Why become a member? ×

Why the hate?

barneyg42

Adam Clayton.........apparently talentless?
Mark King.......sounds like a bag of spanners?
Matt Bellamy......nods his head funny!!

Why so much hate for these and other players? It seems you have to be, oh say, Paul Turner, Pino or Jaco et al to get positive comments on here......or to avoid negative comments!
Now I'm not a U2 fan by any stretch of the imagination but what has Clayton done to earn such vitriol? I don't know if he writes or co writes the songs but he does just what is needed, what's wrong with that? Please someone tell me? This place cracks me up sometimes!!

[quote name='barneyg42' timestamp='1470733482' post='3107943']
Adam Clayton.........apparently talentless?
Mark King.......sounds like a bag of spanners?
Matt Bellamy......nods his head funny!!

Why so much hate for these and other players? It seems you have to be, oh say, Paul Turner, Pino or Jaco et al to get positive comments on here......or to avoid negative comments!
Now I'm not a U2 fan by any stretch of the imagination but what has Clayton done to earn such vitriol? I don't know if he writes or co writes the songs but he does just what is needed, what's wrong with that? Please someone tell me? This place cracks me up sometimes!!
[/quote]

Got any links? can't say as I've seen it - especially on BC.

Every bass player in the world will have their fans and their critics.

A truth I've noticed how many of the world's leading players have their "party pieces". Even Jaco, Billy Sheehan and Victor Wooten have their pieces that you'll hear many times over if you listen often enough.

I'm sure many of the bass players in many bands are the same. They will have licks that they've learned and use repeatedly with minor changes.

Half of being successful is luck, the other half is knowing the right people.

I once read of a bass player from a really successful band playing at a public jam. He was no better thanks any other average bassist.

Am I jealous? Yes. But I thank and respect them all.

Adam Clayton is guilty of playing really simple lines in a successful band.

Mark King is guilty of playing complicated lines in a successful band.

These things seem to annoy people. I don't know why. They both seem to fit beautifully into their bands.

Everyone is braver and louder and more forthright on the internet than they are in person.

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1470742660' post='3108045']
NancyJohnson described Adam Clayton as talentless about two days ago.
[/quote]

I have never been a fan of U2 or their music. However, as I see it..talentless or otherwise...Clayton plays what the music requires. Perhaps the criticism should be directed more towards the actual music itself. Playing complicated busy bass lines (assuming Clayton could..) to most of U2's material would sound ludicrous.

As for the hatred towards some bassists, I don't think it is hatred as such, just snobbery. The general thinking is that unless you can mesmerise people with flash playing and technique, you are not a good ("talentless" was the word used) bassist. There is room for both simplicity and complexity in bass playing. The "real" skill is in knowing what the song requires.

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1470746103' post='3108084']
I have never been a fan of U2 or their music. However, as I see it..talentless or otherwise...Clayton plays what the music requires. Perhaps the criticism should be directed more towards the actual music itself.
[/quote]

I'm game for that.

It's the old

"Ringo Starr is the best drummer in the world"
''He's not even the best drummer in the Beatles"

Thing.

They're both sort of uncool, but still massively successful.

I think also (apart from Bootsy Collins) they've had a huge amount of endorsements 'gear whore' if you will...

I know I'd like to make my living from being a bassist, selling millions of records, touring, and using my mush to sell loads of gear (while most likely getting loads of free stuff...) - I'm envious of them for that, but fair play.

Others would look upon that sort of thing and get a bit upset.

I suspect rather than these comments being malicious, it's all an easy default; just like the Ringo jokes.

Ringo was actually a great drummer.
Mark King is ridiculously gifted.
Adam Clayton is actually a great bassist, I often wonder why he's derided whereas Cliff Williams is revered...

Anyhow, I'm off to study some stuff - I want all the trappings of success but I still haven't found what I'm looking for.

For some reason, some people choose to word "I don't like Tommy Atkins or his music" as "Tommy Atkins is sh*t". Whether it's just a phraseology thing or a conviction that their opinion is The Only Correct One, I don't know. I used to get all defensive when it was aimed at someone I particularly liked, but these days I just treat it all as so much white noise (unless an ensuing argument gets to the stage where the mod hat has to go on).

It's all about psychology imo, people who like a musician can't understand why anyone else would deprive themselves of the same enjoyment missing the fact that the other person legitimately does not enjoy it, we see the "ignorant", "had to be there", "jealous" type posts slung at anyone that steps out of line, all nonsense I'm afraid for those of you that keep trying to hammer that home.

On the flip side the naysayers are seeing a strange position that the fan is putting themselves into often defending an artist as if they have some kind of input just because they bought a few records and go to live shows, I'd imagine getting far more upset than the artist themselves would, it's all very odd but it makes is human I suppose.

Fwiw I don't dig Jaco,Clayton or King.

Mr Tauzero, thanks for the namecheck! Don't forget to put your hand up and tell teacher they've forgotten to give us homework as well.

Aah, Mr Clayton. My nemesis.

As I've posted before, I don't think it's quite hate because that's something I would apply to root vegetables, moreover I simply don't like the guy and like his playing even less. You know, for the record, I met him just the once and he was thoroughly unpleasant, smug and arrogant. He just had this air of incredulity about him, akin to that of someone who had reached the giddy echelons of a given field without having a credible bone in their body to support where they'd got to. On the shoulders of giants. Which I suppose is where I came in.

We do live in a world where we have a degree of freewill and comes with that the ability to like and dislike things, people, places. We also seem to live in a world where it seems it's OK to heap praise on things but it's bad to castigate, unless it's Nigel Farage I suppose.

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1470748950' post='3108128']

You know, for the record, I met him just the once and he was thoroughly unpleasant, smug and arrogant. He just had this air of incredulity about him, akin to that of someone who had reached the giddy echelons of a given field without having a credible bone in their body to support where they'd got to.
[/quote]

I've met him 4 times and he was really friendly and totally unpretentious each time.