Why become a member? ×

Old tech and formats

lojo

We are trying to decluter and get on top of our stuff , I'm amazed what's come up , so do you guys use stuff that's dated (I still use a tape deck) ?

I've got the following stuff that seems a shame to throw out ...

1 brand new used of Recordable Audio CDs
Box of mini discs
Roland 626 (forgot I had it will see if it works)
3 crates of cables , old chargers and leads of untold sorts
Box of Broken iPods , cameras , phones etc

What happens to it all ?

Edited by lojo

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1484589082' post='3216581']
We are trying to decluter and get on top of our stuff , I'm amazed what's come up , so do you guys use stuff that's dated (I still use a tape deck) ?

I've got the following stuff that seems a shame to throw out ...

1 brand new used of Recordable Audio CDs
Box of mini discs
Roland 626 (forgot I had it will see if it works)
3 crates of cables , old chargers and leads of untold sorts
Box of Broken iPods , cameras , phones etc

What happens to it all ?
[/quote]

I had a big clear out last year and got rid of the following, among other things:

Sony Umatic VCR
Sony HVC-4000 colour video camera (shoulder mounted!)
Garrard AP-76 record deck
Akai 4000DS reel-to-reel tape deck
various old modems
various old routers
various software packages on 3.5-inch discs (DOS, C compilers etc)
microcontroller development system/emulator
Tektronix 465 oscilloscope
various amateur radio items
5x PCs (not screens)
3x old mobile phones
loads of various cables
loads of books
loads of video tapes
loads of clothes

I couldn't be arsed to mess around selling them on ebay or gumtree and gave it all to a local hospice charity, which came and collected the whole lot. They can even reclaim tax on the money they raise by selling it.

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1484642118' post='3217008']
Ey thengew. I'm 'ere all week y'know!
[/quote]
[quote name='MacDaddy' timestamp='1484644780' post='3217035']
Get thee to the Bad Jokes thread! :lol:
[/quote]

Done!!

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1484595763' post='3216699']
Also any Apple kit if you still have all the packaging is worth selling even if it doesn't work.
[/quote]

I found an old wired remote for a 3rd gen iPod whilst clearing out last year. It was dirty, and had a small crack in the plastic of the plug. I photographed it, drew attention to the flaws, and put in on eBay for £5. It sold in two days!

It's allways worth to put it all for sale on e-bay/gumtree, there might be technicians the may buy even the broken gear for parts, and it's money going in to your pocket. The things that doesn't get sold should go to a electronics recycling bin, not the trash.

I tend to keep some old/broken gear in a box for parts, it's been very handy in the past to canibalise them for caps, switches, resistors, wirings, etc.

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1484591184' post='3216609']
I've just bought 3 rolls of Ilford XP2 black and white film.
Going to take my Nikon F4 on my Aberystwyth to Haarlem road trip this week.
[/quote]

I still shoot with film regularly, alongside digital. I develop my own negs too. I love Ilford, HP5 or FP4 for me 😊

I had a Boxing Day clear-out and found so much old junk. One was an old (OLD) Wacom Digitizer II drawing tablet which I got 2nd hand during university. I hadn't used it in years but I know it works, so I put it up on Freecycle. I couldn't be bothered with eBaying it as I knew I wouldn't get much, but I'd feel bad throwing it away, so rather see it go to a good home!

I'm currently putting together a 'device lab' for testing at work (I'm a web developer) and brought in a few of my old phones. Most didn't work, but at least the ones that do are getting some re-use!

Now if only I could bring myself to throw out my barely functional Windows Vista laptop from 2009...

Are you anywhere near Cambridgeshire? I rcycle old laptops & give the resultant good ones to local charitable things like mencap and the RNIB, both of whom have free software to give to people but generally no computers. Doesnt really matter if the computers are old so long as I can get a few working ones out of the donated ones.