Why become a member? ×

Well i never... this is going to gain some interest.... ( warning addictive wal content)

funkgod

gulp.......
im now looking at fake death insurance....

im going to guess this will go to the usa as im sure if mike G sees it, it will be gone.

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Early-Wal-Bass-JG-custom-/152149147346?hash=item236ccbbed2:g:GeQAAOSwbYZXdDLo#ht_122wt_975"]http://www.ebay.co.u...Lo#ht_122wt_975[/url]

One of the 46.

Beautiful and unique.

About 20 years ago I heard someone playing Martin Kemp's JG in the Bass Cellar, Denmark Street. It was the best sounding bass I've ever heard. I had a mortgage and young kids so I couldn't afford the £1000 price tag. A "one that got away" moment. I still regret being so sensible.

A lot later I asked Pete Stephens if he could build me a 5 string that sounded like that. He said they were close but couldn't replicate the sound. He thought the sound of all their basses changed slightly when the UK went metric and they had to use different sized wire for the pickups.

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1467289877' post='3082548']
You guys clearly were absent for the late 70s early 80s British bass player scene........
[/quote]

I wonder if that's why lots of old folk wear glasses now

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1467290303' post='3082555']

I wonder if that's why lots of old folk wear glasses now
[/quote]

Entirely possible!! Eye of beholder I guess - nope it ain't a ubiquitous standard production layout from one of our favourite US makers but some people's taste maybe extends further. That leather scratch plate is a little esoteric though!!

Edited by drTStingray

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1467291194' post='3082573']
Entirely possible!! Eye of beholder I guess - nope it ain't a ubiquitous standard production layout from one of our favourite US makers but some people's taste maybe extends further. That leather scratch plate is a little esoteric though!!
[/quote]

I'm all for non fender shapes. Very much so. It's that scratchplate!

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1467291836' post='3082581']

I'm all for non fender shapes. Very much so. It's that scratchplate!
[/quote]

Yep I know what you mean. I'm trying to avoid getting too interested in this bass because I know I'll end up disappointed.

[quote name='lowhand_mike' timestamp='1467296703' post='3082633']
fret board could do with a really good clean, would have thought they would have at least done that for that much money and that scratch plate is awful
[/quote]

Couldn't help but think the same about the bridge......

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1467278972' post='3082425']
No doubt a great piece of history but I think it's one of the fugliest basses I've ever seen!
[/quote]

I'm afraid this for me, too. That...scratchplate... :(

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1467278972' post='3082425']
No doubt a great piece of history but I think it's one of the fugliest basses I've ever seen!
[/quote]

Each to their own... I love the look of the JG series basses. But then again, take a look at my Sig below. It would be mighty strange if I didn't! :-)

Edited by TrevorR