Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

I can't put my finger on why I prefer older BBs versus the latest ones either.  I had a BB434 but I didn't keep it, it didn't give me the same feeling as my older BBs (300, 350F, 450, 614).  It's more than just the reverse P pickup (the 450 and 614 had the standard P pickup and it still felt like a BB), it's the body shape, the ergonomics, the aesthetics.  The new ones seem a bit streamlined and homogenised to me.  Can't explain it any better than that.

In my case, I have a 735 and it's an exceptional instrument. The 1025 is suppossed to be in a higher level, but I haven't tried any, so I don't know. I also have a 414 and it's incredibly good. I really love it. 

If I were you, I'd get the 1025. And I'd try the 735 in a store, just to see if you like it. 

I should also tell you that the 735 is not modern voiced at all. It is more neutral, more "p-bass" or "Fenderish". The 1025 has its own voice (which I like more), but it's something to take into account. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Maude said:

Personally I'd have the 1025 over the 735.

I can't put my finger on it but they just feel like a better quality instrument. 

The only way I'd be choosing the 735 over the 1025 is if I had to have an active bass. 

I did actually sell my 1024 and bought a 732 for the reason of wanting an active, but I do have a 424, which I kept over the 1024 as I prefer the 424, just to add more confusion. 

To me the 1024 is a polite refined gent, the 424 is a gobby teenager and the 732 is, well just an active. 

That said they are all great basses, just depends what you're after. 

Same here - I tried hard over two separate attempts to bond with a BB735A but it just didn't click tonally for me, despite being a fantastic piece of kit on paper and actually the same, in the end, with a BB NE2. The passive BBs I've had, have all been great. Obviously it's a personal thing but, for me, in order of preference would be my BB P35 (a little too heavy for me unfortunately), followed by a BB 1025 (loved this bass!) and a BB 425, which had a serious kick-ass punch.

Having said that, I've ended up with an active BB 2005 as one of just two "keeper" regular gigging basses - the other one being my Elrick Evo5 which I know it's heresy on this thread to say, would be my first choice but it's a lot more ££ than the BB 2005 so I'd kinda hope that it would be a step up. it would be gone from my herd if it wasn't! The BB 2005 is a great piece of kit and just a delight to "wear": I've not come across such a beautifully balanced bass with literally zero neck dive. Its weak point is its preamp, but I've plans to upgrade that (maybe to John East?) and I suspect at which point it will then be giving my Elrick a run for its money!

Edited by Al Krow

17 minutes ago, javi_bassist said:

In my case, I have a 735 and it's an exceptional instrument. The 1025 is suppossed to be in a higher level, but I haven't tried any, so I don't know. I also have a 414 and it's incredibly good. I really love it. 

If I were you, I'd get the 1025. And I'd try the 735 in a store, just to see if you like it. 

I should also tell you that the 735 is not modern voiced at all. It is more neutral, more "p-bass" or "Fenderish". The 1025 735 has its own voice (which I like more), but it's something to take into account. 

Fixed 😊

And that just goes to prove that we all have different tastes - wouldn't the world be a boring place if we didn't? 😁

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Maude said:

While you're here @Al Krow, put me down for a BB1100S fretless on the first page. 🙂

A wonderful thing it is too. 

Yeah for sure - it got enough "likes" didn't it? Haha!

Also added @AdrianP's @Tim2291's @briansbrew's and @matski's BBs to the wall of shame whilst I was at it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Yeah for sure - it got enough "likes" didn't it? Haha!

I think those likes are as much for Len Derby's help as much as the bass itself. 

It really is a lovely bass though, it sounds fantastic.

As @neepheidsays, there's just something about the earlier BBs. 

Edited by Maude

Ordered the BB1025 so i can join the BB owners group real soon :)

I tried a BB735A back when i bought my Eich T900 bass head - it felt great but paired with the Eich it was super clean.

The band i mostly play in play a lot of rock - and the BB1025 should in theory sit very nicely in the mix with a rock band.

i may down the line grab a 735A 

i defo think i'm going to stick to the BB range now - everyone one i've played from the budget ones to the P35 (i think that's what it's called) have been amazing to play from tone to just the feel of the instrument  -  so i think i'll stop looking at other brands for now (unless a sneaky lottery win comes in then i've got a couple of Warwicks i'd like haha)

thanks all

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, hookys6stringbass said:

I've been thinking of buying a spare Yamaha BB for when I'm feeling tooo precious about taking my vintage BBs out on the road. The recent chat about the 10 series has made think about the BB 1024... what do they go for these days on the second hand market 🤔??

How rough are we talking?  Would you not be better taking a 414 or a 424, if relative disposability is the goal?

37 minutes ago, neepheid said:

How rough are we talking?  Would you not be better taking a 414 or a 424, if relative disposability is the goal?

I've had the 414... t'was a good bass to be fair. I thought I'd go for the 1024 ... I played one ( and the 2024) when they came out and thought they were damn good basses .. but it was the extra pick up and the non reversed pick pups that put me off at the time... however... times change.

Edited by hookys6stringbass

1 minute ago, hookys6stringbass said:

Hmmmm so £650ish... would you guys say that was a fair price? I must admit I'm out of touch with the 10 series 

Thanks for your help.

It's probably an OK price for a shop.  Not much 1024 action on eBay recently - a white 1024X sold in October for £469 - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115566153584

• Like 1

Got my lovely, immaculate, caramel 1024 from Bassbros for £600 and that included a hard case and a fresh set of cobalt flats.

Don’t disregard the 414. Easy to find and the biggest bargain in the second hand bass world. I used to own a 424 but I’d pick a 414 every time, having tried both. Perfectly balanced, slimmer neck, lighter, same pickups. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, hookys6stringbass said:

I've had the 414... t'was a good bass to be fair. I thought I'd go for the 1024 ... I played one ( and the 2024) when they came out and thought they were damn good basses .. but it was the extra pick up and the non reversed pick pups that put me off at the time... however... times change.

Sorry missed this where you said you’d already had a 414.

A 1024 P pickup in a 414 would really be something. Such a perfect sound and one of the nicest places I’ve ever put my thumb. 

Edited by tom.android
  • Like 1