Why become a member? ×

TOP THREE!

Cabal

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='315548' date='Oct 27 2008, 08:55 AM']If that's what's best for the song, then yes.. Maybe you don't quite get it after all?? :)[/quote]

I wouldn't for a minute consider myself among the virtuosi that help fill these forums, and [i]certainly[/i] not among the greats cited herein, but I don't believe that consigns me to the same department as Macca (according to some of you!). I make somewhat of a joke of it, yes, but my signature says it all for me.

A [b]really [/b]good bass player with great timing and, yes, groove, can be [b]completely[/b] invisible, and make the song sound brilliant.

For the majority of us, mostly popular music is what keeps us in work, whether pro or down at the Ferret and Radiator! Turn up, do the job, consistently and reliably, play complimentary and appropriate basslines to our fellow musicians, and get asked back to do it again...

I don't see that it makes much difference if thats you, me, macca or anyone else listed in this thread, so +100 to silverfoxnik!! :huh:

[quote name='alexclaber' post='315546' date='Oct 27 2008, 08:54 AM']Groove is not simply being funky. McCartney's timing is so solid and his control of note lengths spot on. The same kind of skill shown by the great country bass players.

Alex[/quote]

Or any sequencer= bad feel????

My top trio, today:
[list]
[*]Marcus Miller
[*]Michael Manring
[*]Alain Caron
[/list]
As for the guys who made me want to pick up the bass in the first place:
[list]
[*]Dave Steele (The Beat)
[*]Mark King
[*]Tony Butler
[/list]
As far as Macca is concerned... OK maybe not the flashest of players all the time, and yes perhaps there's a lot of root-five at times, but as has been said, why not if that's what fits the songs? (I can but add a +1 to MoJoKe's excellent point here: "[i]A [b]really[/b] good bass player with great timing and, yes, groove, can be [b]completely[/b] invisible, and make the song sound brilliant[/i]".) On the other hand, there are lovely melodic lines like Lady Madonna... cracking stuff. He may not be my personal choice as a big influence, but I can definitely understand if he is for some people.
Also... Sgt. Pepper's is 'unimaginative'? The birth of the concept album, '[i]unimaginative[/i]'? :)

[quote name='Rich' post='315730' date='Oct 27 2008, 12:51 PM']Sgt. Pepper's is 'unimaginative'? The birth of the concept album, '[i]unimaginative[/i]'? :)[/quote]

Surely most pieces of classical music are based upon concepts?

The four seasons, 1812 Overture, in fact most operas are based around a common story or thread running through a series of musical pieces?
:huh:

Don't get me wrong Im not a Beatles / McCartney basher, I just don't rate them and think as i originally stated their popularity is mostly nostalgic, and again this is my personal opinion. He is after all no Geddy Lee LOL!
:huh:

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...