Why become a member? ×

TOP THREE!

Cabal

[quote name='Beedster' post='313390' date='Oct 23 2008, 10:35 PM']Jamerson, Zender, Flea. Boring and predictable now perhaps, but all of them were innovators and cool as f**k. Feel guilty about Entwhistle but, with the exception of one ot two bits of magic, he's just too complex for the majority of the songs. Whereas Flea's, Zender's and Jamerson's lines made the songs, Entwhistle's detracted from them, Great technician but not a great musician...
C[/quote]
Wow! That's pretty contentious Chris!!! :)

Didn't Entwhistle win that Melody Maker vote in 2000 as the most important / influential bassist of the 20th Century? Obviously, being a British, rock/indie focused magazine, Entwhistle was bound to gain prominence in that kind of Poll over someone like Jamerson for example.. But nonetheless, Entwhistle as a musician has to be viewed in the context of the era in which he played.. And in the early 1960's, what he was doing with the bass guitar was extraordinary! Besides that, I doubt there's any other bass player in the world who could have held their own in a band which had Keith Moon on drums and Townsend on guitar :huh:

Can't disagree with you about Jamerson who almost single-handedly created a bass playing vocabulary on his own.. But as I've said before many times on this Forum (and been shot down for it), to rate Zender as a innovator in bass playing history is way off the mark, fine a player as he is.

Bernard Edwards, Larry Graham & Bootsy have each had considerably more impact on the development of Funk/Soul/R&B bass playing than Zender, who is someone who's style owes a great deal to those three players I think.. Personally, I've never been a fan of the RHCPs or Flea, but I agree that he is an innovator and has had a huge influence.

Anyway, the bass players who have influenced my playing style more than any others are:

Bernard Edwards (Chic)
Leigh Gorman (BowWowWow)
James Jamerson (too many to mention..)

I'd also have to throw in a special mention for Dennis Dunaway (Alice Cooper), John Gustafson (Roxy Music), Trevor Bolder (David Bowie & The Spiders from Mars) and Paul McCartney all of whom I admire for different reasons...

[quote name='Beedster' post='313390' date='Oct 23 2008, 10:35 PM']Whereas Flea's, Zender's and Jamerson's lines made the songs, Entwhistle's detracted from them, Great technician but not a great musician...
C[/quote]
:)
His musicianship on 'who's Next' was behond the call of duty [IMHO]
I used to think the same. :huh:
But the more i listen to 'The making of Who's next'
He pinned it all together.

Garry

Edited by lowdown

Well these three don't seem to be winning in the popularity stakes :) but they are my top 3;

1) John Myung - Dream Theater
2) Dave Brown - Santana
3) John Patitucci

they have all (imho) got infectious groove & amazing technical abilities.

On Electric.....

Marcus Miller - Great tone,great groove,great technique,great composer....The man!!
Jaco Pastorius - Opened the door for everyone. Major influence and legend.
Will Lee - The ultimate session player.

On Acoustic.....

Paul Chambers - Swung so hard with Miles and Coltrane.
Ray Brown - Sweet tone, hard swinging,great intonation.
Christian Mcbride - Like a modern Ray Brown with added funk.

Special Mention to John Patitucci who's awesome on both electric and upright.

Don't get your panties in a twist, but I really couldn't care any less about Jaco/Stanley/Marcus etc.

Here's mine:
Geddy Lee (my inspiration when I started)
Mick Karn (kind of that 'WTF - and how - is he playing?' moment)
John Myung (kind of 'jeepers, when there's someone as good as this what's the point?' moment)

P

Ok, so time to hear it for the session guys, the busiest, and who's bass lines have been in the charts more than most:-

Pino Palladino - among many others [b]made[/b] the Paul Young sound IMHO
Herbie Flowers - too many to mention....
and cos I got soul, I'm also with the Duck Dunn fanclub!

Seen loads of names of bass players I love in the lists but I'll go for three who when I heard I just had to pick me bass up.
I think I only saw one mention of Macca.

Paul Mccartney is my fave as I never tire of listening to Abbey Road bass lines and I regularly try to play along with it.

Mani- some amazing playing on the stone roses (I think I wanna be adored was the first bass line I tried playing when I picked up bass). probably my fave bass line of his is on Primal Scream's Kill all hippies. filthy and full head nodding groove!

Kim Deal- really underrated- Most of my fave pixies songs have really memorable bass lines

Today my top three are...

1) Peter Cetera (Chicago)
2) Tiran Porter (Doobie Brothers)
3) Dee Murray (Elton John)

On any other day they may include:

Geddy Lee (Rush)
Phil Lynott (Thin Lizzy)
John Deacon (Queen)
James Jamerson (Motown)
Rutger Gunnarsson (Abba)
Joe Puerta (Ambrosia)
Jason Scheff (Chicago post 1986)
Kip Winger (Winger)
Gene Simmons (KISS)
Ross Valory (Journey)
Dave Hope (Kansas)
Chuck Panozzzo (Styx)
Chuck Rainey (sessions)
Guy Pratt (sessions.... and particularly 'Toy Matinee')
etc