Why become a member? ×

Why the hate?

barneyg42

[quote name='barneyg42' timestamp='1470733482' post='3107943']
Adam Clayton.........apparently talentless?
Mark King.......sounds like a bag of spanners?
Matt Bellamy......nods his head funny!!

Why so much hate for these and other players? It seems you have to be, oh say, Paul Turner, Pino or Jaco et al to get positive comments on here......or to avoid negative comments!
Now I'm not a U2 fan by any stretch of the imagination but what has Clayton done to earn such vitriol? I don't know if he writes or co writes the songs but he does just what is needed, what's wrong with that? Please someone tell me? This place cracks me up sometimes!!
[/quote]

I don't think people need to justify why they like something or not. I agree sometimes it could be put a bit more tactful but we all like different things and it really just be taken as that.
For the record I've made jokes about Adam etc, but I much, much prefer his playing over the big names like Jaco, Wooten, Miller etc. I find those players very boring to listen to, although it's probably more the genre rather than the playing itself.
Hopefully that won't be questioned :-)

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1471068421' post='3110284']
BWHARHARHARHARHARHAR! Sorry about that folks.

When I looked up the slang definition behind "plating" (cheers Skankdelvar) I realised my understanding of the word fellatio was flawed. I always thought it was an antiquated term used in classical notation for the pink oboist.
[/quote]

Out of interest, it is a rhyming slang rough translationb of the Continental original: "plate of ham" = "gam(arouche"

But surely if its sounds good it is good, U2 have sold a few albums so I hear lol
Then it does not matter how its played or how simple it is.

It must sound good as the masses have spoken. Therefore it is good. Is he an all time great bassist probably not, but he hasn't half made a shitload of money, has fans and has many bassist talking about him.

Why doesn't Sting get the same stick? his bass parts in The Police were not exactly complicated.

Playing an instrument is all about making pretty patterns with music. Doesn't matter how you get there.

I'm very neutral btw I do like some u2 stuff other stuff of there's I find tottaly uninspired. Adam Clayton doesn't seem to bad a bloke I like his sig jazz.

Funny enough I think the bass is one of the better things about the U2 sound , it's the singer that puts me off, there's a few lines that are completely recognisable by non muso types

Also I've just booked to see Level 42 , only to read on here he can't play ? Why didn't you tell me earlier

Edited by lojo