Why become a member? ×

Why the hate?

barneyg42

[quote name='barneyg42' timestamp='1470733482' post='3107943']
Adam Clayton.........apparently talentless?
Mark King.......sounds like a bag of spanners?
Matt Bellamy......nods his head funny!!
Jaco Pastorius....[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Sounds like someone making comedy fart noises with their armpit[/font][/color]
[/quote]

Had to fix that for you Barney. You had Jaco in the wrong camp.
:D

Does talent equate to how fast/complicated someones playing is?

IME musicians who have developed some chops and feel the need to demonstrate said chops at every opportunity regardless of whether it fits the music or not are not very enjoyable to work with or to listen to, especially if their time feel isn't that good.

Does a bands recorded output necessarily indicate the full scope of what the abilities of the musicians involved are?

Maybe, or maybe not - some musicians never lose the desire to improve even if their main paying gig doesn't allow them to showcase the full extent of their abilities - could you make a judgement about George Benson's ability as a jazz guitarist by listening to this ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ok__l1Acuwg
He certainly got plenty of hate at the time for "selling out" and making records for a wider audience than jazz afficianados.

Yep... I don't get this stopped listening thing to music/players when not from a certain period.

I don't see how you can improve when you have a small band of reference and the bass is lights years away from what it was in the 60's and 70's
If I wasn't improving then I wouldn't keep playing. but that is me.
I'd be interested in tacking on latter influences to earlier ones and building up a right of mish-mash of cliches.. :lol:

[quote name='SubsonicSimpleton' timestamp='1470834368' post='3108798']
Does talent equate to how fast/complicated someones playing is?

IME musicians who have developed some chops and feel the need to demonstrate said chops at every opportunity regardless of whether it fits the music or not are not very enjoyable to work with or to listen to, especially if their time feel isn't that good.

Does a bands recorded output necessarily indicate the full scope of what the abilities of the musicians involved are?

Maybe, or maybe not - some musicians never lose the desire to improve even if their main paying gig doesn't allow them to showcase the full extent of their abilities - could you make a judgement about George Benson's ability as a jazz guitarist by listening to this ?

[/quote]

No, it doesn't equate but most people can play...Jaco spent years in Top 40's bands honing his thing... that sounds like good background to me.
You could be a player who only has the one niche or outlet and get lucky.. but that skill might not transfer over anywhere else. Fortunately, the most famous examples of that meant they earnt so much they didn't need another gig anyway
Notables, IMO
Entwhistle
McVie
Geddy Lee etc etc etc

I'd be surprised if too many had really poor time though...
I suspect that U2 would craft and produce their tracks to get it perfect. That is a luxury they may well afford but there is only so far you can go with building a house on sand. At some point someone somewhere could have said, we need to let this guy go, it isn't working... and they didn't...?

Most players that have been playing have a decent trick or two... or even if they are quite focused on a certain style will have THAT style down, IMO.

Edited by JTUK

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1470826090' post='3108727']
Whether or not saying, 'Adam Clayton is a talentless bass player' is defamatory or not, is all that's questionable, same goes whether or not people agree with the aforementioned statement.

Look, at the end of the day, he's not John Myung or Geddy Lee. Or Flea or Bootsy. (Or <insert name here>.) Yes, I get that. He obviously must have something going on otherwise U2 would have fired him years ago, but you know the thing is after all this time, I'm still struggling to work out what it actually is.
[/quote]

What none of us should be struggling with, because it's staring us all in the face, is that he hasn't held back U2 from becoming one of the biggest, richest and most successful bands on the planet. That's quite some achievement in itself isn't it?

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1470735945' post='3107979']
Got any links? can't say as I've seen it - especially on BC.
[/quote]

There was someone only on Monday criticising Adam Clayton for being talentless. I thought to myself, well who's playing in one of the biggest bands for the last 30 years, you or him :).

Here, post #4, made me smile, [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/289636-want-it-try-it-dont-like-it/page__p__3107721__hl__clayton__fromsearch__1#entry3107721"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/289636-want-it-try-it-dont-like-it/page__p__3107721__hl__clayton__fromsearch__1#entry3107721[/url]

Edited by ambient

[quote name='Wolverinebass' timestamp='1470820933' post='3108668']

Secondly, Guy Berryman of Coldplay.
[/quote]
I have to disagree there old bean. Well, only as far as his playing on Parachutes. Some rather lovely little lines on that. They lost me after that one. And they seemed to lose Guy in the mix on all subsequent releases.

I don't hate any players, but there are far worse out there. Saw The Cribs at the Isle of Wight Festival this year. Dreadful, awful band.

[quote name='Grassie' timestamp='1470841073' post='3108861']

Saw The Cribs at the Isle of Wight Festival this year. Dreadful, awful band.
[/quote]

I'm with you on that one. Utter garbage, they are the kind of band that people like the idea of - 3 brothers, garage indie/punk/rock but the reality is that they are dire.

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1470782860' post='3108511']
I think the second team are slightly disadvantaged. Could I suggest Mark King, Adam Clayton, and Chris Wolstenholme for that team, and Jaco Pastorius, Bernie Edwards, and John Entwistle for the dead team?
[/quote]

What I took from that was that MAJ is disadvantaged in that two of its bassists are ALIVE!

Good one, heeheehee

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1470771242' post='3108371']
No hate, however when your my age, these guys are not relevant to me. The guys I like and have influenced, me cone out of the 60s & 70s.
[/quote]

Same here. Nothing much does it for me after 1980.

Moreover, I'm perfectly relaxed about my musical tastes should anyone feel the need to 'put me right' ;)

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1470824566' post='3108713']

I'm sorry but IMO that's a really sad attitude to have.

I'm only a little bit younger than you but I'm still finding all sorts of new and interesting music all the time and without even having to look all that hard. It doesn't matter if it come from the 70s when I was just discovering pop/rock or a brand new band who just stuck up their first recordings on Bandcamp last week. If I like it, then it's worth my time and money.

If I felt like you I'd probably give up both playing and listening to any kind of music.
[/quote]

I love music, playing and listening it's how I make a living.

Blue

[quote name='neilp' timestamp='1470776637' post='3108447']

If you've ever experienced U2 live you'll know how incredibly tight they are. Adam Clayton is definitely not sh*te. There are loads of bass players with impressive chops who couldn't do what he does anywhere near as well. Less is almost always more
[/quote]

Agreed, when i saw them he was great. Not the flashiest but does the job, theres no need for him to do more.

For what its worth, listen to his bass playing on stranger in a strange land. Nice playing on it!

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1470836702' post='3108830']
There was someone only on Monday criticising Adam Clayton for being talentless. I thought to myself, well who's playing in one of the biggest bands for the last 30 years, you or him :).

Here, post #4, made me smile, [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/289636-want-it-try-it-dont-like-it/page__p__3107721__hl__clayton__fromsearch__1#entry3107721"]http://basschat.co.u..._1#entry3107721[/url]
[/quote]

Yeah, I saw that, as mentioned in my reply #33 of this thread.
What tickles me is I know a handful of fully pro players and had extended conversations with a few others and I've never once heard anyone of any note say anything derogatory about a fellow pro. There must be some kind of glass ceiling that you get through where you just live and let live.

[quote name='neilp' timestamp='1470787555' post='3108527']
If you could do it as well and as tight as Mr Clayton does it, root notes or not, you probably wouldn't still be playing in bar bands. In my opinion.......
[/quote]

Yeah, I agree Pub & ,Bar bands are a waste of time.

Blue

Pic,pretty nice stage for a bar . :D

Edited by blue

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1470826090' post='3108727']
Strange, but an albeit interesting question and something I've given a bit of thought to this morning.

OK, entitlement. Hard to quantify, if wholly necessary, from a musical perspective . I can give you my full 30+ year bass-playing backstory tour if you want ('[i]Paul Anthony; My Life In Music'[/i]), but fear it'll be a bit on the boring side, albeit juxtapositioned with sadly infrequent peaks of excitement ([i]'Chapter 3; Polydor' [/i]and [i]'Chapter 7; Partying with Motley Crue'[/i]), but I'm unsure all this ebullience qualifies as entitlement per se.

Luckily, I'm still able to think for myself and from the evidence available, formulate and postulate my own judgments. This, combined with Article 10 of the European Convention, dictates I'm [i]entitled[/i] to freedom of speech. So there's your entitlement. Whether or not saying, 'Adam Clayton is a talentless bass player' is defamatory or not, is all that's questionable, same goes whether or not people agree with the aforementioned statement.

Look, at the end of the day, he's not John Myung or Geddy Lee. Or Flea or Bootsy. (Or <insert name here>.) Yes, I get that. He obviously must have something going on otherwise U2 would have fired him years ago, but you know the thing is after all this time, I'm still struggling to work out what it actually is.
[/quote]

You definitely get an A in semantics & probably in Hard Sums, too, I suspect!
Mind you, since you are a relatively inexperienced bass player by your own admission, I guess I can afford to be generous and allow your opinion, even if it is W R O N G!!!!!!

:D

[quote name='interpol52' timestamp='1470841715' post='3108872']

I'm with you on that one. Utter garbage, they are the kind of band that people like the idea of - 3 brothers, garage indie/punk/rock but the reality is that they are dire.
[/quote]

God awful, nearly smashed my own TV when I saw that performance.

I then realised I held the remote in my hand and turned it off.

Utter dogshit.

I certainly don't hate Adam Clayton. Some of his bass lines have been really good. I agree that it's ridiculous why he is regarded as being poor. It's Bonio I hate, just cos he's such a sanctimonious little knob. But that's my opinion.
I can never understand the Nickelback hatred either. They are a great band with some catchy songs.

For me Mark King's the mutts nuts basswise. Adam Clayton's no worse than a million other root note merchants like the blokes in The Cult, Judas Priest, AC/DC, Status Quo, Manics, Saxon, Coldplay etc. The problem for them is to come up with interesting lines when the music they play is undemanding. And as for AC' s band mates none of them are any great shakes.

I must be (almost) alone in not hating [i]any [/i]bass player really. There are people that I think aren't really lighting my candle (eg Jaco/Wootten with all the widdling) but thats about as far as I get down that road. It doesnt matter if its demanding or not, if people [i][u]like it [/u][/i]then your work is done. If they get up and dance, its gold-star time.

I spent three songs at an OM night playing root/(3rd)/fifth patterns as my regular partner had chosen some fifties/sixties songs that he liked (Cash, Berry, Elvis etc) and the crowd went [i]totally [/i]mad for it. [b]Thats [/b]why I play bass**, whats your reason ?

Would they have liked it more if I had woven some intricate pattern of harmonics around the simple tunes? I suspect not.

[size=3]** that and the fact that sunburst P basses look totally cool, in my humble opinion [/size]

Edited by Geek99

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1470900570' post='3109183']
It's Bonio I hate, just cos he's such a sanctimonious little knob.
[/quote]

I've not seen his little knob but the qualities you describe make him an ideal front man for a band of U2s stature. I think I'm right in saying that U2 isn't his band anyway, one of the other members started it. I'd larf if it turns out to be Adam.