Why become a member? ×

Why the hate?

barneyg42

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1470939660' post='3109528']
If there HAS to be a fifth member, I'd like him/her to play the washboard.
[/quote]

... through a KORG SDD Digital Delay (i) > Korg SDD 3000 Digital Delay( ii) > Line 6 DM4 Pro > TC 2290 Digital Delay > TC 2290 Digital Delay > Line 6 Pod Pro > Korg A3 Multi Effects > TC 2290 Digital Delay (E) > TC 2290 Digital Delay (F) > KORG A3 Rack Multi Effects Unit > Eventide H3000 Harmonizer >Lexicon PCM80 Digital Effects Processor > Lexicon PCM70 Digital Effects Pro > Backline and DI
[color=#ffffe0].[/color]

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1470930755' post='3109443']

The bass is moving on at a frightening pace, IMO... guys who were vanguard 30 yrs ago probably can't keep up. That is not to say those guys don't still have valid and great careers but there are loads of new things of interest.
Strangely, ..considering another thread, one of the most timeless, IMO, is Jaco. That to me marks a true giant or great.

I'd add Larry Graham to that as well... he still sounds as funky as f*** and you just can't ignore him. :lol: IMO, of course.
And no, by today's standards, they aren't that technical, but what they have went beyond that anyway. Both DEFINED a style, I'd say.
[/quote]

Good points. Don't get me wrong, I'm very well aware that the new young bass players are smarter and a lot more technical than some of my heroes.

In defense of my heroes, they don't need to play 50 million notes at lighting speed to make a point.

Blue

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1470940378' post='3109537']

I'd have liked to see a theremin player, who went 'woooooOOOOoooooo' every time Bono approached the mic...
[/quote]

Or just a klaxon every time he started to come over all sanctimonious...

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1470940874' post='3109541']

In my view, Blue's problem is not his limited range of influences but his expectation that anyone of his age will have a similar limited range of influences. However, he's unavoidably at liberty to hold his view, as are you or indeed is anyone, but the price of expressing said position is that others may disagree or disapprove. Shocking maybe, but that's life. Please feel free to disagree or disapprove if you feel that my view is in any way inferior.
[/quote]

I think there are a few guys my age that are as selective as me in terms of who gets through the "influence" door. Not all but a few.

I'm a local guy and so fortunate to have enough work to get by without a proper traditional 9-5 job. I did that for 35 years.

I sincerely hope that other bass players my age are having as much fun as me. This is really a great time in any Rock musicians life to be out there and still active.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1470941240' post='3109546']
... through a KORG SDD Digital Delay (i) > Korg SDD 3000 Digital Delay( ii) > Line 6 DM4 Pro > TC 2290 Digital Delay > TC 2290 Digital Delay > Line 6 Pod Pro > Korg A3 Multi Effects > TC 2290 Digital Delay (E) > TC 2290 Digital Delay (F) > KORG A3 Rack Multi Effects Unit > Eventide H3000 Harmonizer >Lexicon PCM80 Digital Effects Processor > Lexicon PCM70 Digital Effects Pro > Backline and DI
[color=#ffffe0].[/color]
[/quote]
No, that's the signal path for the kazoo. The washboard's has four tubescreamers and a Mu-tron.

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1471009427' post='3109977']
Heeheehee. Careful now we might have to get Rolf Harris on tour with U2 plating the Stylophone! You'd see some haters then man.
[/quote]

Rolf Harris [url="http://lingodictionary.com/slang-definition/9745/slang-definition-of-plating"]plating[/url] a stylophone? I'd pay money to see that.

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1470954821' post='3109669']
No, that's the signal path for the kazoo. The washboard's has four tubescreamers and a Mu-tron.
[/quote]

Ah, you too have heard U2's unreleased 'acoustic' album:

Bono: Vocals, kazoo, jaw harp
Edge: Ukelele
Mullen: Washboard, castanets
Clayton: Inner-tube 'diddly bow'

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1471018187' post='3110062']
Rolf Harris [url="http://lingodictionary.com/slang-definition/9745/slang-definition-of-plating"]plating[/url] a stylophone? I'd pay money to see that.
[/quote]

BWHARHARHARHARHARHAR! Sorry about that folks.

When I looked up the slang definition behind "plating" (cheers Skankdelvar) I realised my understanding of the word fellatio was flawed. I always thought it was an antiquated term used in classical notation for the pink oboist.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1471018187' post='3110062']
...U2's unreleased 'acoustic' album...
[/quote]

U2 can't do an "unplugged" album. The sudden release of pressure when the cork is pulled from Bono's ego would flatten small children and animals for quite a distance! The safety elf wont have it, sorry.

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1471071109' post='3110299']
Be aware there are some people reading Basschat who like nothing better than to drop those named players a heads up.
[/quote]

Is this a name dropping name drop? :lol:

If you are reading this Adam feel free to drop me a pm and I'll get you up to speed on music stands, not in Milwaukee, TIM, just don't ask about TAB or five string basses!

Be aware there are some people reading Basschat who like nothing better than to drop those named players a heads up.
[/quote]

Thank you for your your advice. I'd edit my comment but that would make me a hypocrite.

Anyone wishing to "dob me in" can go right ahead. I spent part of my formative years living and working in Dublin when U2 were breaking. I'd love to meet Bono, he was something of an inspiration to us in the day and I am quite sure he has seen much worse than my little jab and taken it in good humour.

Sorry for any offence caused, none was not intended.

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1471073294' post='3110316']
Thank you for your your advice. I'd edit my comment but that would make me a hypocrite.

Anyone wishing to "dob me in" can go right ahead. I spent part of my formative years living and working in Dublin when U2 were breaking. I'd love to meet Bono, he was something of an inspiration to us in the day and I am quite sure he has seen much worse than my little jab and taken it in good humour.

Sorry for any offence caused, none was not intended.
[/quote]
My comment wasn't directed at you personally, more a general heads up. Point being that just because noone says anything at the time, doesn't mean that it wasn't resented and it does have knock on impacts for everyone else on here. Particularly if we want to get interesting players along to Bassbashes in the future.

I mean, is being nice THAT much of a challenge for some people on here?

FWIW, I've met plenty of pro players and, with one exception, they were all incredibly gracious. Stands to reason really, if they were assholes they wouldn't get gigs...apart from those who don't need gigs...

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1471072800' post='3110314']
Is this a name dropping name drop? :lol:
[/quote]
Mwah-haaaa! And you, Sah, dropped in a name dropping name drop...or something. :ph34r:

[/quote]

Can someone get in touch with Norman Watt-Roy and tell him he's my bass hero?

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1471068421' post='3110284']
BWHARHARHARHARHARHAR! Sorry about that folks.

When I looked up the slang definition behind "plating" (cheers Skankdelvar) I realised my understanding of the word fellatio was flawed.
[/quote]

That exposition be better served, it should be noted that the term is generally applied to an act conducted by a gentleman upon his lady friend, much as one might in comic exaggeration take one's dinner [u]plate[/u] in both hands, hold it before one's face and engage in close osculatory communion the better to consume any residual foodstuffs, e.g. runny egg yolk or pasta sauce.

I hope my clarification serves.

[b]Sidebar:[/b] Should Mr Adam Clayton be reading this post please be aware that your wife would like to know if you're going to be in there all day as she would like to avail herself of the facilities. That is all.

[/quote]

Sorry I read that as people reading Basschat who'd like nothing more than to drop those named players on their heads :yarr:

Edited by Delberthot

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1471104720' post='3110577']
Yeah, Mod forbid that an admin might falsely accuse a pro of displaying racism at a gig and despite in being only one man's word against another refuse to retract or clarify the matter.
[/quote]

What a stomach-turningly class-lacking post. Really, really low. :angry:

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1471104720' post='3110577']
Yeah, Mod forbid that an admin might falsely accuse a pro of displaying racism at a gig and despite in being only one man's word against another refuse to retract or clarify the matter.
[/quote]

:blink:

http://mysteriousways-mysteriousdistance.blogspot.co.uk/2015/11/adam-clayton-against-racism.html