Why become a member? ×

Martin McAloon (prefab sprout)

Twincam

• 3 years later...

Fabulous band, PM is one of the best songwriters of his generation and up there with any the UK has produced. I believe he and Martin are from Consett and PM still resides there.  I managed to see them live twice and they were outstanding, great songs that were impeccably well played. Martin was very much the surprise package on bass, simply fabulous. He and Neil Conti made a great rhythm section.  PM is still recording as Prefab Sprout although he plays and records all the instruments in his own studio in a controlled environment as he has severe hearing issues. 

• Like 4

• 4 months later...

Here's a bump - it's Paddy's birthday today. 

Martin is doing a nationwide solo tour in Oct/Nov performing his favourites from the Sprout catalogue (quite a lot to choose from). Paddy is still suffering from Meniere's I gather.

What a fantastic band....and Martin's a Stingray man no less :)

FsNixkCWAAIaOSW.jpeg

Edited by Cairobill
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

So many great songs from them.  A northern friend of mine turned down playing with PS in the very early days.  To this day he regrets his choice of accountancy over music.  Every time I hear the line  "Some things hurt more, much more than Cars and Girls", I am faced with my burning life question, what are these things that hurt much more than Cars and Girls?

• Like 1

Just now, 3below said:

So many great songs from them.  A northern friend of mine turned down playing with PS in the very early days.  To this day he regrets his choice of accountancy over music.  Every time I hear the line  "Some things hurt more, much more than Cars and Girls", I am faced with my burning life question, what are these things that hurt much more than Cars and Girls?

Standing barefoot on Lego.

Catching your old chap in your trouser zip.

umm…

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, Mickyk said:

out popped cookie

Always been a huge admirer of this band.

I always felt they did themselves no favours by deciding on such a silly name - I mean, most band names are pretty silly, but Prefab Sprout is on another level !

Anyway, never mind 'out popped cookie' - what I want to know is - who was Paddy's 'Tuppentup friend' ???  :sad:

Such a good band.

It's stating the obvious but their great strength was the songwriting. They put most other groups of their era to shame with just how clever they were, without ever being grandiose or pretentious.

I remember seeing Martin McAloon playing his sunburst Music Man Cutlass back in the day and thinking what a beautiful bass it was. It must have been brand new at the time. Nowadays my lust for that bass is tempered by the knowledge that it probably weighs a ton. I hope he's still got it, though, and will be playing it on tour.

Edited by Misdee

39 minutes ago, Old Horse Murphy said:

Love Prefab Sprout and Martin's playing. Appetite is (for me) such a great understated baseline, along with the outro of When Love Breaks Down. 

Yep  - his bass playing is very unusual. The bass is fundamental to how the music sounds; lots of interesting pedals/suspensions/inversions. They always were a cut above, the Sprouts.

And the early stuff is bonkers, in a very good way. Stingray ahoy...

Edited by Cairobill
  • Like 3

On 07/06/2023 at 19:37, Cairobill said:

Here's a bump - it's Paddy's birthday today. 

Martin is doing a nationwide solo tour in Oct/Nov performing his favourites from the Sprout catalogue (quite a lot to choose from). Paddy is still suffering from Meniere's I gather.

What a fantastic band....and Martin's a Stingray man no less :)

FsNixkCWAAIaOSW.jpeg

I'm seriously considering seeing Martin when he plays in lichfield in September but I'm just wondering what the band format will be because if it's just him on an acoustic guitar I'm not interested. I want to see and hear him on electric bass.

On 17/11/2016 at 16:38, Twincam said:

[quote name='mikel' timestamp='1479400210' post='3176276']

They are from Co Durham, hence the "Langley Park to Memphis" Album title.
[/quote]

Way off topic but I used to date a lass from Langley park. So the title sometimes makes me think off her.

Best Kebab really do the best kebabs there. Wendy lives in the street down from my parents in their village in northumberland in fact she told me my exhaust was falling off last month. She came to my mates 21st in the 90s wearing an amazing jacket with the crucifixion scene on the back. 

Edited by YouMa
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, EJWW said:

I'm seriously considering seeing Martin when he plays in lichfield in September but I'm just wondering what the band format will be because if it's just him on an acoustic guitar I'm not interested. I want to see and hear him on electric bass.

Pretty sure it's a solo performance so will be acoustic guitar...no full band or bass playing I expect.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, EJWW said:

I think I read somewhere in this thread that he has serious hearing issues. If that is the case, I can't see him performing with a band, sadly.

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, SICbass said:

I think I read somewhere in this thread that he has serious hearing issues. If that is the case, I can't see him performing with a band, sadly.

Errrr - no.

It's Paddy McAloon, his brother, the frontman and songwriter, who has the hearing issues, poor guy.