Dec 28 2010, 10:31 AM']...but people must be undeterred and [b]buying [/b]here otherwise they'd be long closed - rent can't be cheap[/quote]

For every bass player here on Basschat (who therefore knows the truth about The Bass Cellar) there's another 50 or 100 who have never heard of Basschat and who assume that The Bass Cellar in Denmark Street is absolutely THE place to buy their gear.

Another plus for Wunjo, i went in there and they had two p basses, a '63 and a '67. I explained i ahd no intention on buyin there and then as i didnt have 3K but i asked if i could try them both and they allowed me to. I spent 2 hours in that shop. 5 minutes on the '63 and the rest on the '67 :) But they were consistently polite for the whole time, and iv continued to go there first when im in london ever since.

As for shops in Denmark street, theres a new one on the far right hand side. They have a decent bass stock, when i went in there last month they had a '78 jazz and a gorgeous '64 p bass. V&R's stock was very thin on the ground though