Why become a member? ×

Post your pedal board - Basschat style!!

dudewheresmybass

I'm in the process of altering my pedalboard setup. Since my last band ended, I no longer need to provide octave up to fill in between bass and violin so off goes the octaver. In its place, I'm getting a pedal tuner from a friend, so on goes a Korg Pitchblack Advance. A bit of fiddling around this evening proves to me that I really do just need a compressor, bass friendly chorus and preamp with a drive circuit. As such, my setup is now Pitchblack tuner - Wampler Mini Ego, EHX Bass Clone, MXR Carbon Copy Mini - Tech 21 VTBass DI. Okay, so I do occasionally have use for a delay.

I did play around with settings and realised I was overdoing the rate of the chorus and pulled it back from 12 o'clock to around 7 o'clock but keeping the depth all the way up. Drive is at about 9 o'clock for my core tone but I do like to sound of the drive at full - not sure when I'd use that much though.

Very minimalist setup but if you don't need something, why have it?

• Like 1

Most recent incarnation of my "amp-less" pedal setup (If I recall right the main difference from last I posted my pedal setup is that I swapped the TC Electronic Shaker vibrato, which I used as a chorus, with a custom Toneprint, utilizing a triangle wave vibrato blended with parallel clean signal to obtain a lush chorus effect, for a Valeton Aquaflow Vintage Chorus, which is an all analog take on the legendary Boss CE-1 circuit) :

Bass-Pedal-Board-100922-Final-Cut-Smalle

For full signal chain description see my forum profile: https://www.basschat.co.uk/profile/50585-baloney-balderdash/?tab=field_core_pfield_1

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 3

On 10/09/2022 at 23:53, Bassmidget209 said:

That is a geometric masterpiece. I mean I'm sure it sounds good but that would make me happy to just look at.

Thanks mate! Awesome sound and stunning visual is always a brilliant pedalboard combo for me. I guess it's the graphic designer in me that eyed an aesthetic and organized look for the board I planned 😃 Cheers!

23 minutes ago, tayste_2000 said:

NUX Bumblebee

https://www.nuxefx.com/bumblebee.html

Don't look, they are priced at a point where you'll buy one immediately

I think you grossly overestimate what I would spend on a pedalboard 😂
But yeah, really cool product, definitely on my radar for less lean times. Great that the bag is included (or certainly is on the listing i'm looking at).

Si

Edited by Sibob
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bigwan said:

That's a very interesting little pedalboard... I wonder if there's enough space under the tier for "set and forget" pedals... Hmm... @Spoonman can you confirm? 

Maybe! Depends on the pedals I suppose. It gets a bit crowded after you squeeze your power supply and cabling in, but something tiny might squeeze in. It's about 42mm of height, and then 85mm of depth under there, from a quick measure of mine. You can change the positioning of the rungs on the board though, so the depth can be different. Mine has ended up with a bit of pedal overlap of the top shelf over the bottom. This is what the back and sides look like if it helps...

PXL_20220913_122858605.thumb.jpg.d67b136b52e3433a779367081aa5853c.jpg

PXL_20220913_123354527.thumb.jpg.a805906b758ea2e74f7eca70013c3845.jpg

• Like 2

Another mini board iteration. This saves me lugging my big board around when I only need a few sounds, but is still pretty versatile, especially with the C4. I can also swap it out for a drive if/when that is required. I'm also super proud of the power supply. It's pretty tricky to find one small enough for the Nano but the Gigrig stuff is the best as ever (though I'm using it very much against their recommendations).

IMG20220913183607.thumb.jpg.33c49582578ee61ebaf01ffcb04c9ed7.jpg      

IMG20220913183721.thumb.jpg.350b99874e7a3804852ea7f2b98bab8f.jpg

• Like 5

Another change up from me. Swiss army essentials board that can (and will, eventually) link up to the Schmidt Array studio board with everything else on it. The plan is to acquire a Morningstar ML10X for the Schmidt Array, as I already own the MC8. That will link up with this board via the magic of TRS/MIDI giving me total preset/patch control of every pedal on each board.

336361234_RockboardTres3.0(Top).thumb.jpg.8030b573f1c31d136aac6d5928222fe8.jpg

Bass > Morningstar ML5 > HX Stomp (with Bright Onion Aux switch) > Khan VTDI

ML5 Loops are as follows:

A > Peterson StrobostompHD

B > Aguilar Octamizer

C > Origin Cali76 (running at 18v)

D > Hamstead Subspace

E > TRS splitter cable

MIDI Chain - Out of HX Stomp > IN of ML5 (Eventually the MIDI IN of HX Stomp will connect to the MOD Patchbay - More on that later)

The MOD Patchbay on the Rockboard  is where my dual board fantasy comes to life 🤣i All are TRS inputs/outputs so this makes a lot of what I want to do possible, with just a few cables.

A - Input from Bass to the ML5

B - Will eventually run a TRS to 5 Pin MIDI cable to the MIDI In of the Stomp. There will be a corresponding cable on the Schmidt too, which is connected to the MC8/ML10X combo so when the boards are connected with a TRS cable, it will allow the MC8 to talk to the ML10X, ML5 and HX Stomp, yet when disconnected the Stomp will just control the ML5.

C - Haven't decided what this will be used for yet

D - Connects to the TRS Splitter cable in Loop E of the ML5. Another of these on the TRS Patchbay on the Schmidt Array will allow me to patch the whole Schmidt Array board into loop E of the ML5 with a single TRS cable.

E - 1/4" Out from the Khan VTDI to Amp

XLR - DI Out from the Khan VTDI to Mixing Desk

Here is a pic of the underside for good measure. Power is split at the MOD, one goes direct to the Khan, the other to the Generator. Distributor is powering the Temple Audio USB Adaptor, the GigRig Doubler for the Cali76, the Isolator and the Stomp (just awaiting a GigRig Mr Universe to power the Stomp, and we're good to go!) and the Isolator is powering the Subspace, Octamizer, ML5 and StrobostompHD. Distributor also has a spare 9v out hanging loose (seen hanging from the bottom of the board in this pic) which charges my Bluetooth footswitch for my iPad.

577607228_RockboardTres3.0(Underside).thumb.jpg.79203dd8fab9583dbd35a91a17f3c1ce.jpg

• Like 8

It's been a while.... I dallied with multi fx. Thought this is great, got an HX Stomp, but added a wah. And added a Boss SY-1. And an outboard tuner. And a Boss OC-2. Realised I was barely using the HX Stomp so I sold it. Now this is my board....

Bass>smoothound wireless.

Smoothound into Fender Downtown Express with compressor engaged, drive and EQ ready to go.

Tuner out going to HB micro tuner.

Fender Downtown Express going out to Boss OC-2

Boss OC-2 into Darkglass Duality Fuzz.

Fuzz into SY-1 that has the Nektar expression pedal.

Finally, the AMT Bass wah.

I love sending the OC-2 into the fuzz set low on the old school setting. And sending that fuzz into the SY-1. 

The wah and SY-1 don't get used that often. I'm still finding places for the OC-2 but when I used it live at the weekend the sound-man jumped 😄

Happy to take any advice on pedal order and setting etc. 

IMG_20220914_111926.jpg

• Like 2

On 13/09/2022 at 22:53, Higgie said:

Another change up from me. Swiss army essentials board that can (and will, eventually) link up to the Schmidt Array studio board with everything else on it. The plan is to acquire a Morningstar ML10X for the Schmidt Array, as I already own the MC8. That will link up with this board via the magic of TRS/MIDI giving me total preset/patch control of every pedal on each board.

336361234_RockboardTres3.0(Top).thumb.jpg.8030b573f1c31d136aac6d5928222fe8.jpg

Bass > Morningstar ML5 > HX Stomp (with Bright Onion Aux switch) > Khan VTDI

ML5 Loops are as follows:

A > Peterson StrobostompHD

B > Aguilar Octamizer

C > Origin Cali76 (running at 18v)

D > Hamstead Subspace

E > TRS splitter cable

MIDI Chain - Out of HX Stomp > IN of ML5 (Eventually the MIDI IN of HX Stomp will connect to the MOD Patchbay - More on that later)

The MOD Patchbay on the Rockboard  is where my dual board fantasy comes to life 🤣i All are TRS inputs/outputs so this makes a lot of what I want to do possible, with just a few cables.

A - Input from Bass to the ML5

B - Will eventually run a TRS to 5 Pin MIDI cable to the MIDI In of the Stomp. There will be a corresponding cable on the Schmidt too, which is connected to the MC8/ML10X combo so when the boards are connected with a TRS cable, it will allow the MC8 to talk to the ML10X, ML5 and HX Stomp, yet when disconnected the Stomp will just control the ML5.

C - Haven't decided what this will be used for yet

D - Connects to the TRS Splitter cable in Loop E of the ML5. Another of these on the TRS Patchbay on the Schmidt Array will allow me to patch the whole Schmidt Array board into loop E of the ML5 with a single TRS cable.

E - 1/4" Out from the Khan VTDI to Amp

XLR - DI Out from the Khan VTDI to Mixing Desk

Here is a pic of the underside for good measure. Power is split at the MOD, one goes direct to the Khan, the other to the Generator. Distributor is powering the Temple Audio USB Adaptor, the GigRig Doubler for the Cali76, the Isolator and the Stomp (just awaiting a GigRig Mr Universe to power the Stomp, and we're good to go!) and the Isolator is powering the Subspace, Octamizer, ML5 and StrobostompHD. Distributor also has a spare 9v out hanging loose (seen hanging from the bottom of the board in this pic) which charges my Bluetooth footswitch for my iPad.

577607228_RockboardTres3.0(Underside).thumb.jpg.79203dd8fab9583dbd35a91a17f3c1ce.jpg

This is SO well thought out. Hats off, here. Superb work in rinsing the available space there. Patchbay with TRS for midi and/or audio is genius!

Can’t imagine a world without Morningstar products… I love my MC6

Edited by moley6knipe
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, moley6knipe said:

This is SO well thought out. Hats off, here. Superb work in rinsing the available space there. Patchbay with TRS for midi and/or audio is genius!

Can’t imagine a world without Morningstar products… I love my MC6

Thanks mate! It gave me many a headache planning it out and putting the bloody thing together, so glad to see it’s appreciated by someone else 😅 Definitely happy with what i’ve managed to cram on to it. Bit heavier than I thought it would be, but that’s not really a problem as it will eventually go in a wheeled peli case anyway.

The Morningstar stuff is phenomenal. That ML10X looks awesome. Looking forward to snagging one of them at some point!

• Like 1

On 11/09/2022 at 17:27, Spoonman said:

Pretty chuffed with this little compact board. It does everything I need...

PXL_20220828_140112679_MP.thumb.jpg.d2278f943478581168368fcdccaad297.jpg

I really think there should be a section of this forum, purely devoted to incredibly neat boards. I feel a Zen-like sensation of calm and stillness when I see a well ordered, compact pedalboard. This is lovely - kudos, sir.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1