Why become a member? ×

Substitute > Show us your 2nd stringer

Born 2B Mild

Over the years, I have learned the hard way, and nowadays I always bring a spare bass with me to gigs. In mid song, if a string breaks, a battery dies, or some hardware or electronics go SNAFU, it's important to me to be able to pick up a tuned-up spare and carry on. I use a Spector Euro LX5 as my main stage bass, but my spare, a Spector Performer pictured here, is a passive cheapie that I bought for a song, off eBay. As yet, it hasn't come off the subs bench. but I feel better for knowing it's there.

What's your regular first choice spare that you bring to gigs? Come on, show us YOUR Super Sub!

I don't have a backup.

I usually take goldie and oldie to gigs and change between them during the night for no other reason than for a change.

Im still learning to play these basses. It normally takes about a year for me to become totally familiar with a bass. After changing basses every week or two when I was experimenting its really good to have 2 definite basses that are keepers.

I don't have a back up but I do take 2 basses to a gig. Usually a 5 or 6 plus a Stingray/Cutlass for the disco songs. I try to plan enough so that I don't need a back up (spare strings, batteries etc.) but I could play both sets on one bass with minor adjustments in fingering.

I was forced recently to resort to my Ibanez GSR200 when my main bass, my US Precision, had pickup trouble. Never again, I decided, and so recently purchased this from Platypus. MIM Precision with Wizard Thumper, CTS pots and copper shielded electrics. Also had full 'ashtrays' which I'm afraid didn't last long. Currently getting more use than the US one. Has TI flats on it, which I'm also rather liking, although I've always been a roundwound man. My initial plan was to replace the tort pickguard with a black one, but I do quite like the red-oddly enough my first Precision, a Japanese '62 reissue (should have kept it!!!) also had a red tort scratchplate. Can't guarantee it won't get swapped for a black one at some point, but I'm happy with it at the moment. Also having a hard think about upgrading the bridge. Not had a chance to give it a proper workout yet, but should do soon, and a brief blast through my Trace sounded pretty good. Having stood around watching a bloke change a broken string on stage, I like to have a spare standing by, and I'm well pleased with this one!

My Warwick Corvette is my back up. It used to be my main bass but since the acquisition of my Zoot it's been relegated to the back of the stage. I don't actually need it but can't part with it as it was my first "proper" bass and i've done hundreds of gigs with it.
Still use it as my main bass at some of the more unsavoury venues we play :)

Edited for morning-after-the-gig typos!

Edited by lemmywinks

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='293752' date='Sep 28 2008, 09:27 AM']I've also stopped taking a backup unless the gig's a really big one. Like Kiwi, I carry around tools, batts, strings etc.[/quote]
I too carry a set of tools and spare strings and batteries, which is fine for fixing problems between sets, but it's in the middle of a song that Sod's law dictates a problem occurs. Much better to have a stand-by ready IMHO.

I don't have a back up. I used to have a 5 string Groove which was a "2nd" bass but that's just been sold to silverfoxnik, now I literally have my Retroactive, a Groove 4 string fretless and a cheap J copy which was my first bass.

Got 2 5-strings in planning tho - the singlecut multiscale one in build diaries (linky in my sig) and when I can afford it, another Status :)