Why become a member? ×

This never ever gets boring.

bubinga5

Yeah man. I was in secondary school and forming ideas about what I really liked when this was released. Kenny Everett was giving stuffy old establishment types the hump on Capital Radio while all the other non-pirate jocks were playing it safe. In amongst the rough edged [s]punk[/s] pop of the time it stood tall. I was allowed to stay up and watch TOGWT at long last.

Being in my teens Mark's style was something to aspire to. Any time a mate got a cassette of Dire Straits we'd all go to the house with the best sound system and listen to it in full. Parents were actually tolerant of it. I suppose because it wasn't "Never Mind the Bollocks" they were grateful enough to get out of the way and let us crank it up high.

Five years later they released Love over Gold. I remember waking up in my rented accommodation after a nap during which the radio was on. The album version of Private Investigations was just starting. It was one of those surreal experiences that's stayed with me ever since.

Then it all went a bit silly for the rest of the eighties. I was even given a set of those awful leg warmers because my mum loved the TV series Fame. Argh.

I'm not sure if it was the first single released but it was certainly the one that I heard first.

Edited by SpondonBassed

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1488649721' post='3250806']
DS unfairly get a bad rap. Truth is, they're great songs, well played, and well produced.

Listen to stuff like 'It Never Rains' - pretty hard-hitting stuff.

I adore 'em.
[/quote]Agreed. FWIW I think Brothers in Arms is a cracking album regardless of all the 80's dross stick it gets.

[quote name='scalpy' timestamp='1488653916' post='3250858']
A friend of mine was given the opportunity to engineer Brothers in Arms, but he declined to work with McCartney instead. Turned out to be the Frog Song.
[/quote]

Ah..... hahahahahahahahaha! I'm so sorry. You wait though, it'll be hailed as a great work one day.

[hides]

Tunnel of Love is my all time DS song. The Spanish City was a stamping ground of mine in my youth and that song puts me back there every time I hear it. An the Hoppings, with the line "In the roar of dust and diesel" ahhhhh....magic times.

Saw them at the NEC I think sometime in the eighties. I do remember they were note perfect and the show was well engineered. One of my favorite groups with a great music catalogue that has stood the test of time.

I've worn out my vinyl copy of Love Over Gold. The long note at the beginning of Telegraph Road is enough to make my fur tingle. My copy has a little scratch and I've listened to it so much that if I hear TR on the radio without the clicking caused by the scratch, it doesn't sound quite right somehow. That track is 14 minutes of musical beauty.

Skateaway from Making Movies is one of my favourites.

Proper songs with emotive lyrics played by real musicians. Love them.

Apparently John Illsley used to live about 5 minutes from my house, but it was when I were a nipper so I never met him. And according to his Wiki page, John's middle name is Edward, which is popular in our house (my eldest lads name)!

Edited by planer

They raised a lot of money for soldiers who had PTSD that came back from the Falkland's War . I just wish there was more support for my friends that have come back and in real trouble.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azMRIHIyt1Y[/media]

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1488678995' post='3251034']
I once lost a job because the guy took the drummer and I out and got us pissed after the audition. I never took the whole Lennon vs McCartney thing very seriously, so when he started the conversation I said ,in my inebriated state, that The Frog Song was a work of genius and Lennon was a pretentious ****. He didn't see the funny side...
[/quote]

Ribbit!