Why become a member? ×

Enfield Guitars

Lfalex v1.1

I like the look of these.
Have a clicky around the various pages, but do check out the PDF of the pick-up switching! That should cover most basses (sic)
And with that EQ, too... (though I firmly believe that [i]only[/i] the Vigier Nautilus was overkill on the flexibility front)

Only downside is the prices...
And I'd want to try before I bought, of course.
I also liked the look of the carbon coated cedar neck - very Gus!

What say the learned basschatters?

[url="http://www.enfieldguitars.com"]Enfield Guitars[/url]

Edited by Lfalex v1.1

Hi There

I tried out a few of these a couple of weeks ago and they really are very good ,distinct tonal differences between the different pick up options (and the LEDs are very cool !) .They are also very well built and playable.

I will have a stand at music Live (7-9th November at the NEC) and will have 4 or 5 of these if you want to try one .

All the best

Darren
The Bass Merchant

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='297296' date='Oct 2 2008, 09:36 AM']Nice tidy profit margin being made on those, I think.[/quote]

isn't that the point of starting a buisness? same as fender, warwick, squier, ibanez, yamaha, alembic, status etc its all about the bottom line.

[quote name='Toasted' post='297302' date='Oct 2 2008, 09:45 AM']You have no possible way to know that.[/quote]
You're trying to bait me again.

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='297325' date='Oct 2 2008, 10:08 AM']isn't that the point of starting a buisness? same as fender, warwick, squier, ibanez, yamaha, alembic, status etc its all about the bottom line.[/quote]
Certainly is.

These look good and probably sound good as well, but where are the customers for a £3000 bass in the UK? BG, Overwater, Sei, RIM, ACG, the newly resurrecting Wal and others are already fighting over a very small customer base. The pickup is unique and flexible but didn't we discover in another thread that most of us get a sound we like then rarely change the tone controls? I wish Enfield Guitars good luck and think they'll need it starting up, as they are, on the verge of a recession.

The pickup is fugly, although I don't doubt its flexibility. I'd prefer to see it presented 'traditionally' as two separate units, albeit functioning as it presently does.
I'm very much liking this one:

But the prices? Oh dear oh dear oh deary deary dear. They'll be lucky to shift many I reckon.

[quote name='chris_b' post='297392' date='Oct 2 2008, 11:13 AM']These look good and probably sound good as well, but where are the customers for a £3000 bass in the UK? BG, Overwater, Sei, RIM, ACG, the newly resurrecting Wal and others are already fighting over a very small customer base. The pickup is unique and flexible but didn't we discover in another thread that most of us get a sound we like then rarely change the tone controls? I wish Enfield Guitars good luck and think they'll need it starting up, as they are, on the verge of a recession.[/quote]

Speaking of Wal there is quite a striking resemblance isn't there...

[quote name='chris_b' post='297392' date='Oct 2 2008, 11:13 AM']These look good and probably sound good as well, but where are the customers for a £3000 bass in the UK? BG, Overwater, Sei, RIM, ACG, the newly resurrecting Wal and others are already fighting over a very small customer base. The pickup is unique and flexible but didn't we discover in another thread that most of us get a sound we like then rarely change the tone controls? I wish Enfield Guitars good luck and think they'll need it starting up, as they are, on the verge of a recession.[/quote]

I think there's definitely merit in the concept. I definitely need two instruments for my function band and in an ideal world I'd have three (5 string/p-bass/stingray), I think the launch might just be unfortunate timing on their part. The recession is hitting pretty quickly, no month is the same at the moment. Knowing the lead in times with suppliers and outsourcing, the financial committment would probably have been made long before the recession started to bite.

All purely speculation (but educated speculation nonetheless) on my part BTW. It would be interesting to know how many instruments they anticipated shifting a month in order to cover their overheads.

[quote name='Rich' post='297431' date='Oct 2 2008, 11:59 AM']....The pickup is fugly, although I don't doubt its flexibility. I'd prefer to see it presented 'traditionally' as two separate units, albeit functioning as it presently does....[/quote]
Just think of it as two pickups and a ramp.

[quote name='Waldo' post='297577' date='Oct 2 2008, 02:07 PM']They really need to work on that website if they're serious about selling anything......it's f***ing terrible.[/quote]
Fair comment, but I'd rather that (in the early days, at least) the company concentrated on the product before shelling out on a glossy 'site.

How I wish I was fighting away in the 3K bracket unfortunately no where near that as far as my prices are concerned.

I played a couple of these at the LGS earlier this year. Pretty good. The pickup and pre-amp is very flexible - lots of sounds there. However I was less impressed with the very V-shaped neck. This is probably the only high-end bass I've played where the neck shape actually made a negative impact on my perception of the instrument.

Price-wise I think it's about right for the quality of the bass - provided that you like the neck because according to Martin Sims at the time they would all be like that (maybe this will change later after some more use feedback?)

However the web site is appalling. Design is a subjective matter, but ease of use isn't and the navigation leaves much to be desired!

[quote name='Toasted' post='297371' date='Oct 2 2008, 10:56 AM']I'm honestly not going to waste my time trying to bait you, (I'll save that for bassmankev - he's much more entertaining).[/quote]

nice try :)

Velly intellesting!

I think they look awesome - almost `Wal-ish' as Bigwan noted (check out the bridge - a Dingwalled Wal!) and the overall shape/styling is similar to the Wals - definitely interested in trying them out! From what I've read, I don't think Martin is concerned with huge sales - its more of a passion thing as the rest of his business (Sims Custom shop) appears to be doing well.

Nick