Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

12 hours ago, Horizontalste said:

Cool looking venue that! 

Yes! One of the coolest venues in Madrid!

11 hours ago, Velarian said:

Looks like your guitarist might be wanting to muscle in on bass duties? Is that a Modern Vintage P-Bass on the right?

Hahaha. It is, but it belonged to the previous band.

11 hours ago, EJWW said:

A very, very cool looking bass that.

The current range need a rock and roll makeover IMO.

I agree. I also have a BB735 and, even though I love both finishes, I missed the old ones. Even the 23Xs have much more finishes.

• Like 1

On 17/10/2022 at 07:09, javi_bassist said:

I agree. I also have a BB735 and, even though I love both finishes, I missed the old ones. Even the 23Xs have much more finishes.

Yup - if anyone has a white BB2005 that is gathering dust and they want to move on, please give me a shout!

On 21/10/2022 at 21:01, gobasserk said:

Had some time to wait for a guy who wanted to buy a bass from me (and did so) and I noodled arround with my BB1000MA this afternoon.

It's just for fun, nothing serious! BB1000MA over an old Zoom B2 into a Zoom R8 recording device. Relax 🙂 

BB1000MA

Your musical ramblings are always a treat - thanks for sharing.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I see that there hasn't been a lot of activity on this thread lately so I thought I'd post a NBD here. I opened up another thread a few weeks ago about trying a Precision as I thought my BB424 could have been a little smoother, particularly when using the neck pickup. Then, at a rehearsal on Monday night, I was getting some really odd booming sounds when using the E string which I need to investigate further. So, as the Bass Gallery isn't too far from where I work, I dropped in to have a look at a BB1024 that they had advertised. 

Long story short, I came home with it. I already have a BB1025x but find that a little heavy for long rehearsal. So I had an idea of what this might sound like but I was really impressed nonetheless. The sound from this thing has weight and authority but also effortless smoothness. I do like my 424, honestly, but even after a half hour noodle at home, I'm already in love with the 1024. It just plays and sounds on another level. I did try the 2024 they had in, which was lovely, but the 1024 seems like the sweet spot for me. 

The shop set it up for me with Thomastik flats, and an incredibly low string height, but it still plays and sounds beautifully. Anyway, here's a quick picture. 

PXL_20221104_172859238.jpg

• Like 8

18 minutes ago, AdrianP said:

Thomastik flats, and an incredibly low string height, but it still plays and sounds beautifully

Very nice, congrats 👍, I’ve got a 1024 with labella LTF’s and setup with a really low action, they are quite a powerful bass and play really nice, I don’t play it enough as I tend to always pick up one of my jazzes , I must get it out tomorrow 

• Like 1

Disappointment!!

I have a clean BB615 which has issues with the relief on the neck - a concave bow which I can't do anything about. I'm looking for a replacement neck without luck (I managed to find one for a BBG5) so may end up parting this out. It would be an absolute shame to have to do so but AFAIK there is no reliable solution to the bow.

It's an otherwise beautiful bass😪😪

5 hours ago, TheGreek said:

Disappointment!!

I have a clean BB615 which has issues with the relief on the neck - a concave bow which I can't do anything about. I'm looking for a replacement neck without luck (I managed to find one for a BBG5) so may end up parting this out. It would be an absolute shame to have to do so but AFAIK there is no reliable solution to the bow.

Bass Gallery - heat treatment? Maybe worth giving them a call. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TheGreek said:

Disappointment!!

Hi mick, I’m no expert here btw but I did see a video once that said you can slacken off the truss rod and clamp the neck in the opposite direction to the bow, which would be in the backward position, and then try tightening it up again, I’m guessing it’s a 2 way rod ?, I’ll see if I can find the video, maybe start a thread for the experts to advise 

NBD: BB425x

Can I join your club? I picked up this BB425X about a month ago: it hadn’t been played for 5 years and needed a good set-up, a new tuner and volume pot and I swapped the switch for a centre-detented pot so I can blend the pickups. Oh, and put big black knobs on it! Sounds great with DR Hi-Beams strings fitted. I have already gigged with it and am very happy with how it sat in the mix and played. 

I have no idea how old it is though: serial number begins with HH - anyone here able to fill me in?

F8F88B65-6CA7-4EE0-B953-80CA1DA1888E.jpeg

Edited by matski
  • Like 6

So after my frustrating experience with a Sterling i'm going to do what i should have done in the 1st place and get me a BB Bass - i've been a yamaha bass fan since my 1st ever bass some 25years ago (an RBX 250 P bass thing that cost £150 new !!). 

but i'm torn and would love an opinion (i tried to look through the thread but with over 99999 pages to read through i ran out of brain power)
BB 1025  (2nd hand not the 1025X) or BB 735A

i appreciate they're quite different but 2nd hand they're both the same price so it's a tough choice.
I probably won't use the active circuit too much on the 735A but i guess it's nice to have it there, but the 1025 has a more rounded sound (vintage rather than modern) which has it's own appeal

thoughts?

thanks lowenders

Personally I'd have the 1025 over the 735.

I can't put my finger on it but they just feel like a better quality instrument. 

The only way I'd be choosing the 735 over the 1025 is if I had to have an active bass. 

I did actually sell my 1024 and bought a 732 for the reason of wanting an active, but I do have a 424, which I kept over the 1024 as I prefer the 424, just to add more confusion. 

To me the 1024 is a polite refined gent, the 424 is a gobby teenager and the 732 is, well just an active. 

That said they are all great basses, just depends what you're after.