Why become a member? ×

Worst musical equipment monetary loss you taken

Twincam

[quote name='4stringslow' timestamp='1467221069' post='3082076']
I assume 100% monetary loss on everything I buy.

I rarely sell anything, so it's the safest option.
[/quote]
I'm pretty much the same.

I have sold a couple of basses, but one was my first, which was a Christmas present so didn't cost me anything, and the second was a gift from someone who didn't play it.

I swapped a Carlsboro Stingray amp head for my first PC (a 286) but don't think I lost anything in that deal. I also sold a cab to a chap who gave it back to me, for free, after it spent a few years not being used in his spare room.

I did sell a guitar combo that I bought new, but I can't remember what I paid or how much I got for it. It wasn't an expensive one, though.

However, I have a couple of basses that I bought cheap, one new and one second hand, that never get played and they're not worth enough to go to the bother of selling. One is passive and has flats on it, so I could use it for certain stuff, or so I keep telling myself. The other I have had plans to de-fret for years, but haven't got around to it yet. So I am probably 100% down on those, unless I suddenly find uses for them.

Edited by KingBollock

Had a Fender Bassman amp head. Took it to Andy's Guitars on Demark Street, for a commission sale. Andy Preston sold it, didn't give me the money, was subject to CCJ's, then went bankrupt, while managing to keep his Rolls Royce. So £500 loss.

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1467279558' post='3082432']
My £4k custom 9 string left-handed headless with gold hardware and Gary Glitter artwork. Lost a bit on that. Seemed like a good idea at the time.
[/quote]

Ah yes painted and signed by the artist Rolf Harris if I remember right? Lol!

[quote name='MacDaddy' timestamp='1467280684' post='3082439']
Had a Fender Bassman amp head. Took it to Andy's Guitars on Demark Street, for a commission sale. Andy Preston sold it, didn't give me the money, was subject to CCJ's, then went bankrupt, while managing to keep his Rolls Royce. So £500 loss.
[/quote]

Sounds familar, but I did eventually get my money - after several bounced cheques and a smalls-claims court action. Still regret selling the basses though!

[quote name='jimbobothy' timestamp='1467221475' post='3082080']
Bought a used Limelight jazz for £700, spent a bit on a few things for it and sold for £550. I thought I got a good deal when I bought it (well I did!). The market can be very strange sometimes can't it!
[/quote]

I could see this happening a mile off with the Limelight stuff to be honest, not because I don't like what they're doing (because I think they look decent enough). It's difficult to quantify and I don't want to upset anyone; I'd love to believe that their basses are lovingly crafted with due care and attention (like the Bravewood stuff), but I just get the feeling that this isn't the case. If it's the latter, it's potentially a tremendous mark up for bolting together some instruments in a Dr Frankenstein manner.

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1467276902' post='3082408']

Yup, Rays were at least sellable - I couldn't get any interest in the Ric...I also had a 70s Precision (can't remember the year) which went for bugger all, too. I'm talking £200 or so...

I may just have been a numpty, tho - I replaced the 4001 with an Aria ZZB Custom, and I was delighted... :( :D
[/quote]

You hit the nail on the head there - Fenders were virtually unsaleable back then unless pre CBS - active basses with fat sound, or keyboard bass ruled. I have a slight chuckle to myself when I see the price some of those 80s Fenders fetch now.

It shows how the market is so influenced by fashion - you'd be as likely to see young guys travelling to London on the train to record on their keyboards (eg Depeche Mode) as guitars - perhaps more so - think Casio rather than Gibson etc!!

A guy I played with for a while bought a left-handed Crimson guitar (actual photo below). While the total price was unspecified, it was inferred that it cost a horrific amount of money...he mentioned he could have "bought two or three Les Pauls for the price", so go figure.

There were issues with the build, Crimson liquidated mid-build and then restarted, eventually finishing and delivering the instrument. I jammed with the owner a few times and he used the guitar for a couple of songs, it certainly didn't have any wow factor. It disappeared and I never saw it again. I found out a while later that the guitar sold on eBay for about 20% what he paid for it.

Yikes.

Although I already had a few guitars, I got into bass guitar, bought one and a practice amp for about £500. Then I bought another for about £900, and an amp/speaker for another £500. And some pedals, maybe another £300. I haven't sold any of them, but had to sell my house and buy a bigger one. I reckon that cost me about £200k, plus the solicitor fees and stamp duty.

Zoom MRS 1044 CD. I knew it would devalue when I got it, stuff like that is always being replaced by newer tech. Don't recall what I paid for it but it wasn't cheap. Just never had the time to fully use it, did a couple of recording projects then on eBay and got a fraction back of what I paid.

I reckon my Peavey Foundation was the biggest loss I've taken on any music gear. I paid nearly £200 for a 90s one which was already over the odds and when it arrived the body was in pretty horrible nick. After several attempts to try and fix it up myself I ended up buying an early 80s body & bridge from the States; I forget how much it cost but probably close to £100 with shipping etc. I could never get it set up quite right and eventually sold it for £125 which was pretty depressing. Peaveys are well regarded but they always seem to sell for a lot less than they're probably worth - good for a buyer but bad for a seller.

i bought a Musicman Stingray in 93/94 for about £800 used from a shop in manchester with my student loan so i had to live very carefully but i had to have it. It was natural clear finish with maple neck and fret board i had the foam mutes on the bridge too. 2 band eq. sounded awesome. i loved it it was my dream bass.
fast forward a few years and we were skint and the washing machine had broke so the only thing of value i had was the ray and the laney amp i had. took it to the local guitar shop and he would only give me £300 for the pair. but we needed the money
still feel sick thinking about that now

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1467289349' post='3082540']
I could see this happening a mile off with the Limelight stuff to be honest, not because I don't like what they're doing (because I think they look decent enough). It's difficult to quantify and I don't want to upset anyone; I'd love to believe that their basses are lovingly crafted with due care and attention (like the Bravewood stuff), but I just get the feeling that this isn't the case. If it's the latter, it's potentially a tremendous mark up for bolting together some instruments in a Dr Frankenstein manner.
[/quote]

My experience has been the polar opposite of this. Now I'm not expecting them to be hand carved from exotic woods from the moons of Endor but the few I've played have all felt and sounded great. When you order with Mark he listens to what you want, asks a whole heap of questions and offers some other ideas and then assembles what you asked for. I would certainly imagine the parts mark up on a real Fender to be considerably higher and with a Limelight you get to choose what you want it to look like. At under £800 I think that's pretty decent service and seeing as they don't appear to depreciate anywhere near as much as real fenders I can think of far worse musical investments to make.

A brand new bass I bought for £1300, but after nine months of gigging it I decided it really wasnt doing it for me and off it went. Ended up getting about £750 in a part ex for it. Ooh what a stinger that was.

I got a lovely bass in exchange which softened the blow somewhat, and which I like to think has by now paid off some of the difference...

Bugger tho innit.

[quote name='lowhand_mike' timestamp='1467296354' post='3082627']
i bought a Musicman Stingray in 93/94 for about £800 used from a shop in manchester with my student loan so i had to live very carefully but i had to have it.
[/quote]

They were about £750 new at that time (I have the original bill for mine) - however £300 from a shop is a big drop.

Edited by drTStingray

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1467302448' post='3082699']
They were about £750 new at that time (I have the original bill for mine) - however £300 from a shop is a big drop.
[/quote]
must have been new then but my memory is VERY hazy from that time, far to much recrational wotsits :D

Edited by lowhand_mike

Tascam TD-M4000 40-channel digital mixing desk.

Should have been £7000, but Tascam were doing a deal where you could get it for half price if you also bought 3 of their 8-track digital tape machines to go with it. I had a friend working for a pro-audio dealer who knew he could sell the tape machines separately so I was able to get the mixer on its own for £3500.

It worked fine for about 12 years although many of the promised software functions were never implemented and the automation never worked reliably. Then one day it wouldn't boot up anymore - just coming up with a "fatal error" code on the display and nothing more. Contacted Tascam who said that it would cost £150 for them just to look at it, but the chances were that the problem wasn't fixable because they no longer had any parts for it. Also discovered that due to the size and weight it would cost another £150 just to ship it back to Tascam.

Ended up selling it for less than £300 for parts.

Last year I gave an as-new Cort T-34 bass (with a quite amazing finish) and a not-too-reliable Behringer head to a builder/aspiring bassist, in part-payment for a (bodged) concrete garage base.

Otherwise I've actually made money on stuff I've sold, or just lost a few quid. I currently have a silly number of instruments sitting around and getting neither played or sold, because I know I'll lose money if I sell them now. Do need to bite the bullet, really.

Jon.

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1467315021' post='3082822']
Last year I gave an as-new Cort T-34 bass (with a quite amazing finish) and a not-too-reliable Behringer head to a builder/aspiring bassist, in part-payment for a (bodged) concrete garage base.

Otherwise I've actually made money on stuff I've sold, or just lost a few quid. I currently have a silly number of instruments sitting around and getting neither played or sold, because I know I'll lose money if I sell them now. Do need to bite the bullet, really.

Jon.
[/quote]
I have the T-35 in, I suspect, the same finish.

Some bloke had bought it for £350, as a first bass, four months later he decided it wasn't for him and sold it back to the shop. I then bought it for £220. It still had the plastic on the cavity cover and machine heads. I dread to think what he actually sold it back for for the shop to still make a second profit on it (and I don't doubt that they did).