Ewen vernal
Marcus Miller
Jaco
Jared Followill
Tony Butler
Pino
Victor Wooten

Edited by crag42

Ok so the vote is long since over... but as someone bumped the thread I felt like posting my opinions. ;)

1. John Entwistle - The Who
For me, John's lines are proof that bass doesn't have to be repetitive following the chords, or a mirror of the guitars. I know he's not the only one btw but he happens to be the one I look to.

2. Sean Yseult - White Zombie
Bit of a contrast, Sean shows that bass doesn't have to be like John Entwistle to be great. Thumping great rhythms that really shaped a band I loved. Plus she's a hottie. This is all subjective so I get to include her.

3. Pete Steele - Type O Negative
I love the moody basslines he writes. Plus it helps that by being the front man and main songwriter, they put out tracks where the bass is essentially the lead instrument.

So close...

4. Kim Nekroman - Nekromantix
Rockabilly/psychobilly is teh sh*t! I love that stuff and few are on par with Nekroman. Couldn't quite decide between him and Steele...

Edited by Eight

1. Geezer Butler - the reason I play bass

2. James Jameson - probably the most influential bass player of all time. Has influenced almost every player either directly or indirectly

3. John Entwistle - Was to rock what Jameson was to soul.

Honourable mentions to Jaco, Stanley Clarke, Pino Pallidino, Lemmy, Jack Bruce, Bruce Thomas, Roger Glover, John Paul Jones and Bernard Edwards.

There are no right and wrong answers to these top three things. They're all personal for everybody. Its pointless arguing who should and shouldn't be here so I'm just going to look with interest at who's influenced who.

• 1 year later...

In reverse order:

3: John Taylor (oops there goes my credibility)
2: Derek Forbes (original Simple Minds bassist - check out "Sons and Fascination" it's nothing like the AOR that they are more commonly known for)
1: Bernard Edwards (does that get me my credibility back?)

Edited by darkandrew